Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank charging for using Paypal. Is that normal?

Options
  • 15-12-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Just going through my UB accounts and I noticed a fee for buying something using Paypal (Irish Paypal a/c). Is this a standard thing with Irish banks? When I lived in the UK I had no such nonsense with NatWest (with a UK Paypal a/c). I'll be asking UB tomorrow but thought I'd ask the knowledgeable Boards first.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Mr Grumpy wrote: »
    Just going through my UB accounts and I noticed a fee for buying something using Paypal (Irish Paypal a/c). Is this a standard thing with Irish banks? When I lived in the UK I had no such nonsense with NatWest (with a UK Paypal a/c). I'll be asking UB tomorrow but thought I'd ask the knowledgeable Boards first.

Thanks

Depends on what the charge was for and what type of card of card it is.

If you did a GBP paypal (or credit card) transaction on a EURO card, you will get an FX fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed, likewise if it were the reverse (an EUR payment being processed by Natwest) there is a fee involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mr Grumpy

It was a UB Visa debit card to pay Euros. No FX involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

What does the description say, and how much was the charge? If it was in Euro then you shouldn't see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Don't paypal do the conversion for you and then charge your card the EUro amount?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Don't paypal do the conversion for you and then charge your card the EUro amount?

Its optional but you're better off letting the bank do the conversion for you as the PayPal rate isnt as good. Even after bank fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Jet Black wrote: »
    Its optional but you're better off letting the bank do the conversion for you as the PayPal rate isnt as good. Even after bank fees.

For small purchases your not, as ulsterbank charge 2% extra (1%fx fee and 1% purchase fee subject to 50c min) on top of the exchange rate so using the paypal exchange rate isn't that bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

donegal11 wrote: »
    For small purchases your not, as ulsterbank charge 2% extra (1%fx fee and 1% purchase fee subject to 50c min) on top of the exchange rate so using the paypal exchange rate isn't that bad
    I thought it was only 1% on the amount with a 30cent minimum when using a debit card?

Advertisement