Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprouts !

Options
  • 15-12-2013 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is it possible to avail of the amazing prices in Brussel sprouts at the moment and freeze them now for Christmas Day ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

They will be dirt cheap in aldi and lidi closer to Xmas, I've no clue if they freeze tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

They freeze fine. Just remember to blanch them before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

buy....frozen....sprouts.....instead........?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Yes they freeze very well. Prepare them as normal, blanch them quickly for 3-4 minutes and then put them in ice water. They are then ready for freezer bags. You can do this with most of your Christmas veg in advance if you think you'll be stuck for time on the day. God I love sprouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Brussel Sprouts - 9c in Lidl! Amazing! As well as carrots, parsnips and other veg!

They actually last a while I've noticed so they might be ok come Christmas Day even....but I think that offer in Lidl will be on all this week in the run up to the big day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Must be the weather or something, the sprouts I've been buying recently have been really good quality with very little wastage due to manky outer leaves etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Sprouts only 8c in aldi right up to christmas eve!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

amklo wrote: »
    Sprouts only 8c in aldi right up to christmas eve!!

Just saw that earlier! They're better value than Lidl :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dermighty wrote: »
    buy....frozen....sprouts.....instead........?
    Not for 8cent!

I would have thought they would be better off just being left fresh for the week or 2 rather than go through a home freeze cycle, i.e. not being flash frozen like the commercial ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

6c in Dunnes. Got 2 nets in Dunnes, blanched, bagged and frozen. Grand, save a good bit of time prepping them on Christmas Eve/Day

• Advertisement
Advertisement