Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job problems

Options
  • 15-12-2013 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I recently started a new job in a shop 2 weeks ago.It was going grand up until Thursday when the boss came in a foul mood and and started getting on my back about everything and anything.Now I can understand that running a business can be stressful and I am trying to do my best for them.I'm showing up on time and doing the job to the best of my ability.

The problems started Thursday when I was doing the Newspapers in the Morning I was basically checking them off the invoice and another recording sheet.Anyways your one wasn't happy with this and told me I should just record them off the invoice after that she had a go (I can't even remember what she said) and from there it was downhill for the next two days. I've being Threatened with dismissal on more then occasion and from talking to other staff I seem to be the only one subject to her wraith.

I will be the first to admit I have made a few mistakes (and I will admit one was serious which I shouldn't of made) but the majority have being from just unfamiliarity with the job and I'm trying to bring myself up to speed as fast as possible.From talking with other members of staff (And this isn't my own personal opinion this is other peoples opinions) I seem to be the only one subject to his sort of treatment.

I was again Today with a different supervisor and no telling off what so ever doing pretty much the exact same jobs/tasks.I'm in again next Thursday on the exact same shift as last week and tbh I have a feeling I'm being set up for a fall (Since your one is the owner).I wouldn't leave a job on a whim especially in the current climate and I would happily admit to being a far from a perfect but at the same time I suffered with depression in the recent past and I really don't want to have it again.

Common sense tells me to show up on Thursday for my shift but to be honest I just feel like I should hand in my notice.I'm not one to walk away when the going gets a bit tough but on the other hand I'm not going to stand there and be pretty much called stupid.

Opinions should I write the notice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

No you shouldn't. You should instead find a way of dealing with this manager. There will probably be many times in your life when you get off on the wrong foot with a manager or boss, running away isn't going to teach you to deal with it.

Instead, stop asking other people if you are being victimised as it doesn't reflect well on your and rarely people will be truly honest with you anyway. Go in on Thursday, see how the land lies. If you still feel unfairly treated, politelyand sprofessionally ask why. Explain that you are aware of areas you need to improve and welcome guidance on how to do that, but that at the same time you would prefer some constructive feedback from your manager on your performance as at the moment you feel like you can't do right for doing wrong.

Bear in mind, it is the most stressful time of the year for retail managers - they are busier, with inexperienced staff and a limited amount of time to hit targets etc. If this person is the owner they are probably feeling the pressure to make the most of the Christmas period. You admit to making a serious mistake and other smaller mistakes so to some extent you have to take some criticism on the chin. But it may not be as personal as you think and you may be over reacting. Then again, the manager might just be a twat with no solid management skills but you still need to find a way to deal with it. Walking yourself out of a job isn't going to help you improve your self esteem or your finances and could end up triggering a new bout of depression. But dealing with the situation and possibly turning it around could well make you feel more confident in your abilities. It is at least worth a try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

You're on your way out in this place and there's probably not much you can do about it. In these situtions I make sure that the employer is sorry they ever even met me. Whilst you are still there you have the potential to do them serious harm. Forget your reference, that's not worth behaving for. It will make them think twice about picking on staff in the future.

Thomas D wrote: »
    You're on your way out in this place and there's probably not much you can do about it. In these situtions I make sure that the employer is sorry they ever even met me. Whilst you are still there you have the potential to do them serious harm. Forget your reference, that's not worth behaving for. It will make them think twice about picking on staff in the future.

What a fantastic attitude to have! :rolleyes:
    Are you a troll or what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

What a fantastic attitude to have! :rolleyes:
    Are you a troll or what?

This is going back now. I have a great attitude and its gotten me far in life. But when people throw that back in my face for no good reason then I make them pay. I quite enjoy my reputation for this and its made my life a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It may be just as well to grab 5 minutes with them (if you haven't already) and talk.

Remind them gently that you're new, and you know that you've made errors but that you really want to do the job on hand well. At best, they'll realise you're genuinely trying and they were harsh - people often don't realise how they come across. At worst, they'll dislike you a little more, which by the sounds of it will hardly make much of a difference.

Then you'll know where you stand and have a fresh start or a reason to start looking around for alternatives.

• Advertisement

Thomas D wrote: »
    This is going back now. I have a great attitude and its gotten me far in life. But when people throw that back in my face for no good reason then I make them pay. I quite enjoy my reputation for this and its made my life a lot easier.

Not what I would call a great attitude. Petty and vindictive, making people 'pay' isn't the way I would recommend anyone live their life and it certainly wouldn't be for me. But each to their own. Having said that OP acknowledges having made a quite serious error and some other lesser mistakes so I think that is worth bearing in mind before deciding that management definitely has it 'in for him'.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

BuffyBot wrote: »
    It may be just as well to grab 5 minutes with them (if you haven't already) and talk.

Remind them gently that you're new, and you know that you've made errors but that you really want to do the job on hand well. At best, they'll realise you're genuinely trying and they were harsh - people often don't realise how they come across. At worst, they'll dislike you a little more, which by the sounds of it will hardly make much of a difference.

Then you'll know where you stand and have a fresh start or a reason to start looking around for alternatives.

Done all that I put my hand up and took responsibility for the mistakes.But the majority are down to being a nervous wreak around her.Even other staff members have said her treatment of me was appalling and that I seem to be singled out (This isn't just my own opinion and it wasn't my opinion until Yesterday after talking to other members of staff ).By the end of Friday I could barely do basic math

The other things which I forgot to include in my original was a comment made towards me multiple times about saying I've had it easy in life.That comment got under my skin because as far as I'm concerned my life outside of work is none of her business.Other staff members have told me she was basically talking about me behind my back on the phone whilst on the shop floor as well I have no problem with her talking about me but if I was to start slagging her off on the shop floor I'd be out the door and rightly so.

I'm not trying to play the victim card here and really and truly I took whatever she said on board but after talking to another member of staff yesterday I seem to be the only one singled out for treatment even though my work is up the same standard as everyone else in the shop.

Look I'm not complaining I have a job and I'm not trying to run away from my responsibility especially in the current climate. I've had bad bosses in the past and you have to humor them. but I honestly never felt bullied in a job before and since it's a family business I can't really go to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's a horrible situation OP and one that I was in recently.

My situation improved when I spoke to the person involved about their treatment of me as I too was on the point of leaving because of them. I will say though that I was still nervous around the person even after that & I eventually left anyway. I think that I had left it go too far when I had the discussion & it was probably too late at that stage. Like others have said go & speak to the person involved, acknowledge your mistakes & say you want to learn & move forward.

If things improve, all well and good for you and if no improvement, then at least you have tried everything before leaving. It would also give you breathing space to try to find something else.

Advertisement