Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting an electric shower in a house with an old fuseboard

Options
  • 15-12-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I'm in a house with an old fuseboard (no MCBS, just fuses for each circuit). I want to fit an electric shower in the bathroom (no previous electric shower installed). Would an electrician be happy to install a single RCD for the shower on the old fuseboard, or is it likely that they'll insist on replacing the entire board with an MCB board? I haven't got the cash for the larger job, so the likelihood of an electrician being happy to just fit a new RCD on the old board will decide if the job can go ahead.

Also, is it recommended to use 6sq or 10sq cable for an 8.5kW shower? I'm assuming that it just requires twin+earth cable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

you'd have to get them out to take a look and decide

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 to tomdempsey200
    number_1 wrote: »
    Also, is it recommended to use 6sq or 10sq cable for an 8.5kW shower? I'm assuming that it just requires twin+earth cable.

Depends on the earth fault loop impedance, which generally means that if it is a short length of run a 6sq. will be sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A small separate board just for the shower can be added, if the tails to the existing fuse board are big enough. Its likely if its an old fuse board though, that the tails will be too small.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Not to mention the bonding and the earth rod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

2011 wrote: »
    +1 to tomdempsey200

Depends on the earth fault loop impedance, which generally means that if it is a short length of run a 6sq. will be sufficient.
    I did the electrical and plumbing on 3 bathrooms within the last 2 months, i ran 10sq to 2 of the installations, 6sq did not generally suffice in these two cases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement