Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Studying in Canada

• 15-12-2013 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to be studying in Canada for a semester from next September - December and was just wondering a few things.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to cross the border to the US whilst over there?
    I want to make a trip to New York to visit family.
    If so, is there anything specific that needs to be done before hand?
    Also, would it be possible to wait on, either in Canada or New York, for a few days after the semester ends?
    I've been thinking about spending Christmas in New York, but am not sure if that would be possible as I technically wouldn't be studying then.
    And if anyone has any other general advice or tips about moving, studying and living in Canada, that would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Does anyone know if it is possible to cross the border to the US whilst over there?
    1. Yes, it's possible. I've done this before on a holiday visa so I've no doubt you can do the same on a student visa.
    I want to make a trip to New York to visit family.

If so, is there anything specific that needs to be done before hand?
    2. I believe you will have to apply for a american visa. This would have to be done beforehand.

Also, would it be possible to wait on, either in Canada or New York, for a few days after the semester ends?
    3. Wait on what? :confused:

I've been thinking about spending Christmas in New York, but am not sure if that would be possible as I technically wouldn't be studying then.
    4. If you want to spend time in New York over Christmas, you can apply for a the holiday visa for US. No need to apply for student visa if that's what you are implying?

I've just edited this to make the replies more easily viewable :)
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Thanks for the reply!

See, I don't require any visa for my time in Canada, so that's why I'm not sure if I require a visa for the US, even if I only go for a few days.
    By 'wait on' I mean spend a little extra time, in either Canada or America.
    I wasn't asking if I need a student visa for my time is the US over Christmas.
    See, I'm being allowed to study in Canada for one semester only, and so when this semester officially ends I don't know if I am allowed to wait in either country any longer.

Advertisement