Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lubricant for threading?

Options
  • 15-12-2013 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey guys, some of the threads on my mods are getting a little sticky/jammy at this stage and I thought it would be a good idea to lube them up. I've heard noalox is the thing to use, but I'm not sure if they sell it here. Is there an irish/european equivalent? What do you guys use to smooth up your threads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Mineral oil, Liquid paraffin or baby oil, Vaseline is a bit too greasy, not convinced of any benefits from Noalax and questions about it pitting Stainless Steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Liberty flights sell Noalox. I use the slightest dab of copperease if I need to.

Copper grease is usually a lousy conductor, throw a meter on it and see, silver grease does conduct, but tbh there is zero difference between some mineral oil and silver grease.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Copper grease is usually a lousy conductor, throw a meter on it and see, silver grease does conduct, but tbh there is zero difference between some mineral oil and silver grease.....

I don't use it for conductivity and the amount needed has no bearing on the connection... Tis literally the weeniest of dabs but works a treat at smoothing a thread. Has the benefit of not drying out unlike most oils etc.

Oils don't dry out...copper makes the grease dirty to use.

Edit: There are serious questions about the use of Noalax and it's ability to create a galvanic reaction, I have looked into it and will look into it more but rest assured from what I have learned about it I would not use Noalax at all on any vaping equipment. Mineral oil is way safer to use and readily available cheaply too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭craiclad

Oils don't dry out...copper makes the grease dirty to use.

Edit: There are serious questions about the use of Noalax and it's ability to create a galvanic reaction, I have looked into it and will look into it more but rest assured from what I have learned about it I would not use Noalax at all on any vaping equipment. Mineral oil is way safer to use and readily available cheaply too.

Really? Everyone on the american forums I browse swear by noalax. Are you saying it could damage vape gear?

Where would you recommend I pick up some mineral oil?

craiclad wrote: »
    Really? Everyone on the american forums I browse swear by noalax. Are you saying it could damage vape gear?

Where would you recommend I pick up some mineral oil?

Mineral oils is sold here as Baby oil or Liquid Paraffin....there has been some serious questions about Noalax...enough to keep me from bothering with it, it had to do with Galvanic action and Stainless steel.....there has been some talk about conductive lubricants.....not needed as far as I can see....and measure with a meter....the only one worth bothering about is a silver based lubricant,..but again it is not really needed.....baby oil, or Liquid Paraffin work just fine, if not the finest :)

Edit: both easy get in Tesco or a pharmacy and quite cheap too.....it is only mineral oil after all, and will not harm your mods at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭craiclad

Mineral oils is sold here as Baby oil or Liquid Paraffin....there has been some serious questions about Noalax...enough to keep me from bothering with it, it had to do with Galvanic action and Stainless steel.....there has been some talk about conductive lubricants.....not needed as far as I can see....and measure with a meter....the only one worth bothering about is a silver based lubricant,..but again it is not really needed.....baby oil, or Liquid Paraffin work just fine, if not the finest :)

Edit: both easy get in Tesco or a pharmacy and quite cheap too.....it is only mineral oil after all, and will not harm your mods at all.

Deadly, thanks for the reply! I'll pick some up as soon as I get the chance. Looking forward to the day when my provari doesn't wake my flatmate up if I take out the batteries. :)

Also, how much do you use? I'm assuming just put a few drops on a paper towel and wipe it around the threads?

craiclad wrote: »
    Deadly, thanks for the reply! I'll pick some up as soon as I get the chance. Looking forward to the day when my provari doesn't wake my flatmate up if I take out the batteries. :)

Also, how much do you use? I'm assuming just put a few drops on a paper towel and wipe it around the threads?

I stuck some in an old juice bottle.....do not do this...I warn you...Ha ha haaa...
    I did use it as juice and it is not nice to vape baby oil.....

About two to three drops seems to do the job, I clean the threads every so often and remove whatever oil I have put on and oil them again with some Liquid Paraffin or Baby oil, whichever is nearest......I have checked the resistance of the mods I use and there is zero difference using these oils.....not 0.01 ohm so I tKe it as fine....:)

Advertisement