Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asia with a didgeridoo ? hope not

Options
  • 15-12-2013 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Leaving oz in Jan/feb time frame, ive just landed in cairns to do the east coast as far as Brisbane then hope to head to south east Asia, although ive done zero research into that. Was planning on buying a didgeridoo as one would do but how could I travel asia with that. Do airlines send items like that back without you and pick it up later?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Airlines do carry od sized items, golf bags, bics and musical instruments. Check with airline about limits and charges.

I did meet a guy who was lugging a large zitar he bought in india all around south east asia. He gave up and posted it home from bangkok. Generally postage is going to be cheaper ourside australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Just buy it and post it home. You'll hate it from lugging it around,paying extra costs for oversize baggage on some airlines and then if it gets damaged or broken. It's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭gOst

Was I the only person who thought this thread was going to be a racist rant about the amount of asian people in Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

catbear wrote: »
    Airlines do carry od sized items, golf bags, bics and musical instruments. Check with airline about limits and charges.
    Yes, they carry them on the same flight as the passenger to whom they belong. But the OP is asking if he can send the didgeridoo on ahead so he doesn't have to lug it around Asia, and then pick it up when he comes home himself.

You can do this. It's called air cargo; all the major airlines do it. But it's an entirely separate service from the carriage of passengers; you don't need to have a passenger ticket booket in order to send goods by air cargo, and having a passenger ticket booked gives you no discount, advantage, etc. And it's bloody expensive. DHL or somebody would certainly be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

thanks for the info guys, guess ill get it and once I leave ill ship it home from asia

• Advertisement
Advertisement