Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks

Options
  • 15-12-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to the guy that saved my friend in Kellys pub last night

She was choking on food and he seen it, jumped out of his seat in an instant and performed the Heimlich.

She was actually turning blue so it was serious.

You basically saved her.

Thank you and happy Christmas :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Wow! That is great. I hope he sees this.

Edit: As an aside, the Heimlich is pretty easy to learn and it's worth knowing, particularly around small children.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Wow! That is great. I hope he sees this.

Edit: As an aside, the Heimlich is pretty easy to learn and it's worth knowing, particularly around small children.

And if anyone wants to learn how to deal with these situations, FirstAid.ie run training courses once a month in Flannery's in Renmore. I did my refresher with them last month and they were very nice and very knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've always thought basic first aid courses should be part of the curriculum in schools for every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

MadYaker wrote: »
    I've always thought basic first aid courses should be part of the curriculum in schools for every year.

Agree 100%

When you consider the amount of hours dedicated to religion for example.

10 or so hours a year for first aid would be beneficial to all kids and would ultimately save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

They should also be part of every antenatal course, in my opinion, as choking is an issue with small kids. Although I learn during my last class that the Heimlich isn't used anymore as it was too complicated of difficult if you're not that strong as it involves lifting - they showed us how to really whack someone's back instead...

Also, first aid courses are mandatory when you do your drivers license in some countries, should be made mandatory here as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

And NEVER use the Heimlich on small children,you could very seriously injure them at the very least. If first aid was taught as an exam subject it might make people a lot more confident in it. In areas where first aid is a necessary requirement it ought to be refreshed yearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If it was taught as an exam subject, lots of people would be over-confidently running around with vastly outdated information.

Courses are great - but if you're gonna do one, make sure you do refreshers at the recommended intervals too. Evidence-based advice on what to do about certain problems actually changes quite a bit over time.

And make sure that you remember, you're only ever providing first aid, that is emergency assistance until the person can see a qualified health professional.

Advertisement