Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dropping baffles on Firebird popular.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Wearb wrote: »
    Sorry Scudo. I was being a bit sarcastic.

Sorry also. I only used "effin"in a general sense.
    My design is home made and not up to "EU STANDARDS"

Never ment it to be for you mate, sorry there, your not the first to misunderstand my badly worded replys. I've two BIG left feet !!

It was just to avoid totaly to technical a debate,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

It looks like the saying is true"time is a good healer"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

scudo2 wrote: »
    Sorry also. I only used "effin"in a general sense.
    My design is home made and not up to "EU STANDARDS"

Never ment it to be for you mate, sorry there, your not the first to misunderstand my badly worded replys. I've two BIG left feet !!

It was just to avoid totaly to technical a debate,
    It could be up to EU STANDARD and more efficient

agusta wrote: »
    It looks like the saying is true"time is a good healer"

Stop it, I'm welling up here, it's lovely their getting on and I'm glad I did my little bit to bring them together, it's just a shame I didn't get to ban Shane:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wickedways

scudo
    sounds A great plan and idea Ive a Grant 120 non condensing Boiler and was wondering could I purchase the baffles for mine. Mightily interested in your design. Great thread.
    Thanks
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

:p
    gary71 wrote: »
    Stop it, I'm welling up here, it's lovely their getting on and I'm glad I did my little bit to bring them together, it's just a shame I didn't get to ban Shane:(

you really need to get rid of that cherry gary

a certain mr bunting could do with a break can I be your no1 while hes away:(:(

wickedways wrote: »
    scudo
    sounds A great plan and idea Ive a Grant 120 non condensing Boiler and was wondering could I purchase the baffles for mine. Mightily interested in your design. Great thread.
    Thanks
    :)
    To be honest, Grants design is good. My design is different but not better .just simpler to manufacture. Similar readings and outputs in my humble DIY opinion.

Can I have that €fiver back then.?

jimf wrote: »
    :p

you really need to get rid of that cherry gary

a certain mr bunting could do with a break can I be your no1 while hes away:(:(

Nope, I'm number1 :cool: and both you and Billy are definitely number 2s ;) so I'll let ye decide which one of ye is the biggest number 2

• Advertisement

Can I have that €fiver back then.?

No I'll keep that, it's a shame I haven't banned Shane:( it doesn't mean I won't, give it time, I can wait:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wickedways

@ Scudo
    Thanks man for your reply appreciate your opinion and honesty.
    Happy Christmas To All ....... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

No I'll keep that, it's a shame I haven't banned Shane:( it doesn't mean I won't, give it time, I can wait:D.

I've always wanted to occupy my time with hunting. It's a beautiful sport really. Very rewarding especially when there is some squealing game!

shane0007 wrote: »
    I've always wanted to occupy my time with hunting. It's a beautiful sport really. Very rewarding especially when there is some squealing game!

Just to clarify "I have never, nor will I ever squeal like a pig"

You can take your 70s, banjo playing, dungaree wearing fantasies and jog on.

Also if I ever see you anywhere near me with a bloody banjo and a smile :eek: then that's a instant life time ban, just so you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Diddle ard dar dar dar
    Diddle ard dar dar dar

What's that you saying dar maw? You got somma momma's homemade blueberry pie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

Diddle ard dar dar dar
    Diddle ard dar dar dar

jaysus this place is like waltons mountain

• Advertisement

Diddle ard dar dar dar
    Diddle ard dar dar dar

My prediction for next year is you ain't going to find no right minded person to share your new swimming pool with you, but I would like to see the look on the faces of those innocent "victims" as it dawns on them who really is in hugging distance of them wearing a pair of illegal speedos, errrr......

My prediction for next year is you ain't going to find no right minded person to share your new swimming pool with you, but I would like to see the look on the faces of those innocent "victims" as it dawns on them who really is in hugging distance of them wearing a pair of illegal speedos, errrr......
    I'm baffled !!!!! Ha ha

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

What were you saying about off topic Billy, at least it was about boilers…….not the Shane/Gary love affair………too many brokeback mountain moments for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

DGOBS wrote: »
    What were you saying about off topic Billy, at least it was about boilers…….not the Shane/Gary love affair………too many brokeback mountain moments for me!

My wife has stoped watching fair city and is now following the plumbing and heating on boards as theres much more drama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

We hear ya calm down

• Advertisement

A few mesurements + attempts.
    Horse shoe shape is welded to plate, legs are spacers, horseshoe keeps heat aganst boiler wall for better heat transfer. no heat wasted in the middle. Each horseshoe has a flat plate welded on to it's top, bottom baffle has two plates welded onto it ( top & bottom) making a box shape baffle, this fits into Firebirds bottom bracket providing solid platform for the rest of the baffles to sit on. My mesurements on size ment that existing baffel retainers on boiler did not obstruct my new design. A flat plate ( Baffel plate) is also fitted between baffels and boiler door to act as a heat shield.

Design can also be used on older warmflow and gerkros boilers that have a water panel in the middle, or bigger plates for the 120 Firebird.

I only concertrated on 50-90 Popular as there was so many of them down here. I had to get enough for 50 boilers made at a time to be viable.

I converted well over 320 boilers with this design and not one complaint.

DGOBS has asked to see a set and he'll proberly give his view.

Proberly ban me and patent the idea !:)

Here's a few mesurements for ye if you would like to try them.

My insurance ONLY covered my own instulations by the way.
    But feel free to copy this design and Happy Christmass.
    I'm not joking about the amount of boilers I converted and it was a nice large sideline earner for a while. Costs for one set will be higher to make but I took a chance and use to get enough for 52 boilers at a time, never thinking I'd be reordering so much more. I can get off my brother the most accurate and less waste cuttings out of a 8X4 sheet of 2.5mm if you need to try big volume. ( We don't manafacture any more)
    Double pass baffel 1.jpg
    Double pass baffel 2.jpg

You will need 12 flat plates, 100mm X 235mm, 10 for baffles and 2 as a heat shield on boiler door,
    8 long strips 50mm X 480mm curced to give a side wall to side wall of 55mm ( Aprox)
    50mm hight is critical so as to avoide existing boiler retainer brackets in Firebird.

Sorry, I forgot to add, total measurement end to end is 270mm.

235 plate + 35mm of upright legs.

Only suitable for horizontal flues due to low chimney temp and condensation in vertical flues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Santa arrived today......

Baffles are impressive, well engineered.

Got me thinking Scud, why the 50mm gap between plates, i would imagine dependent on output you could reduce the gap between plates from 50mm to say 40mm and have an extra plate and possibly increase eff further, did you try experimenting ??

Santa arrived today......

Baffles are impressive, well engineered.

Got me thinking Scud, why the 50mm gap between plates, i would imagine dependent on output you could reduce the gap between plates from 50mm to say 40mm and have an extra plate and possibly increase eff further, did you try experimenting ??

Hi Billy, Sorry I hadn't more to spare.

Baffle design had to be a 5 or 7 flat plate arangment to utialise full area of boiler from back wall to front door, draw it out and youll see.
    50mm upright is for an even placing of plates that also avoid the little ledges that were in Firebird for the orignal flat baffles. You do not have this hinderence on a Warmflow boiler. ( But it's a different size )

The other reasion for 50mm is for a number of reasons, enough free air space ( 6 sq/in"+) as to avoide back pressure when boiler fires up. Lack of computer aided design and a small brain.

Out of cueriosty I have played around with a lot of boilers over the years, Unidare, Heatflame crap by Heatmerchants ( only 2 flat plates) Gerkros, old Grant Easy Clean and Warmflow. Only ever done one of each.

I did Firebird on a large scale in 2006-2010 as they were so common down here.
    Clanish loyal Cork plumbers and all that:confused:. I never thought I'd do so many upgrades.

I also gave a money back gaurantee that they would see a major difference in the first night and that they would save at least 30% on fuel in the long run, + that they had 12 months to ask for total moneyback,= service fee + Baffel cost.

Anybody know where the bleeding ABC spellcheck button is ???

Here's a few mesurements for ye if you would like to try them.

My insurance ONLY covered my own instulations by the way.
    But feel free to copy this design and Happy Christmass.
    I'm not joking about the amount of boilers I converted and it was a nice large sideline earner for a while. Costs for one set will be higher to make but I took a chance and use to get enough for 52 boilers at a time, never thinking I'd be reordering so much more. I can get off my brother the most accurate and less waste cuttings out of a 8X4 sheet of 2.5mm if you need to try big volume. ( We don't manafacture any more)
    Double pass baffel 1.jpg
    Double pass baffel 2.jpg

You will need 12 flat plates, 100mm X 235mm, 10 for baffles and 2 as a heat shield on boiler door,
    8 long strips 50mm X 480mm curced to give a side wall to side wall of 55mm ( Aprox)
    50mm hight is critical so as to avoide existing boiler retainer brackets in Firebird.

Sorry, I forgot to add, total measurement end to end is 270mm.

235 plate + 35mm of upright legs.

Only suitable for horizontal flues due to low chimney temp and condensation in vertical flues.

I have re posted the Mesurements of the baffles here. For any party goers who have sobered up.
    Attachment might not come up but its on original post , one or two steps back.

Advertisement