Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working and traveling in New Zealand 2014

Options
  • 15-12-2013 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm taking a gap year next year and am planning on backpacking in a foreign country. So far, New Zealand has really stood out to me for a 3-4 month working holiday. Does anyone have any advice on where to start? Budget could be an issue but I'm hoping there are organisations that provide help and support to backpackers!! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

What do you mean when you say "where to start" and provide "help and support to backpackers"? Do you need travel info, work info, activities to do...? There's tons of info out there. I don't think anyone as much provides help and support but things like Lonely planet guides are a must, and staying at hostels of a certain standard like the BBH or YMCA Hostels will ensure good quality accommodation. Mostly every town or city has a a tourist office called an i-Site which will have friendly staff to help you book accommodation or find activities nearby.

If you plan in staying in hostels as most backpackers do then they themselves are a treasure trove of information. They always have noticeboards or information areas filled with local activities and travel advice, possibly some jobs and stuff for sale. The other backpackers themselves will also be a great source of info and you'll easily make friends while cooking your dinner or chilling with a beer.

If you chose to travel via Naked Bus, Stray Bus etc you'll meet and befriend lots of backpackers there too.

If there's specific stuff you want to know just ask as someone here will have the answer usually!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 samzehh

Thanks so much. You've actually answered a lot there. I was mainly wondering what the main organisations are that have a bunch of hostels etc. (you've answered that). I'll only be turning 18 this summer, so I'm very new to the whole travelling game..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Get your hands on a Lonely Planet or Rough Guide to New Zealand, they've both travel guides and give lots of info on everything you'll need for a a holiday or working holiday.

If you flick through some of the past threads on here you'll get another good amount of info too.

Best of luck on your travels too, you won't know everything about it til you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Well the main thing is that you'll have the time of your life, see some new things and meet some really cool people so you'll find the travelling game a lot of fun and very addictive. NZ is a lovely quiet and safe place to backpack around, and some of the hostels here are more like hotels with great facilities for travelers.

Advertisement