Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Questions via phone

Options
  • 15-12-2013 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

This might come across as paranoia but I just wanted to confirm what the correct procedure is for dealing with banks on the phone. Twice in the last week I have been cold called by banks(KBC and BOI) regarding my accounts and on both occasions I was asked by them for my mothers maiden name and date/place of birth. I didn't recognize the number I was called from but I answered the questions asked.

I understand the need for security questions but it seems to defeat the purpose if I am giving out this information to anyone that asks. Is there a better way of dealing with this, should I request that I ring them back at a number I look up on their website? Should I refuse to answer questions like this from cold callers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

This might come across as paranoia but I just wanted to confirm what the correct procedure is for dealing with banks on the phone. Twice in the last week I have been cold called by banks(KBC and BOI) regarding my accounts and on both occasions I was asked by them for my mothers maiden name and date/place of birth. I didn't recognize the number I was called from but I answered the questions asked.

I understand the need for security questions but it seems to defeat the purpose if I am giving out this information to anyone that asks. Is there a better way of dealing with this, should I request that I ring them back at a number I look up on their website? Should I refuse to answer questions like this from cold callers?

This is what I'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This is what I'd do.

But if they call you on a landline, be aware that there is a very sophisticated scam going on the UK whereby a credit card user gets a call supposedly from the police to inform them that someone has cloned their card and stating they they want to send someone around to their house to pick up the card for 'forensic tests'. When the user queries if they are for real, the caller reassuringly tells them they are correct to be suspicious, then invites them to hang up, dial 999, ask for the police and then ask to be connected to Detective Inspector so and so in the Fraud Squad.

When the user does as requested, they think they get connected to the guy who called them via the 999 service but what they don't realise is that the fake cop never hangs up so the original call is still connected. Accomplices of the original caller go through the motion of answering the 999 call and connecting them to the police emergency desk but there is no new call and the user is then convinced that he is talking to the police.

So if someone calls you and invites you to call them back on (e.g.) the number on the bank's website, best to use a different phone to make sure that you are actually calling the bank and not simply left on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Ask for their staff number and tell them you'll call them back on the number at the back of your credit/debit card.

Call that number and ask for that staff number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

coylemj wrote: »
    .........., best to use a different phone to make sure that you are actually calling the bank and not simply left on the line.

Why cant you just hang up the phone you're using?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I just flat out refuse to answer their questions.

I ask them the questions and when they refuse tell them that they know my address.

• Advertisement
Advertisement