Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due August 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Hi static, I guess it depends on the doctor you meet tmrw but I was offered a sweep at 39 weeks on my first pregnancy. I had no complications and was feeling well so didn't get it but the doc had no problem suggesting it. Hope all goes well for you tmrw

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Aye wait and see I guess. I had one on my daughter about 5 days overdue. It did SFA then.. but sure worth a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Staticdoor - I was due for a sweep at my 39week appointment the doctor suggested it at my 38week appointment but like you if he hadn't suggested it I would have asked.

I never made that appointment though as she had arrived that morning.

Totally know how you feel with just being fed up!IIt's hard when there are other kids to look after!

Lucama - the breast pumps are expensive and they don't recommended using them untill your feeding is established which can take up to 6weeks apparently. I had a hand pump before and I have to say I didn't find it very useful. So electric is definitely the way to go.

Had a lovely dinner out this evening. Evie slept right through and the other two monkeys were slightly better behaved than usual. I mightnt sell them just yet...lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭llambert

Delighted you enjoyed your night out. I thought I was the only thinking up a done deal ad he he!!!

I'd agree about the breast pump too Lucuma. The hospital will have one to get you started.

These 2 are good tonight in the sense they know its night. Thanks fir the feeding advice. During the day I am sticking with a schedule but at night its when they wake. I'm still up alot tonight but will spend next couple of days hopefully nailing day/night and then look at trying to bring their schedules closer together.

I definitely thought the full moon this week would get some more new arrivals!!!

Last night was a disaster! Evie refused to sleep.

Can breast fed babies have a routine? I never made it past 2weeks before. I don't have a clue.

Feeling like a first time mother again.

All I know is I need to sleep . . .

• Advertisement

Kaylami all I know is that I had nothing resembling a routine for the first month. I thought I had to just breastfeed every 2/3 hours but sometimes she would just use me as a human soother and stay stuck on for ages. The evenings used to be torturous, could be glued to the couch for 2/3 hours with just short breaks. However I didn't have any other kids then! Have you tried feeding lying down on your side? I thought this was a big "no no" according to the health nurse but it honestly saved me and helped me to continue. It allowed us both to get some comfortable sleep (plenty of pillows behind your back). And in the long run it didn't make her completely dependant on me to get to sleep which is what I was worried about.

Sorry Kaylami I have no idea but maybe try emer-b's suggestion. When I was trying to bf in hospital this was one of the ways the mw tried.

Its hard not getting any sleep I can totally relate. Those night feeds feel very lonely too. I wish I had words of wisdom for you but as I keep trying to tell myself these hard first few weeks will pass x x

Thanks ladies.

I tried feeding on my side as you suggested but she seems to have trouble latching that way. I'm probably doin it wrong. I fell asleep with her across my chest this morning I was so tired.

It's reassuring that you didn't have a routine emer but as the eldest is starting school in 2weeks I'm anxious for her sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Static door, the doctor didn't suggest a sweep at my last appointment (39+3) but I'll definitely ask about one next week, worth a try!

Lucuma, I'm the same re the breast pump, gonna wait & see how it all works out 1st! Only other thing we've yet to get is the baby monitor, but sure baby will be in with us anyway for the 1st while, oh & need a baby thermometer!

Kaylami, delighted to hear your dinner went well, pity about the lack of sleep, sorry I've no suggestions:( All ahead of me I'm sure...

Llambert, I hear a lot go babies confuse night & day, hope they figure it out soon!

Getting through my list of jobs to do before baby gets here... Did a load of batch cooking yesterday, enough lasagne & curry to keep us going for awhile & the house is all clean! Time to get bouncing on my ball & walking the dog I think!

Kaylami wrote: »
    Thanks ladies.

I tried feeding on my side as you suggested but she seems to have trouble latching that way. I'm probably doin it wrong. I fell asleep with her across my chest this morning I was so tired.

It's reassuring that you didn't have a routine emer but as the eldest is starting school in 2weeks I'm anxious for her sake.

I lost track of how many times I was doing a night feed, sitting up in bed with baby lying on a pillow across my chest, and I would wake up an hour later, her still latched on and me slightly shocked that we had both slept like that. Became the norm after a few weeks and I actually got some decent sleep like that!

Maybe she was a little older when I started the lying down feeding. I know you kinda have to hold them in place when they're only a few weeks old.

It's not easy I know. I don't know how I'm going to fare this time with a 2yr old aswell, whole different ball game!

• Advertisement

No sweep today. Back again next wed if nothing happens sweep will be done then. I'll be 40 +3 then. In my notes they have written CEPH 3/5 for presentation. I know that means head down but does anyone know what's 3/5?

She really bloody hurt me when she was checking was head in pelvis. Which is it.

Sorry to hear about the lack of sleep and the breastfeeding problems :( I too have no words of wisdom.. except that it won't last forever.. However I know how hollow those words are xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

No sweep today. Back again next wed if nothing happens sweep will be done then. I'll be 40 +3 then. In my notes they have written CEPH 3/5 for presentation. I know that means head down but does anyone know what's 3/5?

She really bloody hurt me when she was checking was head in pelvis. Which is it.

I could be totally wrong static but I think it means that 2/5 of baby's head is engaged in pelvis and it's possible to feel 3/5 of head outside pelvis. Something to do with the size of an adult's hand in relation to a full term baby's head, it's measured in fifths.

I hate when they check if the head is in the pelvis, it KILLS plus they gave me no warning the first time they checked!

Try not to panic Kaylami 2 wks is a long time in baby world.

Ugh static that sounds awful. Pity after that they didn't give you the sweep. I've no experience of any of that and probably never will but don't feel I'm missing out on that pregnancy aspect.

You're on the ball shortstuff. All that will be great when you get home. I bought a slow cooker. Seemingly you throw everything into it in the morning and a delicious meal awaits in the evening. Well here's hoping anyway. The way I see it I'll probably get 2 day dinners out of it and won't have to dedicate an hour in the evening to cooking. More likely though that I'll never use it and we'll starve and my hubby will leave me for a Rachel Allen wannabe :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Thanks for update, when you had said before your appt about being in a lot of pain I thought maybe they would keep you in or say you were in early stages of labour.

I googled my doc's notes on the cephalic presentation also after my last appt, my notes said CEPH 5/5, in other words his head hasn't engaged at all, so at least your baby is making their way to the exit. Cameoette explained it very well, and I think once you get to 0/5 it means baby's head is totally engaged. But I also read that baby's head doesn't need to be engaged for labour to begin and sometimes baby's head will only engage fully once contractions have started.

Nothing stirring here anyway, though even if I went into labour before the operation date they'd section me.

As an aside, my bump is a really weird shape at the moment - baby's head is still down as far as I can tell but my bump has 2 bumps to it if that makes any sense, whatever way the baby is lying I'm not sure. One is above my belly button, and doesn't move so much, the other is on the right side under my ribs and this area moves a fair bit. Would that be baby's legs or what? It's so weird trying to figure out what is going on in there at all.

3/5 means that 2/5 is in your pelvis and the rest is palpable or can be felt with a examination I believe.

I'd echo what the others have said baby doesn't have to be fully engaged for labour to start. Also if it's your 2nd you can be walking around dilated up to 3cm.

Today was a good day went to look at paint for my hall and girls room. Evie behaved herself as well. It's so nice to get out and about even if it does take so much effort!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

The "any news yet" messages have started in abundance this morning, not due til tomorrow!!

I have just ceph written in my notes so don't think baby is engaged either... Was sore for ages after she checked!

Went to yoga last night, could do positions I haven't been able for in months, so strange... Instructor said I had more room since baby has dropped & that I looked like I could keep going for another 3weeks... Hopefully not ha!!

Brought the car for nct yesterday & failed cos license plates weren't regulation, I remembered the spare set in the boot so announced that I'd change them there so wouldn't have to drive the whole way back over again... I had 4lads from the waiting area follow me out & changed them for me!! Big pregnant women turn men into such softies:) Passed so another job done....

Today's not going as well, had a tiler in to replace a couple broken/loose tiles & he reckons there's something wrong with the adhesive, none stuck to the floor at all, kinda looking like they'll all have to come up, disaster:( My clean house is quickly turning into a building site! Getting baby's wallpaper up today aswell so hopefully that'll of better!

How's everyone else doing today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Due yesterday (13th of August), booked in for induction on the 24th (a Sunday) so it wont happen until the 25th, long wait for herself!

I think I'm going to have a nervous breakdown.
    The girls have been actin up all day, Evie is just constantly feeding. My oh is sitting on his ass playing some stupid game on the tablet!

I'm after roaring at him then went out the back and burst into tears.

We are suppose to do the nursery and girls room this weekend and he wouldn't even go and buy paint today.

Grrr. . . I'm so angry.

Deep breathe, count to ten.

Dermighy positive thoughts hopefully you'll go yourself before you're induction date. Will you be trying all the old wives tales??

What is it with men and those stupid bloody games. Grow the f up!! It's a pity you can't just get up and leave him to it for even 30 minutes to frighten him but with the bf you're kinda stuck.

My hubby has laid off abit since the arrival of my Mam. Its only when I sigh that I get a "can I do something". After been up half the night last night he asks me at half 4 if he can do anything. Grrrr. Don't mind when he has work the next day but he was on leave today.

Fear it will be worse come the start of the new premier league this wknd. Everything will done at half time!! But I won't be long putting a stop to it.

Maybe a good freak out will let him know Kaylami, no point hiding it out the back.

Oh llambert thank you for reminding me the premier league starts this weekend.

I just reminded him who pays the bills and most importantly the sky subscription - never seen a man move so fast.

Dinner has been made and given to me and he even lit the fire so I can have a nice bath.

• Advertisement

Ha ha Kaylami you're some woman. Maybe a nice cuppa in the bath wouldn't be a stretch.

How's all the expecting ladies. I thought after a quick start we'd have a few more arrivals. I keep checking for exciting arrival updates x x

hi ladies,

38+4 today, midwife told me this morning they are going to offer me a sweep this day next week when I will be 39+4. Baby's head is not very engaged now even though her head is down so I've been told to get bouncing on the ball for the following week. Not sure whether to go with the sweep or not, been reading about the pros and cons and just don't know what to do. It would be pretty cool if everything kicked off before next Thursday but I'm not holding my breath :) They said baby is big and prob around 8lbs now (no scan just feeling the baby through belly so not sure how accurate this is...) and they asked me if my partner is tall, which he isn't. Eeek!

That's great cameotte!

I think the sweep only works if you are ready for it but I've heard good things!

Don't worry about baby being big having Evie at 8lb 13 was easier than Kayleigh and she was only 6lb 4!

My jaw dropped when they told me her weight!

Kaylami wrote: »
    That's great cameotte!

I think the sweep only works if you are ready for it but I've heard good things!

Don't worry about baby being big having Evie at 8lb 13 was easier than Kayleigh and she was only 6lb 4!

My jaw dropped when they told me her weight!

Thank you :) sure as long as baby is happy in there even if she turns out to be a massive watermelon it's going to be alright!!

I'm going to have a ponder but I think I may end up choosing sweep if cervix is ready...just going to try and get this little head engaged first.

Love checking in and reading all of your posts ladies, makes it all so much more real for me! Although hearing the word 'sweep' today made things that more real too :pac:

Just bear in mind cameotte when they check your cervix it is like a mini sweep.

They checked me the night I was admitted and i was 1cm dilated and was cramps all night when they checked the next day I was a good 2 apparently !

Any internal exams at this stage can get things moving.

So himself has gone to football, girls are in bed I've calmed down a lot and feel bad now. I think I'll blame my hormones for this one.

This bf is really hard! Give me a bottle please! Hospital tomorrow and a visit to the mil. This week isn't improving

Hopefully bouncing on the ball will get you going by next week cameoette. I hope so, we want more babies on this thread soon!!!

I wouldn't worry about the weight either. I had alot of growth scans along the way. Had one 4 days before the boys were born and they were way off. Lots of my friends have said what Kaylami has said that bigger babies are easier to get out???

I'm convinced that I'm after deforming my belly. Hurt myself one night during the week turning in the bed. Now think I've done damage with the section. Its probably my belly is deflating at odd angles and probably still swollen from the section but always something to worry about.

Wish these weeks would pass quickly till I can do normal stuff. So frustrating not been able to do simply household stuff and get out for a walk.

I'll be bigger after the 6 wks "rest" than I was pregnant. Doesn't help that visitors keep bringing treats and because I'm tired and its there I keep eating it. No will power :-(

Ughhhhhh I'm having a horrible few days
    Think I'm just so fed up everything is seeming worse than it probably is.
    I'm getting really dizzy if I stand too long sit too long walk too much. Only time I feel ok is lying down. Told the doc in the hos she said.. It happens. . And it's nothing serious cuz my actual blood pressure was fine. But God it feels awful. All I've done today was get up. Have brekky with daughter and hung a load of washing out. I'm already on the couch :(
    Might go to my own gp today. Just get my BP checked. Piece of mind etc.

My MIL issues have hit "I'm gunna punch her in the nose" levels too.
    Was meant to go over yest but was too dizzy to drive so he rang her said I wasn't well and wouldn't b over. .at about 4. She automatically thought I was in labour and was trying to get him to let her take daughter.
    Anywho. Had 4 missed calls from the crazy bat this morning when I woke starting from 8pm last night (I had fone on silent)
    I answered her at 10.30 this morning when she rang again.. her daughter was meant to be coming this weekend..so I asked when cuz I wanted to see my niece...she said "oh she doesn't know if she's coming she wants to wait to see baby but doesn't want to crowd US incase I've to take C (my daughter).
    Wtffffff! !!!!! I said sure it could be another 2 weeks woman...and she said. ..sure we will see how the weekend goes!!!!
    Stoooooopid woman!!!!!
    She's not even taking my daughter when it does happen...I've my two sisters on standby and she bleedin knows this.
    I told himself he needs to have a word with her and he said "oh well she just wants to feel involved". My ar $ e
    So as of tonight I'm not answering her calls any more. .I've had enough now. It's not even the first grandchild it's the 3rd!!!!
    Maybe I'm mountain molehilling. But she really weeeeeee'd on my cornflakes these last 2 days.

Hope everyone else is doing well. I'm sure the obligatory "any news" texts and calls have landed. .. don't forget the power off / silent buttons xxxx we can do this xxxxx

Ps someone better pop soon!!!!!!!!!! Maybe a domino effect will happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

V short post but just to say baby boy arrived safe and well after a slightly rocky birth. Delighted!

Yeah a new baby!!! Congratulations Fiona! Hope you both are doing well. Look forward to hearing a bit more about him when you have a chance

• Advertisement

Congratulations fiona-f. Delighted for you x x

C'mon let the domino effect begin so!!

Advertisement