Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air Source Heat Pumps & SPFs

• 15-12-2013 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at quotes for 2 air to water heat pumps (both prices include the hot water tank):

Heat Pump A
    SPF: 413
    Price: €12,350

Heat Pump B
    SPF: 363
    Price: €9,000

Is heat pump A worth the extra money if my estimated heating bill, using pump B is €880?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

BarneyMc wrote: »
    I'm looking at quotes for 2 air to water heat pumps (both prices include the hot water tank):

Heat Pump A

Heat Pump B

Is heat pump A worth the extra money if my estimated heating bill, using pump B is €880?

You cannot determine the SPF until the system is up and running. The SPF is the actual COP over a given time.

If you're being quoted COP then what are the figures its being quoted at A7/W35 or A2/W35. The later is the european standard and as such is the figure that should be quoted. Anyone using A7/W35 is just massaging the figures to make them look vaguely comparable to ground source units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

I was using this site to compare SPFs which I thought would be a good benchmark.

I'll see if I can get the A2/W35 COP then. Is there a central site for these HP COPs or is it just a matter of contacting the supplier?

OK, just looked up the Heat Pump B details and the COP is 4.3 at A7/W35!

Interesting, I'll ask the supplier what the 'real' (European) COP is.

OK, just looked up the Heat Pump B details and the COP is 4.3 at A7/W35!

Interesting, I'll ask the supplier what the 'real' (European) COP is.

if you can't find it on the irish or english brochures google their german sites, they'll nearly certainly have it on there.
    Bare in mind that figure ignores defrosts, hot water production and any use of the immersion. It is also installation dependent so can varying on the competence of the installer

Got the info about COP values so the full picture is (prices include hot water tanks):

Heat Pump A
    COP: 4.3

Heat Pump B
    COP: 3.5

Does this make it any easier to pick a winner?

• Advertisement

No because they're talking crap. No one can give you an spf until the system has been running in your house for one season at least. Your installation will determine your spf not some rubbish written on a brochure.

COP, s will tell you so much but its how you distribute the heat, at what temp and how its controlled will determine the outcome and spf on an a2w system.

Therefore if the cheaper unit with the lesser cop were installed better it would give you a better end result than the more expensive unit installed badly.

Condenser wrote: »
    No because they're talking crap. No one can give you an spf until the system has been running in your house for one season at least. Your installation will determine your spf not some rubbish written on a brochure.

COP, s will tell you so much but its how you distribute the heat, at what temp and how its controlled will determine the outcome and spf on an a2w system.

Therefore if the cheaper unit with the lesser cop were installed better it would give you a better end result than the more expensive unit installed badly.

So basically what you're saying is try and get an installer with a proven record rather then comparing HP brochure claims?

So basically what you're saying is try and get an installer with a proven record rather then comparing HP brochure claims?

Exactly. COP's only indicate how efficient a unit is at a certain energy extraction and energy delivery temp. Whether your system works above or below those temps depends on your installer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

http://www.danfoss.com/NR/rdonlyres/90B037DC-428F-4852-BAD9-E701D34519A0/0/DHPAQ_TEST_RESULTS_SE.pdf

This is only posted as it shows a number of heat pumps compared

also see
    http://www.energimyndigheten.se/Hushall/Testerresultat/Testresultat/ and look at "air heat pump"

My chrome browser will automatically translate these pages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Tommyboy08

fclauson wrote: »
    http://www.danfoss.com/NR/rdonlyres/90B037DC-428F-4852-BAD9-E701D34519A0/0/DHPAQ_TEST_RESULTS_SE.pdf

This is only posted as it shows a number of heat pumps compared

also see
    http://www.energimyndigheten.se/Hushall/Testerresultat/Testresultat/ and look at "air heat pump"

My chrome browser will automatically translate these pages

I think its great that companies can put out brochures claiming to be the best and most efficient but on that test there where was oschner, heliotherm, Alphainnotec, idm? I know that at least three of these have higher cops than the Danfoss,
    The results were not spectacular, there was very little between units, I would like to see the tests carried out with the German and Austrian units involved,

Also I would like to see other manufacturers show their test results from the sepimo project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 wilmul80

Hi all I'm new to boards so forgive any mistakes.
    I'm building a house at the moment and leaning towards air to water heating as house is 3400sq ft and I feel oil will rob us . It is well insulated and I'm aiming for airtightness. Has anyone had this system fitted recently . Any feedback is greatly appreciated .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

wilmul80 wrote: »
    Hi all I'm new to boards so forgive any mistakes.
    I'm building a house at the moment and leaning towards air to water heating as house is 3400sq ft and I feel oil will rob us . It is well insulated and I'm aiming for airtightness. Has anyone had this system fitted recently . Any feedback is greatly appreciated .

Did you go with an air to water system in the end ?

Advertisement