Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on chilminding

Options
  • 15-12-2013 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello! We need your opinion on this. We are a Portuguese couple, 31 and 32, arrived Ireland last January. Both teachers with experience and references, me Physical Education (level 8 HETAC) and my girlfriend Primary teacher (level 9 HETAC). Both of us are fluent in English.

We are thinking about renting a space in the south side of Dublin and offer an option to parents of children between 2 and 10, who need someone to mind their children afterschool.

The offer includes collect children from school, help with homework, French and/or Portuguese teaching, physical activity adapted to children age, plastic expression, play time and meals.

1. 1. Does this kind of offer exist already? Will it display interest?
    1. 2. What kind of law requirements we need to open this space?
    1. 3. What would you think is a fair charge?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hello! We need your opinion on this. We are a Portuguese couple, 31 and 32, arrived Ireland last January. Both teachers with experience and references, me Physical Education (level 8 HETAC) and my girlfriend Primary teacher (level 9 HETAC). Both of us are fluent in English.

We are thinking about renting a space in the south side of Dublin and offer an option to parents of children between 2 and 10, who need someone to mind their children afterschool.

The offer includes collect children from school, help with homework, French and/or Portuguese teaching, physical activity adapted to children age, plastic expression, play time and meals.

1. 1. Does this kind of offer exist already? Will it display interest?
    1. 2. What kind of law requirements we need to open this space?
    1. 3. What would you think is a fair charge?

Thank you!
    Some schools offer an after school service. There's a French primary school in foxrock my niece goes there, I'm not sure if they offer a service but if they don't having it in French would be a good deal. I think it's called hollybrook

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ted1 wrote: »
    Some schools offer an after school service. There's a French primary school in foxrock my niece goes there, I'm not sure if they offer a service but if they don't having it in French would be a good deal. I think it's called hollybrook

Hollypark have an after school service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pedru_pereira

Thank you for your posts.

How much does Hollypark or Hollybrook charges per hour?

Is there a real need of this kind of services around Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thank you for your posts.

How much does Hollypark or Hollybrook charges per hour?

Is there a real need of this kind of services around Dublin?

It could have changed but from my memory the cost depends on how far in advance you book. I think it is around €3 per hour if booked in advance but if you book at short notice it is more expensive, can't remember exactly but maybe €6 per hour! The primary school is private so parents have to pay fees, maybe this has something to do with their afterschool care being cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Its an interesting proposition, but you should do your research carefully.

A lot of people mind a few kids after school in their own homes. As they have few extra expenses, this can
    be very good value for parents. However, the quality of the childcare can vary.

You are looking to provide a higher quality service, but this will cost more.

You should first find out how much the rent and insurance will cost you.
    You will have to locate close to a few schools and focus on them, as you cant pick up from lots of schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Other things to consider:

HSE approval

Garda checks - there is a huge backlog so you could be waiting months before you'd be able to start, if either of you don't have a current clearance you should apply as soon as possible.

Insurance - could prove very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pedru_pereira

Thank you for your opinions.

Yes, there is a lot to research and burocracy expected.

What would you think is a fair charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brack

Hi there,

In my kids school they provide aftercare and they charge 5 euro per hour which is an excellent price. They also provide a breakfast club before school opens for working parents. I think more schools are going to provide this service going forward and it would be very difficult for you to compete on price and convienence.
    I live in South County Dublin and lots of afterschool services are available now, check out www.apresschoolclub.ie, it's probably the newest one to the area and has been open 4 or 5 years and it's excellent

You need to do alot of research, maybe an afterschool language school might give you a different edge?

Best of luck

Advertisement