Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certification

Options
  • 15-12-2013 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

I had my home wired by an electrician who while qualified is not a registered contractor. Obviously he can't cert it so what's my options here? Do I contact either reci or ecssa and request them to inspect and certify? Does the fact that it was wired before October 1st have any bearing on this or is that irrelevant. Time frame involved as well as I need this sorted asap. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

a non-registered contractor could pay ecssa to certify the job up until recently...but that's stopped now

i'd be interested to know the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

a non-registered contractor could pay ecssa to certify the job up until recently...but that's stopped now

Want to know the answer too. Hopefully modding won't prevent this question been answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Want to know the answer too. Hopefully modding won't prevent this question been answered.

why would it?..there has to be an answer

obviously paying a registered guy for a cert is not allowed..that's the whole idea of registration

the registered guy does the work himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

No mention of it been stopped on their website!
    http://www.ecssa.ie/includes/tiny_mce/plugins/filemanager/files/Application_for_Certification.pdf

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have no issues with this being answered.

tomdempsey200 hit the nail on the head with this answer as far as I am concerned:
    (I added bold to the most relevant part)

UrbanFret wrote: »

Regardless of what the above link does or does not say on the 23rd July 2013 the Commission of Energy Regulation (CER) published the decision paper on the Scope of Restricted Electrical Works (CER/13/147). This means that only a Registered Electrical Contractor can carry out or certify electrical work in domestic premises, with the exception of "minor works". These regulations were enacted on 1st October 2013 through the Statutory Instrument Electricity Regulation Act 1999 (Restricted Electrical Works) Regulations 2013. Those found to ignore this may face prosecution.

Minor works are defined on page 11 of this link:
    http://www.cer.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=886952c8-f9c5-4685-b5eb-782f0161b49d

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    I have no issues with this being answered.

tomdempsey200 hit the nail on the head with this answer as far as I am concerned:
    (I added bold to the most relevant part)

Regardless of what the above link does or does not say on the 23rd July 2013 the Commission of Energy Regulation (CER) published the decision paper on the Scope of Restricted Electrical Works (CER/13/147). This means that only a Registered Electrical Contractor can carry out or certify electrical work in domestic premises, with the exception of "minor works". These regulations were enacted on 1st October 2013 through the Statutory Instrument Electricity Regulation Act 1999 (Restricted Electrical Works) Regulations 2013. Those found to ignore this may face prosecution.

Minor works are defined on page 11 of this link:
    http://www.cer.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=886952c8-f9c5-4685-b5eb-782f0161b49d

That's all very well but this house was wired before october 1st so what happens in this case? I didn't have the money to pay the esb for a connection or to complete the house at that stage. It was wired before july 23rd also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

UrbanFret wrote: »
    That's all very well but this house was wired before october 1st so what happens in this case?

If you were to do this by the book the house should be rewired by a registered electrical contractor. Clearly this is not a route that you would be prepared to go down.

I assume that this house was wired as a "nixer"? If that is the case you may find that registered electrical contractors will be reluctant to help as individuals that do this type of work tax free make it difficult for them to stay in business.

If it was my house I would approach a local registered electrical contractor to see what he suggests. Failing that it is a case of contacting RECI or the ECSSA. From my own experience I would expect the ECSSA to be more helpful, sympathetic and practical.

2011 wrote: »
    If you were to do this by the book the house should be rewired by a registered electrical contractor. Clearly this is not a route that you would be prepared to go down.

I assume that this house was wired as a "nixer"? If that is the case you may find that registered electrical contractors will be reluctant to help as individuals that do this type of work tax free make it difficult for them to stay in business.

If it was my house I would approach a local registered electrical contractor to see what he suggests. Failing that it is a case of contacting RECI or the ECSSA. From my own experience I would expect the ECSSA to be more helpful, sympathetic and practical.
    Thanks for that reply.
    According to this part of that article,"The CER has set an enactment date of 1st October 2013 for Restricted Electrical Works"
    I'll ring ecssa and see what they suggest.

Advertisement