Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kona Can Wait!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

catweazle wrote: »
    Wine is synonymous with France Dory so perhaps check the shop for Freedom gums instead ;)

Oh, yes...now I know what they are! They're the red, white and blue gums on the rack below our National flag in the patriotic section of the shop. Of course!!!
    <skips off whistling Dixie....> ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Monday 24th February
    a.m.
    Recovery Run;
    6.00km in 33.57
    Average Pace = 5.40/km

p.m.
    Recovery Run;
    10.01km in 33.57
    Average Pace = 4.50/km

I had to get to swimming tonight and I was short of time when I began this run. Because of this I ran it at a slightly quicker pace than what I usually run my recoveries at.

Tuesday 25th February
    Medium Long Run;
    24.00km in 1.50.39
    Average Pace = 4.37/km

I've been taking fuel on board for most of my 20km+ runs of late. Today I decided to run on empty instead. I started at half 6 in the evening, having not eaten since 12.30. I also resisted the temptation to take some Jelly Babies with me.

Wednesday 26th February
    Intervals;
    19.00km
    Average Pace = 5.40/km

Warm up;
    5.50km in 28.41 (5.13/km)

Intervals
    1 - 1.00km in 3.07 (3.08/km)
    2 - 1.00km in 3.16 (3.17/km)
    3 - 1.00km in 3.13 (3.14/km)
    4 - 1.01km in 3.14 (3.12/km)
    5 - 0.99km in 3.16 (3.18/km)
    6 - 1.00km in 3.16 (3.17/km)

I was running on the path on the south side of the Playing Fields. There was a crosswind, it wasn't very strong and it was hard to tell when it was in my favour. Looking at my splits, it would appear I went out too quickly on my first interval, but I actually thought at the time that I was holding back a little bit.
    I'm happy to have gotten all the intervals done under pace, but it was tough. I have shorter intervals to do next week (5 x 600m @ 5k pace). I was going to do them as a set of hill reps, but think after tonight that a speed session will be more valuable to me.

Cool down;
    4.50km in 25.20 (5.38/km)

Thursday 27th February
    Recovery Run;
    10.00km in 56.51
    Average Pace = 5.41/km

I was meant yo do a second recovery run of 6km in the evening, but I'll leave it until Saturday and do it then.

Friday 28th February
    Medium Long Run;
    19.00km in 1.26.10
    4.32/km

I've a hard day on Sunday, so didn't want anything too taxing today. l wasn't looking for any hills on this run and I stayed north of Chesterfield Avenue for this reason. Although it was being run on flat road, I was happy with my finishing time.

Saturday 1st March
    Recovery Run;
    11.01km in 58.29
    Average Pace = 5.18/km

I ran this in Tokla Valley Park. Although it's right beside the apartments I live in, today was the first time I ran there. I ran into scangers on scramblers, so might be better off sticking to The Phoenix Park in future.

Recovery Run;
    6.09km in 34.46
    Average Pace = 5.43/km

Sunday 2nd March
    Long Run;
    32.04km w. 23km @ PMP in 2.08.32

Warm up;
    6.00km in 27.15 (4.33/km)

23.02km in 1.27.47 (3.49/km)
    Last kilometre 3.16/km

Cool down;
    3.02km in 13.30 (4.29/km)

I felt from a long time off that this was probably the most important run in the entire 18 week programme. I'm happy with the way it went. I was running south of Chesterfield Avenue. The 23 kilometres included two runs up the Khyber and I managed to keep the pace at least five seconds below target pace for each kilometre split. I went for my customary Gebresaillse kick for the final kilometre and managed to run it in 3.16.
    Re fueling, I took 6 gels and no water over the two or so hours.

Weekly Totals;
    137.15km
    8 hours 10 minutes approximately

I'm quite happy with how things have gone up to now. I was on target for the two hard sessions of the week, the intervals on Wednesday and the long run on Sunday. I think Sunday's long run was always going to be a real test of how my training has gone. I was comfortably able to hit the desired pace. I'm very happy with my final average pace of 3.49 for the MP section. I know I only ran for just over half the distance of a marathon, but if I can hold this for 42 odd kilometres in Connemara, I'll have a time in the low 2.40's. One can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

saw your name in the paper today .33.54 for 10 k is not a bad time since the course was not that fast, looks like you are approx 2.35is h for a fast marathon course with the milage you are doing.

peter kern wrote: »
    saw your name in the paper today .33.54 for 10 k is not a bad time since the course was not that fast, looks like you are approx 2.35is h for a fast marathon course with the milage you are doing.

The paper I saw had 33.52;)

I don't think I'm ready for a 2.35 on any course. Glad the Peter Kern Running Calculator predicts this time though. And rather inconveniently Connemara is not fast, so we'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

So will the title of the log be changing now that Mallorca is on the cards? :pac:

Nice running at the weekend. :cool:

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    So will the title of the log be changing now that Mallorca is on the cards? :pac:

Nice running at the weekend. :cool:

No, Kona can still wait. I'm not getting back on my bike until April 8th at very earliest.

I had a cold this week, which lasted a few days. Although I still got out everyday, it was a nuisance and messed up my training. Finished off the week with a 10km PB, so no long term damage was done.

Monday 3rd March
    a.m.
    Recovery Run;
    10.04km in 53.39
    5.32/km

p.m.
    Recovery Run;
    6.05km in 33.29
    5.32/km

Tuesday 4th March
    Medium Long Run;
    22.14km in 1.44.13
    4.43/km

Beginning the week I was hoping to achieve a good time in a 10k tune-up race I'm due to do on Sunday. To give myself the best chance of a PB, it was my intention to keep things as easy as possible this week. Going on this thinking, it was my plan to do run my LR and MLR at the slower end of the scale. I was feeling the onset of a cold and to make this session even less taxing I ran the whole 22 kilometres north of Chesterfield Avenue. Average pace was okay, but the whole run was tougher than it usually is.

Wednesday 5th March
    General Aerobic Run;
    14.04 in 1.09.08
    4.55/km

This was supposed to be 15km with intervals, but my cold was a lot worse than yesterday and it would have been a futile session doing intervals. I cut my losses, got the distance done, and changed the interval session to a tempo run. Overall average pace was where I wanted it to be, but a few of the kilometres were outside my target time of 4.48.
    I was following the mantra of feeding a cold. I'm not so sure that this cure actually works, but I enjoy stuffing myself. It wasn't so enjoyable towards the end of this run though when I had to take an unscheduled pit stop.

Thursday 6th March
    Recovery Run;
    10.27km in 56.33
    5.30/km

I took as much over the counter medication as recommended before going to bed last night and for a second day in a row skipped my morning training session. I wasn't 100% over my cold, but I was a lot better than I was over the previous few days.

Friday 7th March
    Long Run;
    29.01km in 2.12.34
    4.34/km

I was back to almost full health today and I was able for a swim in the morning. I still don't think I'm at racing weight and with less than a month to the marathon, it's something I plan to start watching more closely. To get a bit of fat burned I didn't eat beforehand or take any gels for the first hour of tonight's run. I took three gels after that and finished the second half a lot quicker than the first.

Saturday 8th March
    Recovery Run + speed
    11km w. 6 x 100m in 58.34
    5.19/km

I left this session to the day before race day. I thought the little bit of speed work would be more beneficial here than midweek.

Sunday 9th March
    10km Tune up Race

Warm up;
    3.00km in 16.10
    Average Pace = 5.23/km

Stretching & Drills

10km race in 33.52
    Average Pace = 3.22/km

Cool down
    3.5km approximately

Weekly Totals;
    9 hours 40 minutes approximately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nice prize money. You didn't mention that in your report!

Nice prize money. You didn't mention that in your report!

I haven't received anything yet. And if the postal service for the prize money is the same as for their race numbers, I'll never receive it.

But I'll do a report by and by, and I'll mention it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

zico10 wrote: »

10km race in 33.52
    Average Pace = 3.22/km

Probably the quickest triathlete in these parts. Very impressive

Abhainn wrote: »
    Probably the quickest triathlete in these parts. Very impressive

Some people on here are wasted in Triathlon. They'd be top runners on the domestic circuit.

Not having raced a 10k since last October, I wasn't really sure what to expect from this. I did 36.06 that day, but on account of the volume I've done since then I was expecting to go a good bit faster. I was targetting 34.??, for the simple reason that sub 35 had a nice ring it.

Taking the start line Gary O'Hanlon was the only one I recognized. I knew Sean Hehir in compression socks was the same guy in compression socks who sped past me during my marathon paced run the previous Sunday. I never expected to be anywhere close to them and within 10 seconds of the gun going off the two of them clearly had 1st and 2nd places wrapped up.

It was much closer between me and the 4th placed finisher for much longer. I was running way faster than the pace need to break 35 minutes, but I thought if I could open up a gap on him early on, I might have been able to hold on for 3rd. I think I run down hills pretty well, so I made a move at the top of the Lower Glen Road just after we turned off the Knockmaroon Road. I manage to pull away, but I didn't look back for a long time. I try not to do this in case it serves as an incentive for my pushers to try catch me.

I got to the halfway mark still in 3rd place and kept up the speed all the way down Chesterfield Avenue. When I got to the roundabout that turns onto the Ordnance Road I only needed to look to my left to see how far ahead I was. There was still nearly 4km to go, but the gap was big enough now that I was confident I'd hold on for 3rd.

In pursuit of a good time though I pushed on. Whenever I looked at my watch it showed I was running my kilometre splits in or around 4.20 and I calculated I was on course for a sub 34 minute race if I could keep this up. The watch kept me focussed and unlike the duathlon I did two weeks ago, it was great to have a time to chase.

Kilometre 9 was a lot slower than the previous eight and I knew I'd have to pick it back up for the final kilometre. I kicked on after passing the 9km distance marker. I was able to keep up the speed until crossing the finish line and was very happy to see 33.4? on the clock as I approached the finishing gantry.

I was very happy with my finishing time and delighted to have came 3rd and share the podium with such exalted company. This was made all the sweeter by the €300 prize money that went it. I had no idea the Fit Magazine were paying out such amounts. They presented Seán Hehir with an €800 cheque. However I hadn't read what had been said about prizes on their website, and when standing in for the photo I didn't know what, if anything I would be getting.

I went home with the promise that a cheque would be posted out to me. It was a nice surprise that evening when I checked the website again and saw how much I was due to receive.

Very well done, and very well deserved. Super result, Zico!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

A few more of those and that's the IM paid for!! Great running. That time certainly points to a 2:35 on a fair or fast marathon course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Ryath

What's the prize money for third in Connemara? :)
    Savage running!

A few more of those and that's the IM paid for!! Great running. That time certainly points to a 2:35 on a fair or fast marathon course.

I was lucky Ballycotton was on the same day, and the Inter Varsities Cross Country the day before. I would have been a long way off 3rd had those races not been on. The prize money is most welcome, but I don't think there'll be much more coming my way.

2.35, 42 kilometres @ 3.40/km.:eek:
    Like I said before I just don't think I'm ready for that.

Ryath wrote: »
    What's the prize money for third in Connemara? :)
    Savage running!

There was no prize money for it back in 2009 and I don't think it's changed. I did get a Galway Crystal trophy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

A few more of those and that's the IM paid for!!

a guy that looked very similar to zico has been seen to leave a running shop close to the phoenix park with a big yellow and black shopping bag last monday .....

peter kern wrote: »
    a guy that looked very similar to zico has been seen to leave a running shop close to the phoenix park with a big yellow and black shopping bag last monday .....

He must have been very handsome whoever he was. The real zico left that running shop on Tuesday evening with just a big black shoebox and no shopping bag.

• Advertisement

Monday 10th March
    a.m.
    Recovery Run;
    10.00km in 53.10
    5.19/km

I started this around 6.30 in the morning. It was cold starting off, but it was bright from the get go and it was a lovely morning for a run. Felt great to be just taking things nice and easy after yesterday's race.

p.m.
    Recovery Run;
    6.01km in 33.08
    5.31/km

Tuesday 11th March
    General Aerobic Run;
    13.00km in 1.02.17
    4.47/km

I ran this by the canal from Clonsilla to Leixlip. Although the pace wasn't frantic my legs felt heavy. Maybe Sunday's 10k took more out of me than I thought.

I finished up early in the evening and had time to call into Amphibian King in Ashtown. After the race on Sunday, both Sean Hehir and Gary O'Hanlon told me I should get shoes just for racing. Who am I to argue with those two? Being €300 richer on account of racing, I could justify the outlay. I tried on a few different pairs and went for a run in two pairs, before settling on DQ Cloudracers.

Wednesday 12th March
    Intervals;
    18km w. 6 x 1,200m @ 5k pace

Warm up - 4.03km in 21.05 (5.14/km)

Stretching & drills

Intervals;
    1 - 1.21km in 4.05 (3.22/km)
    2 - 1.21km in 3.56 (3.16/km)
    3 - 1.21km in 4.01 (3.20/km)
    4 - 1.20km in 4.03 (3.22/km)
    5 - 1.21km in 4.04 (3.23/km)
    6 - 1.21km in 4.07 (3.26/km)
    Total - 7.25km in 24.16 (3.22/km)

Cool down - 4.12km in 24.17 (5.54/km)

The overall average pace was outside my target pace of <3.20/km, and indeed only one of my intervals was on target. It's disappointing, but after the efforts of Sunday maybe not entirely unexpected. Compared to shorter intervals, I possibly wasn't taking a long enough recovery. Two seconds per kilometre quicker overall and I'd have been happy, so I wasn't so slow that it's a huge concern. Also I was running on grass which wouldn't have helped my speed.

Thursday 13th March
    Recovery Run;
    10.00km in 54.44
    5.28/km

Legs felt tired. It could be just mental though after missing my target speed yesterday.

Friday 14th March
    a.m.
    Recovery Run;
    6.00km in 31.12
    5.12/km

I mentioned previously that I bought new runners on Tuesday, which I wore for the first time today. They're go faster DQ Cloudracers, that are supposedly most effective at speeds <4.00/km. I wasn't doing anything like that this morning, but I needed to break them in before seeing just how good they are in a 10k race next weekend.

p.m.
    Medium Long Run;
    24.00km in 1.41.35
    4.14/km

I ran this along the Royal Canal Way from Clonsilla out past Leixlip. I don't think I quite made it to Maynooth. The wind was against me on the way out. It wasn't strong, but it was there. I covered the first outward 12km in 52.23 (4.22/km) and the wind assisted return leg in 49.22 (4.06/km). I wasn't pushing excessively hard and just kept the pace steady like I've been doing on all my other long runs. All 24 kilometres were alongside the canal, so dead flat, but all the same it's nice to see an overall average pace good enough for a sub 3 marathon costing me so little. It's reassuring after the disappointing interval session I did on Wednesday.

Saturday 15th March
    Recovery w. Speed;
    13.53km w. 8 x 100m strides in 1.09.00
    5.06/km

I did the strides up the Khyber about 8km into my run. It was very nice out and it's the first time all year I headed out the door not wearing my running jacket.
    I stopped off at Amphibian King to pick up a belt for carrying gels on the way home. I need to start planning the finer details of race day now. Will trial this on a long run next Monday and hopefully it will be comfortable enough to wear on race day.

Sunday 16th March
    Recovery Run;
    10km approximately

I was supposed to be doing a 35km long run today, but I'm not working tomorrow and it suited me to postpone the run by 24 hours. I went out without my GPS and just ran at an easy pace for a little less than an hour.

Weekly Totals;
    110.55km
    8 hours 50 minutes approximately

April 6th is getting closer and closer now. I feel like I'm in good shape, the 10k race last Sunday has given me a lot of confidence. The distances I'm running seem to be paying off, and with only three weeks to go and the taper starting I see nothing interfering with my rigid adherence to the plan. Unfortunately a friend's stag is on the weekend before the race. It's going to take a lot of discipline to stick to Erdinger that weekend, but with it only being one week out from the marathon I've no choice.
    I've another 10km race pencilled in for next weekend. I haven't entered one yet, but wherever I'm running I'll go out looking to improve upon my 33.52 finish the last time.

Monday 17th March
    Long Run;
    35.01km in 2.27.17
    4.12/km

I finally sought out some proper hills for a long run.http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/374120117 I was down home it Roscrea and I drove to Kinnitty to run in the Slieve Bloom Mountains. I plotted a loop on mapmyrun that was just slightly over 15km. I parked just outside Kinnitty village and ran the loop twice. I passed my car twice on the run and stopped for water both times. I'd ran about 30.5km when I reached my car the second time and to finish off I ran on another 2.5km before turning around and heading back to my car.
    The whole run was done at a pace well ahead of my initial target speed for these long runs. It was comfortable though and makes me think I should be reassessing my goal for the marathon.

Tuesday 18th March
    Recovery Run;
    10.04km in 50.53
    5.04/km

I was supposed to be doing intervals today and getting up this morning I had planned to do them. However my quads were stiff after yesterday's run in the Slieve Blooms and decided to leave the intervals until tomorrow when I should be recovered.

Wednesday 19th March
    Medium Long Run;
    22.87km in 1.47.02
    4.41/km

My legs still hadn't fully recovered from Monday's long run, so I didn't do intervals today either.
    I was meant to be running 23km, but I got to a level crossing after 22.87km, the gates were closed and I stopped my watch to wait for them to open. For the sake of 130m, I wasn't bothered restarting it.

Thursday 20th March
    Intervals;
    14.5km w. 6 x 500m @ 5k pace

5.36km warm up in 27.09 (5.04/km)

1 - 0.58km in 1.47 (3.06/km)
    2 - 0.60km in 1.59 (3.19/km)
    3 - 0.59km in 1.50 (3.09/km)
    4 - 0.60km in 1.53 (3.08/km)
    5 - 0.59km in 1.52 (3.10/km)
    Totals - 2.96km in 9.21 (3.10/km)

4.51km cool down in 23.52 (5.18/km)

The wind was a significant factor today and I wanted to get as much assistance from it as possible. So I ran three of the intervals with the wind at my back. I'm very surprised by the time I clocked for my fourth effort, as it was against the wind and I had to work far harder for it than any of the other ones. The timer not starting immediately the GPS tracking kicked in, would explain it. It would be a strange thing to happen, but it is the most likely explanation.
    My legs felt heavy heading out the door, but after warming up and doing a few drills and strides the feeling went away. The intervals were much shorter this week, but I was glad to be able to run them at a pace well under 3.20/km.

Friday 21st March
    Recovery w. Speed;
    11.07km w. 6 x 100m strides in 59.12
    5.21/km

Saturday 22nd March
    a.m.
    3km recovery run in 16.00
    No GPS

3.5km warm up w. drills & strides

10km race in 34.05
    Average Pace = 3.23/km

Report to follow

Sunday 23rd March
    Medium Long Run;
    27.03km in 2.01.18
    4.29/km

I wasn't particularly looking forward to this after having to race yesterday and waited until 5 o'clock to head out. At least it wasn't a 'long' run though. I stayed within the walls of the Park and looking back on the stats I'm surprised how fast I went. I didn't take any fuel with me and the first half was a couple of minutes quicker than the second.

Weekly Totals;
    137km approximately
    10 hours 15 minutes approximately

A 5k race was being held alongside the 10k race I had entered, and because there weren't huge numbers both races started at the same time. Starting off we were grouped behind a few marshals about 10 metres from the start line. It was hard to know who was doing which race, but I was stubbornly holding my position right at the front of the pack. The organisers then asked for any 10k runners hoping to run between 35-40 minutes to step forward. Going on this I figured the standard wasn't going to be super and I'd no hesitation in moving a few steps forward.

Some others came forward as well and before the whistle went there were as many bodies hugging the start line as there has been at any other running race I've been at. I was right at the front though and wasn't worried about having umpteen bodies to run around. We were off soon enough and I pushed hard from the off just to get clear of the crowds. I was on my own for about 300m when somebody else came up to join me. He stayed behind me though and I could only hear his steps.

There was a slight uphill section at this point and he took the lead here. The road swept down just before a right turn and I passed him again and got to the turn first. I kept the lead for the majority of the race from here and kept pushing the pace hoping I'd lose the other runner.

I got to the 5km mark in 16.05, which pleased me. The other guy was right behind me though. I could always hear his steps and my plan of pushing a hard pace to lose him was not working.

The weather turned bad and the wind was against us after the half way point. Rain and sleet started to fall and I felt the other guy was possibly benefitting from sheltering behind me. I wasn't prepared to drop in behind him though and stayed where I was determined to hold him off.

I was still in the lead up to the 7.5km point, and if we were still together after completing 9km I'd kick from here and hopefully shake him off. He obviously had the same plan, only he implemented it here after 7½ kilometres. We were at the base of a hill, perhaps he knew the course, or perhaps he'd remembered passing me on the slight uphill section at the start and figured this would be a good point to make his move. Either way I couldn't go with him and he opened up a sizeable gap in a short space of time.

I managed to close it slightly on the subsequent downhill, but it was nothing significant. I had passed the 9km sign and I knew first place was gone. We were almost back in the village of Rhode and the other guy had slowed down somewhat from the initial surge he made at 7.5km. My insides were playing up when the finishing gantry came into view. We duly finished in 1st and 2nd positions. I crossed the line in 34.05 and he had beaten me by about 15 seconds.

I shook his hand, collected my winnings of €70, and rushed into the toilet of a pub that was right beside the finish line.

Overall I'm happy enough with my time. If I hadn't ran sub 34 minutes only two weeks previous, I'd be annoyed about missing out on it, but as it is it doesn't bother me in the least. It wasn't a fast course, the weather on the day was not favourable, and nor are 10k races my target. I've posted two 10k times in the last two weeks, that four months ago I wouldn't have taught possible. This gives me confidence for the marathon and hopefully I'll carry the form over to 6th April.

Monday 24th March
    Recovery Run;
    10.00km in 54.29
    5.27/km

Tuesday 25th March
    General Aerobic Run w. speed;
    13.19km w. 8 x 100m strides in 1.02.25
    4.44/km

Wednesday 26th March
    Intervals;

14.5km w. 3 x 1.6km @ 5k race pace

4.03km warm up in 21.30 (5.21/km)

1 - 1.60/km in 5.11 (3.15/km)
    2 - 1.60/km in 5.18 (3.19/km)
    3 - 1.59/km in 5.16 (3.19/km)
    Total - 4.79km in 15.43 (3.18/km)

4.10km cool down in 23.57 (5.51/km)

I went to The Polo Grounds for these intervals. After falling to hit my target speed for 1km+ intervals two weeks ago, I was determined to run longer intervals under 3.20/km on grass today. The going was soft to yielding. I managed the first one quiet comfortably, but the other two were much harder earned. It was a hard slog and given the conditions underfoot, I wouldn't have been too disappointed had I not hit my targets. All the same this was my last difficult run before the race, so I pushed that bit harder to come in on time.

Thursday 27th March
    Recovery Run;
    8.17km in 46.18
    5.40/km

Friday 28th March
    Recovery Run with Speed;
    11.49km in 1.02.36
    5.27/km

I was driving down to a stag today, so I got this done in the morning before work. It was a miserable morning to be running. It was raining, I hadn't a proper rain jacket on and I got soaked to the skin. It's never nice, but despite the many complaints I often hear about lousy Irish weather, it's not often I finish a run this wet and I've been out running every single day for the last 4 months.

Saturday 29th March
    Medium Long Run;
    21.01km in 1.34.39
    4.30/km

I was down in Lisdoonvarna for a stag and I stuck to Erdinger last night. The group were back in the pub early today and I spent another few alcohol free hours in their company. After a few hours drinking, they went off to play soccer and I went off for a run. I ran from Lisdoonvarna to Fanore and back. I was running in The Burren, which was hilly, and despite dangerously narrow and twisty roads, was a nice place to be running.

Sunday 30th March
    Recovery Run;
    10.01km in 53.27
    5.20/km

Another night off drink meant I rose much earlier than all my friends, who were still in bed when I went out for this early morning run. It's not something I'd normally do, but seeing as I was in a scenic part of the country I took my camera with me and took a few snaps along the route.
    It's a lot hillier down here than where I usually run in Dublin, and it would have been more suited to training for Connemarathon, but that's neither here nor there I guess.

Totals;
    88.37km
    7 hours 15 minutes approximately

One week to go now. The last session I thought there was a possibility I wouldn't hit the times was Wednesday's intervals, and I passed the test. Total distance was significantly down on what it has been, so I felt pretty fresh starting my runs. Nerves aren't really hitting me yet, it might be a different matter come race day. Now it's simply a matter of taking it easy and trying to keep my calorie intake in sync with the reduction in training.

Best of luck at the weekend....watch them hills!

Yes, the very best to you! If the quality of your training is any indication of how your performance might go, this will be one for the books!! Fingers crossed you smash all your expectations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

All the best this weekend. Have a great race

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Haven't posted on your log before Zico10 but have read your training with great interest, best of luck at weekend, have a great race

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I see there's a Kenyan in the Ultra, and another Kenyan entered in the half marathon, but the marathon looks all clear! Best of luck on Sunday Alan, and hopefully catch up with you afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Very disciplined and solid training the last number of months. Best of luck, not that you need it, you even have the Kenyans running scared:)

Advertisement