Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stella Cinema Rathmines

Options
  • 15-12-2013 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I was walking down to Tesco this morning and the coco were out ripping down the Stella cinema sign. I've always thought it was iconic and a bit sad to see it go. I asked them why and apparently it was reported as unsafe.
    The worst part was they were hacking the letters off, a little bit more finesse and they could have been saved. Or maybe I'm just being overly nostalgic.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Oh Brasher....where were you when they attacked our Georgian Squares ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

brasher wrote: »
    I was walking down to Tesco this morning and the coco were out ripping down the Stella cinema sign. I've always thought it was iconic and a bit sad to see it go. I asked them why and apparently it was reported as unsafe.
    The worst part was they were hacking the letters off, a little bit more finesse and they could have been saved. Or maybe I'm just being overly nostalgic.

Don't suppose you rescued a letter? Would have liked to get one- massive piece of history there

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brasher

I would have loved to but they were ripping them off in pieces. I did grab some of the letter bits but it's not recognisable. I have some historic red plastic now!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Should have popped in to get yourself some sticky carpet....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

It was iconic , like the Castro theatre sign in San Francisco, very annoyed to hear this , oh the memories of student life in the late 80s in my Bedsit on 108 upper rathmines road , the Stella was really handy and comfy , sad now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 SpudBr

That was of a Saturday . If only I had the camera

Advertisement