Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa v United

• 15-12-2013 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

According to David McDonnell of the Mirror, the United line up is de Gea, Rafael, Evans, Jones, Evra, Valencia, Cleverley, Giggs, Januzaj, Rooney, Welbeck

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

4-1 to United. Welbeck hat trick

*wakes up*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

My heart says 0-2 to United

My head says 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I sense a big united performance 3 nil, Rooney hat trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Seriously what does Chico have to do to get a game?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Cleverley and Giggs centre mid? Very slack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Might have a good cry for myself if that's the confirmed team

kryogen wrote: »
    Might have a good cry for myself if that's the confirmedmaybe am

What team would you like to see? Welbeck would be the only one I wouldn't play, maybe giggs too but not many options in midfield really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Surprised if giggs starts 2 in 5 days.

Welbeck and Valencia in same team. Dear Lord.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What team would you like to see? Welbeck would be the only one I wouldn't play, maybe giggs too but not many options in midfield really

Id like

De Gea
    Raf Smalling Evans Evra
    Ando Jones
    Jan Kagawa Nani
    Rooney

Id settle for Kagawa from the left and Hernandez getting a start too

• Advertisement

Id like

De Gea
    Raf Smalling Evans Evra
    Ando Jones
    Jan Kagawa Nani
    Rooney

Id settle for Kagawa from the left and Hernandez getting a start too

Nice team, but I thought nani was terrible against newcastle. Didn't think people would want to see him so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Nani hasn't travelled. His wife had a child yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

As much as he has been an utter disappointment, we could probably do with Fellaini to battle Benteke at set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I think Nani can threaten to be good. I think he has a bit more life to him than some players who could be picked even if he isn't the best player in the world. Looking forward to seeing how giggs gets on if he's in the team.

Other than that it's not a very interesting prospect.

Whatever about Cleverly's quality or lack thereof, as a neutral I simply don't enjoy watching him and usually don't enjoy games he is involved in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

United's struggles are agaisnt the top 10 teams, so surely we can beat Villa.

Right?

RIGHT!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

United's struggles are agaisnt the top 10 teams, so surely we can beat Villa.

Right?

RIGHT!?!

I just had a flashback to when Ferguson was in charge and the usual assumption that United vs Villa will 9/10 be an easy shout. The contrast between then and now is striking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

In fairness giggs isn't any worse than the rest of our midfielders, had to laugh when someone wants Anderson to start a game... My Lord.

You'd almost always back Utd away to Villa under Fergie.

I wouldn't back them v anyone atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

Jaysus this thread is as bad as Lawro's/BBC's preview - all about Utd.

From Villa perspective things ain't looking great either. 2 of our best performers thus season look to be out - Delph defo suspended Vlaar unlikely to be fit. Some of last season's performers not certain starters either. With Lowton not making the team - even with it's current makeshift defence. Benteke no longer a certainty as Kozac seems to score when he plays while Benteke just frustrates as in a 9 game drought.

But given yesterday's results with nearly all teams below us (except Cardiff) failing to win Villa would be happy with a draw and as City, Arsenal and Southampton have found, they absolutely love counter-attacking and playing higher teams. Every time I figure Villa've no chance they
    win while struggle in games they should win.

So I'll say we've no chance ;-)

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Nice team, but I thought nani was terrible against newcastle. Didn't think people would want to see him so soon.

Nani needs to play, he hasn't played properly for almost a year at this stage. I just want him played, like Valencia is played, without fear of being dropped if he makes a mistake while trying to turn a game

He is one of our match winners and without RVP he becomes even more important if he can get himself in the flow. He just needs a run of games uninterrupted. I forgot about the baby, he wont be there today regardless I guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Fletcher's on the bench.

In fairness giggs isn't any worse than the rest of our midfielders, had to laugh when someone wants Anderson to start a game... My Lord.

Anderson can take the ball from defence, turn and run at the opposition, he has a good range of passing even if he takes the wrong option a lot. He is capable of defence splitting passes, he is capable of tackling and harassing opponents with his energy.

If it is a choice between him and Cleverley to partner a very immobile and not able to tackle Ryan Giggs. Its Ando every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Whats the team?

case885 wrote: »
    Whats the team?

#MUFC De Gea/Rafael Evans Jones Evra/Valencia Giggs Cleverley Januzaj/Rooney Welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Anderson can take the ball from defence, turn and run at the opposition, he has a good range of passing even if he takes the wrong option a lot. He is capable of defence splitting passes, he is capable of tackling and harassing opponents with his energy.

If it is a choice between him and Cleverley to partner a very immobile and not able to tackle Ryan Giggs. Its Ando every time.

Anderson is an absolute disgrace of a footballer, How he is still at the club is beyond me we should have gotten rid of him years ago.

Is there any statistics on the amount of 90 minute games that he's played for us in recent times?

Blatter wrote: »
    Fletcher's on the bench.

To make up numbers you think?

Anderson is an absolute disgrace of a footballer, How he is still at the club is beyond me we should have gotten rid of him years ago.

Is there any statistics on the amount of 90 minute games that he's played for us in recent times?

Well your opinion certainly outweighs anybody elses so Ill leave you at it I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

case885 wrote: »
    Whats the team?

Guzan Lowton Clark Baker KEA Westwood Sylla Albrighton Benteke Gabby

Lambert's going for it. Bacuna Weimann dropped while Benteke keeps place. Finally have players that can play wide and cross in Lowton and Albrighton on pitch.

Bench is awful weak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

squad looks decimated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Valencia, Giggs, Cleverley, Welbeck

We're going to lose this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

To make up numbers you think?

Probably, Carrick, RVP, Vidic, Smalling, Fellaini, Carrick & Hernandez all out injured.

Can't imagine Fletcher will ever be anything like a top level player again. If he could get back to a level where he's a useful squad player it'd be an incredible achievement but the odds are even stacked against him on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

No Hernandez, Kagawa, Nani?

Bench is awful weak

Villa could cause trouble today. The midfield is horrible, and the back up is non existant so I fear for us in there. Giggs needs to take up better positions defensively since he cant tackle and cut out balls

Blind faith for a result today it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Who is on the bench?

• Advertisement

Hernandez should be in that team.

Blatter wrote: »
    Probably, Carrick, RVP, Vidic, Smalling, Fellaini, Carrick & Hernandez all out injured.

Can't imagine Fletcher will ever be anything like a top level player again. If he could get back to a level where he's a useful squad player it'd be an incredible achievement but the odds are even stacked against him on that.

That amount of injuries is a bit worrying, normally its just the defence that gets annihilated, its spread to the whole team now apparently

Can some one post the united bench? Great to see Fletcher back.

Rooney needs to help the midfield today actually, doesn't matter whether he wants to or not, he needs to do a job for the team today. Obviously he is gonna have to score too since Welbeck is his strike partner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

United Subs: Lindegaard, Ferdinand, Young, Fabio, Fletcher, Buttner, Zaha

Is Anderson injured too? I'm surprised he's not on the bench given the lack of options.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

This is such a guaranteed United win historically that I don't think even a weak lineup (that it seems to be) can demolish it. Benteke is off form, Villa are better away and Villa just lost at Fulham

Comfortable away win. Surely....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Rooney needs to help the midfield today actually, doesn't matter whether he wants to or not, he needs to do a job for the team today. Obviously he is gonna have to score too since Welbeck is his strike partner :)

Very hypothetical but thank god he never left. We'd be in some state without him at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

A loss and united could slip to 11th :o

dfx- wrote: »
    This is such a guaranteed United win historically that I don't think even a weak lineup (that it seems to be) can demolish it. Benteke is off form, Villa are better away and Villa just lost at Fulham

Comfortable away win. Surely....

Making a habit of breaking with tradition this season though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Who have we got to come on if we're chasing the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

United to win comfortably.

Who have we got to come on if we're chasing the game?

Young and Zaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

Bench is awful weak

It should hold up. Anderson isn't on it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Why no Kagawa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

BNMC wrote: »
    Why no Kagawa?

Club suspension due to his Twitter comments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement