Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennistymon speed van

• 15-12-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Just on from the bridge heading towards Ennis, there's a white 08-D van parked up on the right. It's a speed camera van. It's nabbing cars there in the 50km zone like fish in a barrel.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

That speed camera van is usually just up from Foley's or O'Dea's Topaz Garage. Always catching people:mad:

The idea is is that own would slow down, thus never get caught. Obviously it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Mr. G wrote: »
    That speed camera van is usually just up from Foley's or O'Dea's Topaz Garage. Always catching people:mad:

The idea is is that own would slow down, thus never get caught. Obviously it works.

Yeah it's a real accident black spot. Thousands of people have been killed or injured on that particular stretch of road :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I got caught in ennistymon and inagh back in the day. I always slow down there now so its worked for me anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You see a checkpoint? Warn a brother:

https://www.facebook.com/GardaCheckpointsClare

1495505_458067407632068_1400088837_a.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Will be checking that out very useful when im down that way,was driving into limerick the other day and i got caught on the near the coonagh place where tesco is just after the roundabout on the condell road.

• Advertisement

Will be checking that out very useful when im down that way,was driving into limerick the other day and i got caught on the near the coonagh place where tesco is just after the roundabout on the condell road.

Sure thing, hope it helps.
    Dat username! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dtlibra

Same as that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

There usually always on that bend. But always have decent drivers to warn Ya.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Yeah on my way out i flashed oncoming drivers with the lights just to let them know somethings coming up,they were on the condell road and also i got caught another time before coonagh before even the radisson roundabout..Watch out for their new spot before the radisson roundabout they are sneaky fuckers trying to catch everybody out..

The thing is its a money making scam,its not like they care or anything,they are not occupying ireland's accident blackspots and are just pulling easy numbers.

If they really did give a hoot like they claim to they would be all over ireland's accident blackspots..

But instead they are on the easy numbers where they know they can catch sitting ducks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Radio5

The van was pretty much living in Lissycasey before Christmas. Not sure what its like there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

I think the driver operator lives in Lissycasey its there so much. I saw it on the Gort rd today parked outside the old Renault
    garage it makes me sick as its exactly what it is a money scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

With a few exceptions, the opinions on this thread make for very depressing reading. Still, no harm to be reminded of the level of reasoning of some drivers!

Balagan wrote: »
    With a few exceptions, the opinions on this thread make for very depressing reading. Still, no harm to be reminded of the level of reasoning of some drivers!

Opinions like sticking speed cameras into locations where they will generate maximum revenue instead of a comprehensive road safety strategy that actually focuses on driver training and proper enforcement of the rules of the road?
    The way road safety works in this country is to slow everyone down where their incomptetence can't kill them, rather than finding ways to overcome this. The very fact that there is no motorway training for learner drivers serves as an indication that there's something seriously wrong with the attitude to driver training right from the start. That and the fact that you can fail your test and drive home.

Balagan wrote: »

The point I am making is they put these vans where they will make the most revenue not stop accidents. The Garda van on the Gort rd parked up outside a
    garage just to catch people coming around a corner easy money. Now this new system on motor ways which are suppose to be the safest place to drive easy money. This is just a new way to collect money and I am talking about people being caught 5k over limit not 20k !!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Radio5

Opinions like sticking speed cameras into locations where they will generate maximum revenue instead of a comprehensive road safety strategy that actually focuses on driver training and proper enforcement of the rules of the road?
    The way road safety works in this country is to slow everyone down where their incomptetence can't kill them, rather than finding ways to overcome this. The very fact that there is no motorway training for learner drivers serves as an indication that there's something seriously wrong with the attitude to driver training right from the start. That and the fact that you can fail your test and drive home.

Agree 100%. It's now simply a money making racket. The resources of the Garda Traffic Corps have been cut so now its a matter of putting the vans in the places that will make the most money in the shortest time.

I obey the speed limits as best I can regardless of where I'm driving and try to be courteous and safe on the road.

I also obey speed limits and I drive for a living. But some times you enter a 50k zone and there around the corner
    is the speed van. If its a Garda he can use his discretion 2 or 3k keep going but you are aware that you were over.But
    our friends in the mobile units show no discretion you are caught and are guilty. By the way I have two points on my
    license I was caught going out the Gort rd and yes I was 12 k over no problem too fast that was 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

blowin3 wrote: »
    By the way I have two points on my
    license I was caught going out the Gort rd and yes I was 12 k over no problem too fast that was 2 years ago.

If you were caught out past the Auburn Lodge the I disagree. The speed limit here is inapropriate for the road. There are no houses and the road is wide and straight. 80 or 100km is appropriate here. Its one of the worst examples of the money making racket that I am aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I can put up with signed speeds that are obviously not related to road safety ...... but what gets my goat is the bad road markings on major roads (not motorways).

The number of times there is a continuous white line AFTER a bend in the road is ridiculous (yes this is where there are two sets of lines in the middle).

I got done a couple of years back for breaking one of those after a bend, with a slow car in front which had held me up for miles, and a clear view of oncoming traffic (if it existed).

During that same journey I saw something in the region of 30 cars break such lines while I traveled behind them.

I guess we all have our pet peeves :D

I can put up with signed speeds that are obviously not related to road safety ...... but what gets my goat is the bad road markings on major roads (not motorways).

The number of times there is a continuous white line AFTER a bend in the road is ridiculous (yes this is where there are two sets of lines in the middle).

I got done a couple of years back for breaking one of those after a bend, with a slow car in front which had held me up for miles, and a clear view of oncoming traffic (if it existed).

During that same journey I saw something in the region of 30 cars break such lines while I traveled behind them.

I guess we all have our pet peeves :D

+1 on the lines and in combination with the hairy-eared, flat cap wearing, Citroen Berlingo driving 60 km/h brigade, nothing is as infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dtlibra

dnme wrote: »
    If you were caught out past the Auburn Lodge the I disagree. The speed limit here is inapropriate for the road. There are no houses and the road is wide and straight. 80 or 100km is appropriate here. Its one of the worst examples of the money making racket that I am aware of.

Section on Gort Road Ennis after Auburn Lodge Hotel towards Galway badly needs to have limit raised from 50 km/h

• Advertisement

dnme wrote: »

I agree . The point I was making was that Garda can use their discretion and
    the Gatso will catch you for 2 k over. I was breaking the law whether I agree or
    not . But there are many more examples of places like that around he county.

Advertisement