Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom and there crap speeds

• 15-12-2013 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

I signed up for Eircoms unlimited broadband for €35 a month back in September but the speeds are terrible currently my upload speed is 0.21 Mbps, Download is 2.61 Mpbs and the Ping is 39 Ms. I can barely watch Netflix without it buffering and getting stuck. I'm in Dundalk btw and my uncle across the road from me is only getting slightly better speeds than myself.

I complained on Twitter about my speeds to a eircom Representative and he said the speeds I am getting were actually very good :confused: . Obviously i've signed for the year back in September so i've got around 10 months left with Eircom I was thinking about signing up for the E-Fibre as its currenly avaliable in my area but this would require me signing up for another 18 months with eircom.

Would it be worth my while signing up for E-Fibre? A few people who live close by signed up for E-Fibre and are getting speeds of 40 Mpbs. Now, I may be wrong in saying this but I doubt my speeds are going to go from 2.61 Mpbs to anything near 40?

Would there be any reasons as to why my Speeds are so crap. I live in a apartment block above a post office and chemist would this have any bearing on internet speeds?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if efibre is available to you go get it, it will be far better than what you have now unless you are over 1km from the nearest cabinet and feel priviledged that you can get a service which will offer decent speeds well beyond 10megs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Gonzo wrote: »
    if efibre is available to you go get it, it will be far better than what you have now unless you are over 1km from the nearest cabinet and feel priviledged that you can get a service which will offer decent speeds well beyond 10megs!

This is a silly question but what is a cabinet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A green box out on the road.

DSC_0741_zpsdef3ad70.jpg

If there's one like that near you then its likely you can get fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Aye there's one of those cabinets across the road from myself

Only thing putting me off getting the efibre is that I've to sign a 18 month contract the current lease on my apartment expires in August so dunno what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ED E wrote: »
    A green box out on the road.

DSC_0741_zpsdef3ad70.jpg

If there's one like that near you then its likely you can get fibre.

I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE

Gasp!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CathalORourke

James__10 wrote: »
    I signed up for Eircoms unlimited broadband for €35 a month back in September but the speeds are terrible currently my upload speed is 0.21 Mbps, Download is 2.61 Mpbs and the Ping is 39 Ms. I can barely watch Netflix without it buffering and getting stuck. I'm in Dundalk btw and my uncle across the road from me is only getting slightly better speeds than myself.

Congestion/Contention appears to be a major problem in the north Leinster area. We also have the same 'service' and evening d/l speeds are around 1-2Mbps, whereas in the morning nearer 10Mbps (which is still less than promised, and what we were achieving months ago).

Sadly, where I am located in Trim, I have no other options, but I have shouted long and hard at their 'techies' and have been promised escalation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Congestion/Contention appears to be a major problem in the north Leinster area. We also have the same 'service' and evening d/l speeds are around 1-2Mbps, whereas in the morning nearer 10Mbps (which is still less than promised, and what we were achieving months ago).

Sadly, where I am located in Trim, I have no other options, but I have shouted long and hard at their 'techies' and have been promised escalation.

It just depends on whether the exchange is connected to their new next generation network (all IP high bandwidth) or to their legacy network that's really not designed to carry that volume of data.

Both are fibre based.

Small rural exchanges are often the ones that are last to be connected to the new backbone. So it's probably not a North Leinster issue but more of an urban vs rural thing unfortunately.

We are (unbelievably) on their next generation network. This was 'upgraded' earlier this year. We went from 8Mbps to around (a PSTN limited) 14Mbps, but it's been a long time since we've seen that speed.

Seems odd that you've congestion issues in that case. There should be plenty of capacity to the outside world.

• Advertisement

So say their Sales people when they sell the 'service'.

The sales people always work from the best case scenario technical ideal rather than real world speeds.

It's the same with the mobile companies. The 'up to' terminology is the get out clause.

eFibre is a different ball game as they won't sell it if it won't work, but still very few people will get the maximum speeds as you'd have to literally have the cabinet on your grass margin.

Advertisement