Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness

• 15-12-2013 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

I don't know if anyone is familiar with this theory so here it is briefly
    A really good pair of leather boots, the sort that would last years and years, cost fifty dollars. This was beyond his pocket and the most he, Vimes, could hope for was an affordable pair of boots costing ten dollars, which might with luck last a year or so before he, Vimes, would need to resort to makeshift cardboard insoles so as to prolong the moment of shelling out another ten dollars.

Therefore over a period of ten years, he, Vimes, might have paid out a hundred dollars on boots, twice as much as the man who could afford fifty dollars up front ten years before. And he would still have wet feet."

The Sam Vimes "Boots" Theory of Economic Injustice Men at Arms

I am wondering other than boots what can you buy now that is expensive but in the long run will save you money. One example is free to air satellite. A decent setup might cost you a few bob but it will pay for itself quickly. Another example I was looking at was the GPNow €1000 for 10 years for a family (I wouldn't go for it myself as it's a big commitment but it's just an example).

Any more?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭mikewest

Cookware, e.g. saucepans, frying pans, casserole dishes. Buy quality (not designer brand, I mean real quality) and it will last many many more years than cheap tat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

White goods, the dearer brands often have a 10 year warranty to begin with and can often last for significantly longer than that (for instance my Bosch dishwasher is late 1990s or so for instance), whereas the cheaper ones that you might have to buy in an emergency after a failure or similar are very unlikely to last as long. Often the dearer ones are not the particularly fashionable brands at that.

It applies at much lower pricepoints too - food poverty can be exacerbated by only being able to afford non-bulk purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I always spend money on shoes and coats. I've a Burberry trench coat I bought 23 years ago, still going strong.

Agree about the cookware. My pots and pans would be about the same age, but I bought them singly as I could afford them. And cutlery! I love good heavy cutlery and it lasts a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

It pays to buy quality shoes. I usually only buy docs, €100 a pair but they last many years and age well. Would be interested if anyone knows of other good quality brands of shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

It pays to buy quality shoes. I usually only buy docs, €100 a pair but they last many years and age well. Would be interested if anyone knows of other good quality brands of shoes.

In terms of shoes, churches and barkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

What brand pots and pans, I need to get a good set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Interesting article here on the case for buying lesser know brands when it comes to electronics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Mollyd90 wrote: »

Stellar pans are good, we have some in use for c30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

We were given a set of Prestige saucepans for our wedding 40 years ago, and I am still using them, they came with a 20 year guarantee. :) Only one of them fell by the wayside when the handle fell off a few years ago and I replaced it with another of the same brand. I don't know if Prestige is as good nowadays but I'd be happy to try them again, and there are many other new brands about now but I don't have any experience of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Pans, I use cast iron, unbranded. One of them was my mothers so is possibly 40 years old. They get better with use tbh, but you have to look after them, wash with hot water, dry immediately after use and keep them seasoned. Very heavy and do not react to sudden changes in hob temperature quickly like copper would but I use them for cooking everything from fried eggs to chicken curry to steak. I think I paid around 20 Irish pounds for my largest one. I have 3 sizes, and a wok but the wok is in storage as I've no space for it.

Before I converted to cast iron I went through non stick pans that invariably became sticky once a year or more!

• Advertisement

I always thought cast iron pans take much longer to heat up than ordinary pans, but I could be wrong of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I always thought cast iron pans take much longer to heat up than ordinary pans, but I could be wrong of course.

A minute or so versus under a minute. Nothing noticeable tbh. But they do really hold heat so if stuff starts burning and you pull it off heat, it keeps burning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cast iron skillets are the greatest "cheap" investment that you can make in my opinion. They're indestructible, and if you take care of them, they are effectively non-stick. I'd never buy a non-stick pan ever again. My set of 3 cast-iron skillets cost £10 (yes, punts) in the kitchenware shop in the English Market when I got them.

I also have a large Wedgwood pot with lid (think I got it in a Tesco promotion years ago) that has been excellent, as well as some Le Crueset small saucepans with lids. I haven't needed to buy any cookware in about 10 years as a result.

Has anyone got any advice regarding good brands of cookers as mine has finally bitten the dust. Its the one thing I have had to buy regularly over the decades. When I talk to the salespeople they all say the same thing - all the cookers are similar, made in a country you wouldn't have thought, quality are all the same, yadda, yadda. However, what cooker brand acttually lasts more than 6-8 years? My last one cost €600 mainly because they were all the same price at that time so I didn't have any choice. I'm looking for a 60cm with a double oven and proper doors that I don't have to dismantle with a screwdriver to clean. What would Nigella or Delia have in their kitchen I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ranges generally, or at least in the kitchens they use for TV.

The low-end brands are all the same basically - there was a product recall for Beko ones a few years ago and the list of other brands basically covered nearly everything in the sub-400 euro bracket.

Indesit/Hotpoint/Ariston are the same firm, Siemens/Bosch are the same firm and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

A good leather jacket lasts forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

A good leather jacket lasts forever.

my brother is still ( constantly) wearing the leather jacket that I bought for 40 pound 20 years ago! and I have a leather coat that my dad bought on honeymoon.
    I must see if there is a decent looking one out there now, I'm seem to be buying a new coat in Dunne's or Penney's every year.

And a decent desktop PC will last years longer than cheap laptop's. even better value if you can reuse components from your previous setup.

Advertisement