Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get permission to run business from residential?

Options
  • 15-12-2013 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

A family friend has a house that he was renting out to a family to live in for the past few years. They moved out and now hes at a loose end and offered me the house and said I could run my business from it.

Its in an ideal spot and would be perfect for my needs.

What legal/paperwork will need to be done? And roughly what kind of costs would we be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You mean aside from planning permission from the local authority to change from a residential to commercial unit?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

Paulw wrote: »
    You mean aside from planning permission from the local authority to change from a residential to commercial unit?? :confused:

I mean everything. Neither myself or the owner are sure whats involved. I just need someone to tell me what I need to do.

(Just to clarify: if I want the house I have do all the leg work. The owner will sign all the dotted lines that needs signing, but hes not going to be running around chasing up people and trying to get it all sorted out.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

BillyBoy13 wrote: »
    A family friend has a house that he was renting out to a family to live in for the past few years. They moved out and now hes at a loose end and offered me the house and said I could run my business from it.

What legal/paperwork will need to be done? And roughly what kind of costs would we be looking at?

What kind of Business, and would you also be living there as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Paulw wrote: »

Would you need change of permission for a home business?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

A retail business or are you just talking about a home office?

• Advertisement

ChRoMe wrote: »
    A retail business or are you just talking about a home office?

Im actually selling a service- its not retail.

All I'd be doing is using one room to take potential customers in and discuss their needs/options. And then after that Id go to their business/site and do whatever needs doing as per discussion.

I'd also use the bedrooms for storage etc

However saying all this, since it is a house, and since I am pretty flexible in terms not having a mortage/family etc if it would make things easier I probably could move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Im actually selling a service- its not retail.

All I'd be doing is using one room to take potential customers in and discuss their needs/options. And then after that Id go to their business/site and do whatever needs doing as per discussion.

I'd also use the bedrooms for storage etc

However saying all this, since it is a house, and since I am pretty flexible in terms not having a mortage/family etc if it would make things easier I a probably could move in.

The reality is that it's the nuisance value of your business that determines whether you'll fall foul of the planning authorities. You won't be making noise and won't be having loads of cars parking everywhere by the sound of things. I'd work away and apply for retention if it makes you feel happier.
    You will also need to pay rates - this is separate to the planning.

desbrook wrote: »
    You won't be making noise and won't be having loads of cars parking everywhere by the sound of things.

No definitely not. To be honest I reckon I could run the business there and nobody would be any the wiser. Id expect to have maybe 3-4 customers per day (and that would be a busy day) and literally it would be take them into the office for a half hour chat over a cup of tea. There will be no noise, no unsightly vans parked outside etc...

I'd work away and apply for retention if it makes you feel happier.

Retention? Hmm can you explain this please? Im after doing a quick google and it seems to be a concept about keeping your clients renewing their leases year after year?

You will also need to pay rates - this is separate to the planning.

Yeh this is one thing I did know to expect. Im going to go to the town hall in the morning and see what the rates will be like. Fingers crossed its reasonable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

The property owner will need to inform his insurance company of commercial use and to ensure there is liability cover for customers while they are in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You will need to tell your business' insurance company about your new location, and observe any requirements they have for providing public liability cover in this place.

Retention = asking for planning permission after the fact. So you start using the house for your business, and only ask for planning if someone from the council cops on and tells you that you need planning.

• Advertisement

Retention = asking for planning permission after the fact. So you start using the house for your business, and only ask for planning if someone from the council cops on and tells you that you need planning.

I'd imagine such a thing would be frowned upon. Or is it does it make much odds to the council either way?

Maybe it might be an idea to start out the business first and then give it a month or two and then apply for permission. It would be kinda harder for them to refuse me once we are in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'd imagine such a thing would be frowned upon. Or is it does it make much odds to the council either way?

Maybe it might be an idea to start out the business first and then give it a month or two and then apply for permission. It would be kinda harder for them to refuse me once we are in full swing.
    Yes. Applying for retention of an existing use of the property is common enough, and I think the council will understand that when you're running a business you need premises now, and moving in and then applying for retention of the use may be the only practicable option open to you. I don't think it will tell against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Look up your council's online planning applications - you might be surprised at just how many people apply for retention rather than for things they should have got planning for first!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The owner needs to take a more active interest in this as he will be affected. I can think of a couple of tax issues off the top of my head such as the different treatment of commercial and residential renting. Also rates attach to the property afaik so the owner should be aware that if you or a subsequent tenant leaves in arrears then he is liable. Sounds like alot of hassle for something that could be done in a local coffee shop?

Advertisement