Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G&g/toptech sig 552

• 15-12-2013 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Anyone have one of these and if so. Are they any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Heya Horse - I've got one, and it's a superb piece of kit.

I'll start of by saying I am a huge fan of the SIG 552 - it was my favourite gun in my Counter-Strike days, and that just kind of stuck. Currently I have the JG, ICS & G&G 552, and the ICS 551 as well, so this will be more of a comparison than anything else.

The JG is the lowest quality - internally it's fine, but externally it is similar to the TM i.e. weak creaky plastic. G&G definitely wins on the external front, with ICS a close second. Both G&G and ICS have stamped steel upper receivers, however the G&G has a steel lower as well versus the ICS's monkey-metal lower. Colour and tone of the metal goes to G&G with a gun-metal grey versus ICS's blue-hue receiver. ICS's plastic parts (stock, grip and handguard) is black, whereas the G&G is OD green...I can't make up my mind on this front, so jury's out on that one.

Internally the G&G wins in terms of barrel and hop, with the ICS having a pretty poor barrel, and crap hop up rubber as standard. Chamber is fine, but just not great starting combination. The G&G on the other hand has my favourite hop up rubber (G&G Green) and a 6.04mm tightbore barrel. ICS wins out on the motor front - with an 8.4v battery it produces seriously impressive ROF for a stock gun, with the G&G's being noticeably slow...get rid of it as soon as you can (I recommend the SHS short...that's what's in mine, and running like a champ). Gears-wise...I would probably give it to the ICS for greater strength, though it is very close. Piston is much of a muchness, and I would definitely give the G&G the win for compression.

Both guns suffer from poor battery space - 7.4v lipo is all that you're going to manage in either, though the ICS can be modified to fit an 8.4v nunchuck (grind down the nuts for the bottom rail). The G&G uses a large type connector for some unknown reason...seriously, the battery space is ridiculously small, but they through on a massive tamiya connector. That's a board meeting I would love to have seen. The ICS doesn't have this issue, but it's a minor grievance.

The G&G has a nice feature (nice in theory; I'll explain) that allows you to separate the upper and lower receiver with ease - remove front pin and pull! It does this by using contacts between receivers (similar to the system used in their SCAR, MP5 RTB etc). Problem being that when you put the pin back in unless you pull the two receivers together, the contacts don't meet enough for the gun to fire. Again, minor issue, just pull the receiver closed and you're sorted. However it can mean that you pull the trigger in game and you get a deadman's click :(

The ICS has a quick-takedown button as well, which gives the same effect but with much more practicality for in game.

Performance goes to the G&G, though it is heavy to run around with. Both have the same issue with magazines, and both are good choices. If I had to choose, at a push I'd take the TopTech...but there's a reason I haven't sold my ICS one...I was going to, and couldn't bring myself to.

Any specific questions, just ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Inari wrote: »
    Heya Horse - I've got one, and it's a superb piece of kit.

I'll start of by saying I am a huge fan of the SIG 552 - it was my favourite gun in my Counter-Strike days, and that just kind of stuck. Currently I have the JG, ICS & G&G 552, and the ICS 551 as well, so this will be more of a comparison than anything else.

The JG is the lowest quality - internally it's fine, but externally it is similar to the TM i.e. weak creaky plastic. G&G definitely wins on the external front, with ICS a close second. Both G&G and ICS have stamped steel upper receivers, however the G&G has a steel lower as well versus the ICS's monkey-metal lower. Colour and tone of the metal goes to G&G with a gun-metal grey versus ICS's blue-hue receiver. ICS's plastic parts (stock, grip and handguard) is black, whereas the G&G is OD green...I can't make up my mind on this front, so jury's out on that one.

Internally the G&G wins in terms of barrel and hop, with the ICS having a pretty poor barrel, and crap hop up rubber as standard. Chamber is fine, but just not great starting combination. The G&G on the other hand has my favourite hop up rubber (G&G Green) and a 6.04mm tightbore barrel. ICS wins out on the motor front - with an 8.4v battery it produces seriously impressive ROF for a stock gun, with the G&G's being noticeably slow...get rid of it as soon as you can (I recommend the SHS short...that's what's in mine, and running like a champ). Gears-wise...I would probably give it to the ICS for greater strength, though it is very close. Piston is much of a muchness, and I would definitely give the G&G the win for compression.

Both guns suffer from poor battery space - 7.4v lipo is all that you're going to manage in either, though the ICS can be modified to fit an 8.4v nunchuck (grind down the nuts for the bottom rail). The G&G uses a large type connector for some unknown reason...seriously, the battery space is ridiculously small, but they through on a massive tamiya connector. That's a board meeting I would love to have seen. The ICS doesn't have this issue, but it's a minor grievance.

The G&G has a nice feature (nice in theory; I'll explain) that allows you to separate the upper and lower receiver with ease - remove front pin and pull! It does this by using contacts between receivers (similar to the system used in their SCAR, MP5 RTB etc). Problem being that when you put the pin back in unless you pull the two receivers together, the contacts don't meet enough for the gun to fire. Again, minor issue, just pull the receiver closed and you're sorted. However it can mean that you pull the trigger in game and you get a deadman's click :(

The ICS has a quick-takedown button as well, which gives the same effect but with much more practicality for in game.

Performance goes to the G&G, though it is heavy to run around with. Both have the same issue with magazines, and both are good choices. If I had to choose, at a push I'd take the TopTech...but there's a reason I haven't sold my ICS one...I was going to, and couldn't bring myself to.

Any specific questions, just ask :)

Thanks Kevin, appreciate your info. I saw the toptech one the other day and i just loved it. The g&g stock motors are totally crap so I'd swap that out for a g&p m120.

What's the availability of mags like ? They easy to get ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

We've two of them in work, and can get more anytime from G&G - they're not difficult to get. As per the (updated) forum rules, any questions relating to the item in a work-context should be directed to our retailer's thread here :)

Personally I've gone off of the G&P M120's. They use ferrite magnets, and although are quick, I've found them to be power-hungry...batteries run out quite quickly, and they draw a lot of heat. On top of that, their pinions are brittle. I'd be much more inclined to go with the neodymium magnet SHS or Lonex, although the Lonex Titan motors are a little too quick, and should be used in short-stroke setups to prevent serious pre-engagement. SHS are a drop-in.

First thing I did to mine was throw in the SHS high torque, and boosted trigger response considerably, and got the ROF up to a much more reasonable speed. No more laboured-sounding cycles :)

Advertisement