Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age spots

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

I've tried the Garnier version of that product
    http://www.boots.ie/en/Garnier-Skin-Naturals-Dark-Spot-Corrector-50ml_1262029/

I think those products are usually based on Vitamin C. So, using lime/lemon juice probably has much the same effect. It hasn't worked for me, but it does for some people apparently. I've also tried cider vinegar (acetic acid is supposed to lighten them) but this didn't really help me either.

The best advice I got was to use suncream (a really good one that blocks both UVA and UVB - Boots kids suncream is actually very good and cheap). It will prevent new spots appearing, and the ones that I already have seem to be fading. I use it everday, before I put on make-up.

There are hydroquinone based creams available, if the spots are really bad. This is pretty harsh stuff though, and it seems to produce pretty mixed results. You may even need a prescription for it in Ireland ... I'm not sure. Either way, I've decided to not go down this more 'drastic' route, if I can avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I use apple cider vinegar and water as a toner and it has reduced pigmentation and brightened my skin a lot so I suppose it would probably reduce age spots over time.

Hydroquinone is a bit if a controversial one because some people think it can cause them to come back even worse and cause other problems. I don't know if they even prescribe it here though.

TCA peels on the area are supposed to be great but I don't know if you are prepared to go down that route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

Thanks. I've done so much research and I think I'll seriously try the natural route, that is stick with it and not only just when I remember it! The peels are just so expensive, I think I need to show dedication before I could justify forking out big time. Lemons and apple cider vinegar it is so. Was just hoping someone could offer hope with a miracle cream - seems it doesn't exist. I know using a SPF is really important; pity I didn't learn that earlier in life!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Ever try whitening creams i know my mother used it on her hand to get rid of her age spots but it wrecked the skin came out in blisters and a rash so she had to discontinue it.

I dont think whiteners are for white people i had to tell my mom - i think it was a stupid and a dangerous thing to do.

Actualy on second thought dont use the whiteners!!!! :eek:

Ever try whitening creams i know my mother used it on her hand to get rid of her age spots but it wrecked the skin came out in blisters and a rash so she had to discontinue it.

I dont think whiteners are for white people i had to tell my mom - i think it was a stupid and a dangerous thing to do.

Actualy on second thought dont use the whiteners!!!! :eek:

It depends what "whiteners" you're referring to. Different lightening creams have different ingredients. Some use hydroquinone or a certain combination of acids. Some have melanin inhibitors that I couldn't even tell you the name of. There's retinoids- retain a and other forms. There's so many that do different things, and not all are just for whitening skin, they can reduce pigmentation like melasma or pigmentation from scars, reduce redness, uneven tone. Retin a is used to treat acne afaik. Depending on which one is used the after care and downtime/ reactions will differ. A lot will cause peeling and dryness as that is effectively how it works to remove the damage. Its scary if you don't know the ingredients in the cream and aren't aware of how to treat your skin while using them but its not necessarily "bad" for your skin as such. Depends how much you're willing to do to it!

As for the peels, you can get some light ones, if you feel TCA is too much and work you're way up if you find them beneficial. There's some nice enzyme ones that are quite gentle and decent enough price wise. Or you could see about spot treating the areas rather than a whole face one which might cut down the cost. Although I do agree that the natural route may work just as well if you're committed to it and don't get lazy! Especially with the SPF!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

You need to start using products that contain vitamin C. Also lactic acid peels are good.

I was told the yesterday in the beauty salon I go to that image ageless skin lightener serum is excellent for age spots! Makes sense, has kojic acid, vitamin c and some other magical stuff! If you're looking up reviews though make sure its the lightener serum and not the bleaching one as the bleaching one is containing hydroquinone and don't think its sold here anyway. And it was a girl who always tries to limit my spending and whatnot, like when I asked her about using one of their other creams once she told me what I'm using is pretty much the same so don't waste money, so I'd trust her recommendations

I'm thinking of giving it a shot so I can keep you updated if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

I could recommend this more because most of us dream of having smooth, clear skin. However, our busy lifestyle and exposure to the elements often result in spots and blemishes.

FLP Epiblanc’s exclusive formula is specifically designed to brighten the complexion and even skin tone while helping to diminish the appearance of dark spots. Our 100% stabilized Aloe Vera is an excellent base for natural botanicals such as Arbutin (Bearberry), Rumex Occidentalis and Natural Vitamin E, resulting in this extraordinary product. FLP Epiblanc® is most effective when applied directly to blemishes or dark spots on the skin.

Drop me a PM and I can give you more info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

Tasden wrote: »
    I was told the yesterday in the beauty salon I go to that image ageless skin lightener serum is excellent for age spots! Makes sense, has kojic acid, vitamin c and some other magical stuff! If you're looking up reviews though make sure its the lightener serum and not the bleaching one as the bleaching one is containing hydroquinone and don't think its sold here anyway. And it was a girl who always tries to limit my spending and whatnot, like when I asked her about using one of their other creams once she told me what I'm using is pretty much the same so don't waste money, so I'd trust her recommendations

I'm thinking of giving it a shot so I can keep you updated if you like!

Would appreciate that. The reviews out there seem very promising. Any idea what price your lady was charging? Have found it on Amazon.com for $20.95 but no shipping to Ireland. On Ebay it comes in at approx. €38.

Think its thirty something alright. But if you're near dublin keep an eye on Akina laser and beauty twitter/Facebook they do regular enough deals on image stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement