Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl bread smaller?but same price

Options
  • 15-12-2013 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Ive always been an advocate and customer of Lidl

I usually buy one of their breads (crusty cob) and slice it in the machine instore, I didnt notice what it previously weighed, but from a few weeks ago, it appears to have gotten smaller but is still the same price, I noted the current weight is 400g, does anyone know if this was the previous weight?

When I thought this was the case first, it seemed like the bread was 15-20% smaller, if it had been previously 500g my rough estimate would be correct.

Anyone know for sure, Im nearly certain it has been reduced in weight/size.
    If this is the case, I'd rather they put the price up and kept it the same size, as the other seems to disguise a price increase.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

This is quite common in the grocery trade.

Dispatches did a special on Poundland (Dealz) about their advertising that the prices had not increased but the amount of product had in some cases halved.

I believe cadburys did it aswell.

Also every year the box of roses and quality st are smaller. I remember a 2KG box of quality st that lasted the whole xmas period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Ive heard of the tactic, Im just wondering if I'm imagining it or if its just a batch (no pun) of smaller than usual looking breads?

It seemed very noticeable when I saw it, I just thought, it looked significantly smaller.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed it too or what the exact weight was before, even on another bread type in Lidl, maybe they introduced the idea on one type and see if people get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

OP if I remember correctly this was sold originally as a 400g loaf so maybe all that has happened is that they have tightened up quality control in the bakery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think they were always 400g, as I recall thinking it was just under a 1lb loaf. Can't say I've seen any change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

maybe it isnt so, i thought they seem smaller though, for some reason it got my attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I would guess they use the same standardised bread sizes as most places.

1/2 loaf = 400g, full loaf = 800g

It could be the flour / other ingredients have changed slightly to give a smaller but denser bread.

Advertisement