Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I upgrade to ios7

• 15-12-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭

Just got my replacement iphone 5 and it comes with 6.1.4. What are people thoughts on IOS7? Battery seems to last longer now, and im missing some of the newer options like control panel and the swipe to close feature.
    Those who upgraded, do you wish you hadn't or are you glad you did?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm glad I did.
    Looks better and a couple of nice extras too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

When i got my iPhone 4S back in october it was my first Apple phone the main reason i got it was because of iOS7 its new look and added features made me want to get one.

I recently got a iPod 4th gen and it has iOS6 on it i really think from using iOS6 that upgrading to iOS7 is worth it i find it much better than 6 im not sure if the battery life is better or worse seems around the same to me to be honest.

And im sure the performance on a iPhone 5 would be even better on 7 than my iPhone 4S would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

don't know why anyone would want to stay on iOS 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭phill106

don't know why anyone would want to stay on iOS 6?

My main concern was ios7 eating up my battery!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Plenty of people with 4s having wifi issues after updating to IOS7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

No wifi issues here on the 4S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My battery isn't the greatest on my 4S and could probably do with replacing sometime in the near future, IOS7 is definitely harder on my battery life but I probably wouldn't notice it as much if it wasn't for the battery itself being quite worn out. All in all I really like IOS7, I'm glad I upgraded.

Haven't upgraded on my ipad 2 though, have heard reports of it being pretty slow and crashy after update as it just isn't able for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I've iOS 7 on 4s and have no battery or wifi issues.

I would see it as far superior to iOS 6, even for the control centre alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭phill106

Yeah did the upgrade last night, was missing the handy changes like control centre too much. All seems well so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Sorry for the thread bump but I just updated to ios7 on my iphone 5 and the battery life has gone dire. I turned off everything like background refresh and parallax desktop etc but it's still awful.

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Did you update in settings or through iTunes? Either way I would do a restore in iTunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

If you've messed around with the settings I'd first try a hard reset by holding the power button and home button until the Apple logo appears. If that doesn't work, consider restoring as a new iPhone.

Yep tried a hard reset and yes I updated thru iTunes.

I'll do a fresh install so and if that doesn't work then I'm off back to ios6 (if that's still possible).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

There's no going back to iOS 6, you're stuck on 7. Apple doesn't allow device downgrades.

Ok I think I've improved things. I killed all background processes, email, safari, google maps etc. Battery is now 68% now after light use for the day where before I would have needed to charge by now.

I guess a clean install would have achieved the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

quarryman wrote: »
    Ok I think I've improved things. I killed all background processes, email, safari, google maps etc. Battery is now 68% now after light use for the day where before I would have needed to charge by now.

My battery life is pretty solid considering I have email & iCloud on fetch hourly, push notifications for Facebook messenger & App Store updates. A lot of messaging, Facebook & safari browsing on a mix between 3G/4G/Wifi - always connected to Internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

The main ones to kill are only the background app refresh and push email. I have the rest on 24/7 ... location...wifi...etc.

I get a day's use and recharge when I get back from work. That's fine by me. I often recharge a few times a day also by leaving it on it's cradle on my desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

The main advantage of staying on iOS 6 for now is jailbreaking,
    A lot of the cydia tweaks and apps are incompatible with iOS 7, and will need time to be updated, also the recent jailbreak can be a bit buggy.

The only other reason i can see, is if you do not like the iOS 7 interface, to me it is very bare and white looking.i would prefer the beautiful wooden bookshelf in ibooks for example instead of this blank white space.

I should have been clearer above. I meant to say I killed all open processes. Most running again and the battery life seems good. So obviuosly something was using lots of CPU after the upgrade to ios7 that needed a restart...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I should have been clearer above. I meant to say I killed all open processes. Most running again and the battery life seems good. So obviuosly something was using lots of CPU after the upgrade to ios7 that needed a restart...

Good stuff. A hard reset every few weeks is a good thing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

waveform wrote: »
    The main advantage of staying on iOS 6 for now is jailbreaking,
    A lot of the cydia tweaks and apps are incompatible with iOS 7, and will need time to be updated, also the recent jailbreak can be a bit buggy.

The only other reason i can see, is if you do not like the iOS 7 interface, to me it is very bare and white looking.i would prefer the beautiful wooden bookshelf in ibooks for example instead of this blank white space.
    I did an update on an ipad 3 from jailbroke 6 to 7. Started it before realising probably shouldn't have bothered.
    It stalled at reboot with the connect iTunes logo.
    I had to connect to iTunes on pc hard reset and install ios7.
    Seemed to require a few attempts - (might be part of the process) but eventually ended up with a factory fresh 7.04 back in jail.
    Luckily there wasn't much to lose on it, didn't really lose anything.
    Wasn't really using much jailbreak stuff so at least its up to date and seems ok.

Advertisement