Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop €400-€500

Options
  • 15-12-2013 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Hope some one can help what to buy my father a laptop for Christmas, looking for as good as I can get for that budget, it would be used mostly internet, download the odd movie, Skype, he won't need it for gaming :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭infocal

GAMAN wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Hope some one can help what to buy my father a laptop for Christmas, looking for as good as I can get for that budget, it would be used mostly internet, download the odd movie, Skype, he won't need it for gaming :)

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/popular-laptop-deals?~ck=mn

4xx dell more than enough..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

One thing- the Dell's all have Windows 8.
    I'm spending a ridiculous amount of time helping people who are used to Windows 7 come to terms with Windows 8.
    Please factor in the cost of a Windows 7 downgrade into the equation (even if you have to pay for it seperately. Note- the 17R for Euro648- looks to me to be the Dell deal to get at the moment- and an older person might appreciate the larger screen. Then again- a younger person might too. My own laptop (that I'm currently using) has an 18.4" screen....... The 8Gb of RAM and the 1Tb hard-drive, with the upgraded processor- make it a bit of a no brainer, considering there is damn all difference in price compared to the lower specced models.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

I recently bought a laptop from Powercity.ie - have a few sub €400 machines generally €50 cheaper than HN or PCWorlrd.

check if the laptop has a powerful CPU.

http://cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

lot's on the market with low end CPU... they are slow like donkey..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

One thing- the Dell's all have Windows 8.
    I'm spending a ridiculous amount of time helping people who are used to Windows 7 come to terms with Windows 8.
    Please factor in the cost of a Windows 7 downgrade into the equation (even if you have to pay for it seperately. Note- the 17R for Euro648- looks to me to be the Dell deal to get at the moment- and an older person might appreciate the larger screen. Then again- a younger person might too. My own laptop (that I'm currently using) has an 18.4" screen....... The 8Gb of RAM and the 1Tb hard-drive, with the upgraded processor- make it a bit of a no brainer, considering there is damn all difference in price compared to the lower specced models.

Is the gfx ok for some gaming? Its low end I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

IRCA Did you read the29 comments in Consumer Issuea about PowerCity.

infocal wrote: »
    check if the laptop has a powerful CPU.

http://cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

lot's on the market with low end CPU... they are slow like donkey..

low end CPU normally has marks below 2k.

2500 marks is so so for today's system

3xxx+ is normal

4xxx+ -> 6xxx is not bad

6xxx is good

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

beauf wrote: »
    Is the gfx ok for some gaming? Its low end I know.

Its the next gen intel graphics chip- damn sight better than the crap they used have- but if you're planning on gaming, you're still in for a massive disappointment with it......... Sorry.........

Advertisement