Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth v Kilcock

Options
  • 15-12-2013 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I'll be moving house shortly. While I'd love to move back to Maynooth where I lived happily for 8 years, the areas I'd like to live in are out of my price range. However I've been thinking that perhaps Kilcock might be another option as I pass by it on my daily commute to Meath. The Ryebridge estate in Kilcock looks nice and I literally drive by it each day to and from work. However am I mad not holding out for where I'd really prefer (Moyglare area of Maynooth) or should I cut my cloth to what I can afford, so to speak?

Anyone live in the Ryebridge estate and would you recommend it? Any downsides to it? It seems to be a bit of a walk into Kilcock and the traffic can be very backed up from the Trim road trying to get to the road into Kilcock/access to the M4.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Kashkai wrote: »
    I'll be moving house shortly. While I'd love to move back to Maynooth where I lived happily for 8 years, the areas I'd like to live in are out of my price range. However I've been thinking that perhaps Kilcock might be another option as I pass by it on my daily commute to Meath. The Ryebridge estate in Kilcock looks nice and I literally drive by it each day to and from work. However am I mad not holding out for where I'd really prefer (Moyglare area of Maynooth) or should I cut my cloth to what I can afford, so to speak?

Anyone live in the Ryebridge estate and would you recommend it? Any downsides to it? It seems to be a bit of a walk into Kilcock and the traffic can be very backed up from the Trim road trying to get to the road into Kilcock/access to the M4.

Thanks

a friend of my wife lives there and had to move out this summer due to pyrite.
    she has had about a dozen problems with the house, cracks in the floor and wall, fire place fell off the wall, plus when her neighbour flushes the toilet she can hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ails76

I was thinking of selling up in Maynooth and moving to Kilcock. I heard about the pyrite problems in Ryebridge - pity as they are a nice house. What about Royal Meadows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I took a drive up to Ryebridge this morning for a look around. I noticed that three houses had skips in their driveways full of flooring, skirting boards etc. That was strange for new houses I thought. Then I saw one house fenced off being completely gutted. I wondered what was going on. The I saw your post about the pyrite and the penny dropped. Thanks a lot mate. Saved me wasting my time looking at this estate. Makes me wonder why they're still on sale through Coonans though???? Shouldn't there be a law against selling houses where there are known pyrite issues?

Looks like it's back to Maynooth to see what I can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ails76

I'm in Parklands and its a lovely estate close to shops, schools, bus and railway station.

Apart from Moyglare, have you looked anywhere else?

I lived in Meadowbrook and Moyglare during my time in Maynooth. I loved Moyglare as I could go for a walk or run in the countryside which was adjacent to my estate. Plus if I lived back there, I wouldn't have to drive through the centre of Maynooth (which can be quite busy) as my work is in Meath. Prices are out of my price range though. From my research, prices have gone up €25-€30k in the past year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Look at Parklands and Silken Vale. Live in Silken Vale myself and can't fault it.

Thanks mate. I know I shouldn't be so blinkered but I did love living in Moyglare and regret ever leaving it. Can't afford to buy back in though :-(.

I've seen a couple of 3 bed semi detached houses on Daft.ie in Silken Vale. Thing is one was €239k while the other was €275k?? Can't figure why the massive difference in price for similar houses. I could get a 4 bed in Moyglare for €15k less than the expensive 3 bed in Silken Vale.

What's the broadband like in Maynooth these days? When I left in 2004, Eircom had introduced "500MB" Internet speed (that was good back then!). Are you on fibre based broadband yet? My mother has eircom fibre in Dublin and has speeds of 50GB+. I've only got 2.6 Gb where I currently live.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

UPC offer 200mbit to most of the town and are currently fixing the holes. Eircom are fitting efibre cabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Kashkai wrote: »
    . Thing is one was €239k while the other was €275k?? Can't figure why the massive difference in price for similar houses.

Don't understand that either. Saw them the other night when I was having a browse. Look at the property price register and the only house sold in Silken Vale this year went for 217k.

Don't understand that either. Saw them the other night when I was having a browse. Look at the property price register and the only house sold in Silken Vale this year went for 217k.

€217k would be about my price range. Wonder if the estate agents are getting greedy again and trying to artificially jack up prices to mirror the increases in Dublin? Might take a look at the cheaper house in Silken Vale but I don't know if they'd drop their asking by twenty grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

If you were happy in maynooth and that's your preference don't be swayed by cheaper houses in places you might not be happy in. Though we all want nice houses its easier to adjust to a house if you re happy and connected to the area you re in rather than adjust to an area you don't particularly like. Just m.h.o.

I know what you mean. I bought a house near Donadea on a half acre thinking the "country life" was for me. Well after 8 years of it, I hate having to drive miles for milk or bread, hate not being able to have a few drinks because I have to drive home (no public transport), hate being stuck inside in the winter as it's pitch black on the roads outside, hate being a "blow in" viewed constantly as an outsider by the locals. So that's why I want to go back to Maynooth where I was very happy, in a town that has everything going for it.

Advertisement