Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enda Kenny's Address

• 15-12-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭

Was that a 'hand made silk shirt' he was wearing tonight?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Did he just say might and may instead of night and day???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

damn, i thought you knew where enda kenny lived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Here's the full address by the way. I thought he did a sterling job, or is that euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

It was ok better than expected really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

He said 'might and main', meaning 'with all one's strength'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

sheesh wrote: »
    It was ok better than expected really

Two words of it probably resemble a Barack Obama speech and this will warrant a full-length article and investigation in the Irish Times. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Il Trap wrote: »

Don't know whether he said "might & main" or "might & mane" but he certainly got us searching on Google for what he meant. Aahhh ..... nothing like the common touch.

But whatever about that, his speech was better than I expected (even if what he said was a little condescending at times and even if we had heard a lot of what he said before). Just shows how low our expectations are of our dear leader!

Gratifying to hear the government has a new medium term plan. Will be interesting to hear a bit more detail and, even more interesting (or should I say, painful), to see how it all rolls out over time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

If you have been affected by any of the issues in this program................

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Maybe he just had some oral surgery?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Il Trap wrote: »

Night and day would have rolled better.

Never heard of the other phrase myself, thought he was tongue tied at that point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

How can he have no grey hairs at 62

I would think that was pre-recorded and well rehearsed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I doubt very much that that speech was a live broadcast. Feel free to correct me on that, but if I were a high-ranking FG member, I wouldn't want that buffoon given a live outlet.

He should have ended with the following words...

"Nothing can possib-lie go wrong .... possibly."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Incredibly patronising - it sounded like he was talking to a bunch of first years on their first day in the big school.

If he wants to impress people he should go on Primtime and open himself and his government's record up to some scrutiny. But that'll never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Reminds me of the campaign posters two elections back where his hair was almost jet black.

Definitely pre-recorded. Rehearsed to the point where he had his national school teacher mode spot on,,,,,,,, so he can speak to us all as a class of toddlers.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

323 wrote: »
    Reminds me of the campaign posters two elections back where his hair was almost jet black.

Definitely pre-recorded. Rehearsed to the point where he had his national school teacher mode spot on,,,,,,,, so he can speak to us all as a class of toddlers.

That's that unofficial boards app isn't it?

:( damn... Its so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Jawgap wrote: »
    Incredibly patronising - it sounded like he was talking to a bunch of first years on their first day in the big school.

If he wants to impress people he should go on Primtime and open himself and his government's record up to some scrutiny. But that'll never happen.

If so, he was probably directing it at those who put FF in power for 11 years and caused the enonomic meltdown. People are never happy. We are out from under the Troika, thanks to the Government and us the Irish people, it has to be a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

I didn't see the need for a speech. I am no fan of Enda and was expecting this to be another pr nightmare .

In the end it was inoffensive.

The reaction of Fianna Fail was great though. Sitting around television studios with faces like slapped ars%s waiting to say something for the sake of it.

Even Michael Milf Grath came out of hiding I see. I was wondering when he would reappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

raymon wrote: »
    I didn't see the need for a speech. I am no fan of Enda and was expecting this to be another pr nightmare .

The reaction of Fianna Fail was great though. Sitting around television studios with faces like slapped ars%s waiting to say something for the sake of it.

Even Michael Milf Grath came out of hiding I see. I was wondering when he would reappear.

Here is the streak of misery.

http://m.rte.ie/news/touch/2013/1216/493090-bailout-economy/

raymon wrote: »

Well I guess we can't complain that we were not informed at least. You could never accuse FF of keeping people informed about what was going on.

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    If so, he was probably directing it at those who put FF in power for 11 years and caused the enonomic meltdown. People are never happy. We are out from under the Troika, thanks to the Government and us the Irish people, it has to be a plus.

Probably.

My main problem and I thing I am definitely not happy about is his refusal to be interviewed or speak in situations where his handlers can't control the interviewer or the environment.

He is the Taoiseach. He should be well capable of coming on to any respectable current affairs programme in the country and putting his case (and the case that we're out from under the troika because of his government's actions) and defending it.

The fact that he actively avoids doing so does not reflect well on him as a politician or Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

What was missing was any thing practicable i.e. we are going to introduce legislation to penalize certain banking practices, those who brought us to this will be brought to account etc..

Summary: "Bend over and continue to take your medicine".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Freddie Dodge

Party political broadcast on behalf of FG imo. Shameful misuse of Taoiseach's privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭grainnewhale

Why would people give a **** about being under the troika. For most people nothing will change. The government and their cronies will still get overpaid, and the gob****es will get overtaxed to pay for it.
    If one more person talks about economic sovereignty, well we gave that away when we joined the E.E.C.

Why would people give a **** about being under the troika. For most people nothing will change. The government and their cronies will still get overpaid, and the gob****es will get overtaxed to pay for it.
    If one more person talks about economic sovereignty, well we gave that away when we joined the E.E.C.

The alternative for us was what? We were/ are not a big nation, with a huge economy, with a vulnerable currency at the time, ie the punt. Think of all the benefits we gained from the EU as well.

The alternative for us was what? We were/ are not a big nation, with a huge economy, with a vulnerable currency at the time, ie the punt. Think of all the benefits we gained from the EU as well.

I think the point is that when it came down to negotiating the bailout, we didn't play our hand very well.

Furthermore, for all their rhetoric FG and Labour have been every bit as acquiescent as FF were - they talked a good game but when it came down to it they were no better nor no worse than the government they replaced.

If anything, we should be proud of two things - first that despite the gombeen leadership shown by FF, FG and Labour we didn't wreck the place the way the Greeks did - we grumbled, we bitched, we moaned, but at least we had the good sense to realise that rioting and attacking our fellow citizens wasn't going to get us anywhere.

Second, we've made exceptionally good use of the ballot box to punish FF in the first place and rein in some of the more centralising tendencies of this government.

Enda, the government and the TDs deserve no more credit for that than does anyone who used their vote and stayed within the lawful processes - in fact if they (the politicians) were a bit more empathetic they might be able to claim credit for keeping things going - as it is their constant posturing and thinly veiled political theatre is just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cinel Moen

He said something like ''we'll exit the bailout tonight" or something like that.

I though we would have exited it at midnight on Sunday.

Just for the record, anyone know what time we formally exited it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

That's that unofficial boards app isn't it?

:( damn... Its so annoying

Indeed...It was

Post deleted. and app deleted from phone

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Well I guess we can't complain that we were not informed at least. You could never accuse FF of keeping people informed about what was going on.
    Probably.

My main problem and I thing I am definitely not happy about is his refusal to be interviewed or speak in situations where his handlers can't control the interviewer or the environment.

He is the Taoiseach. He should be well capable of coming on to any respectable current affairs programme in the country and putting his case (and the case that we're out from under the troika because of his government's actions) and defending it.

The fact that he actively avoids doing so does not reflect well on him as a politician or Taoiseach.

i could only manage to watch 16 seconds of it before i wanted to laugh/cry/puke in me mouth and break my screen into many tiny pieces all at the same time, and could tell it wasn't going to be live recording!! such a slimy little fecker our edna

if we decided he had to take part in a debate or get the fcuk out of the position of LEADER of our Country watch and see how quick it happens or he retires, one way or another he should be forced to make a move, this idea that by leaving them all to it they'll somehow come round to actually doing something productive would be funny if the issues were so fcuking serious!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

i could only manage to watch 16 seconds of it before i wanted to laugh/cry/puke in me mouth and break my screen into many tiny pieces all at the same time, and could tell it wasn't going to be live recording!! such a slimy little fecker our edna

But you didn't. If you only watched 16 seconds, as you claim, how exactly can you comment on how well he did? You can't judge him by the first 16 seconds. He isn't a sales person you know.
    if we decided he had to take part in a debate or get the fcuk out of the position of LEADER of our Country watch and see how quick it happens or he retires, one way or another he should be forced to make a move, this idea that by leaving them all to it they'll somehow come round to actually doing something productive would be funny if the issues were so fcuking serious!!!!!!

As I am sure a well educated person like yourself is aware, its not common for the Taoiseach of our country to take part in public debates. What I find very amusing is that people bemoan him for not getting into debates, which is the norm for that role, but people still bemoan him when he goes out and does more state of the nation addresses than the norm. Its completely hypocritical and proves that people will never be happy. People bemoaned Cowen for not communicating and bemoaned Kenny for not being a great communicator, but when he makes an effort you're still up in arms!

The world and its mother knows that Kenny, who has done public debates in the past, wouldn't resign if he was 'forced' into a debate.

Finally, the world and its mother can see this government has been productive. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Sully wrote: »
    But you didn't. If you only watched 16 seconds, as you claim, how exactly can you comment on how well he did? You can't judge him by the first 16 seconds. He isn't a sales person you know.

As I am sure a well educated person like yourself is aware, its not common for the Taoiseach of our country to take part in public debates. What I find very amusing is that people bemoan him for not getting into debates, which is the norm for that role, but people still bemoan him when he goes out and does more state of the nation addresses than the norm. Its completely hypocritical and proves that people will never be happy. People bemoaned Cowen for not communicating and bemoaned Kenny for not being a great communicator, but when he makes an effort you're still up in arms!

The world and its mother knows that Kenny, who has done public debates in the past, wouldn't resign if he was 'forced' into a debate.

Finally, the world and its mother can see this government has been productive. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

What point was his state of the nation address. He didn't say anything specific, just vague waffle. Does he really think the people of Ireland are stupid enough to accept this waffle. the level of this goverments arrogance is unsurpassed by anything that has gone before. It is offence.

What price did we pay for these alleged benfits. My point was more to do with this misconception being peddled that we have ever had economic sovereignty since joining the e.u.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Gosh... Mr Martin's speech just now.
    You'd swear it wasn't his fault.
    Butter wouldn't melt.

He believes in constructive opposition he says...

• Site Banned Posts: 7 Barry Garlow 55

Is he still looking to burn the bondholders?!?

whitebriar wrote: »
    Gosh... Mr Martin's speech just now.
    You'd swear it wasn't his fault.
    Butter wouldn't melt.

He believes in constructive opposition he says...

Just thinking how constructive labour were in opposition. Jesus you couldn't shut Gilmore up. Little did he know, getting into government would finish his party. Although in fairness I don't think he cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Agree, just sounded like a condescending pat on the back. Aren't ye great etc.

New Moon

Sully wrote: »

I think you're right - the Taoiseach shouldn't be getting into debates outside the Dail in the absence of an election being called.

However, I'm not looking for him to get 'down 'n' dirty' with other politicians or to run townhall style meetings - what I would like to see the Taoiseach do is make himself available for interview by the country's serious political correspondents - that's not debate, that's scrutiny and its the essence of democracy particularly in our Republic where the Dail is a failure when it comes to exercising oversight of the executive.

Why not extend to one of the national newspapers or one of the Sundays the same courtesy he extended to Time magazine? Maybe he can then win the journos (and us) over with his "endearing" and "slightly childlike quality" - then we can all agree how 'sweet' he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

It was exactly as I would have expected - partly a political broadcast and partly an outline of a very high level strategy which is aspirational, at best, and should be taken as that. Anyone who bases their voting intentions on these things really need to have a word with themselves.

In his defence, at least he didn't appear on the national airwaves drunk, like his predecessor did or doesn't feel the need to go on "Premiership Live" with Eamonn Dunphy like his predecessor's predecessor. Bertie's reign was like "I'm a celebrity, get me on camera" while they were flushing the country down the dirt-chute where it really mattered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Why not extend to one of the national newspapers or one of the Sundays the same courtesy he extended to Time magazine? Maybe he can then win the journos (and us) over with his "endearing" and "slightly childlike quality" - then we can all agree how 'sweet' he is.

and he'll rather shamelessly break into a song with Hildegarde in the middle of Eyre Sq when it suits his political agenda, apparently randomly too which was quite funny if ya know the way these bastards work the crowds, funkin eejit of a man full stop. Loads in eyre sq that evening walked away shaking their heads at his patronizing attitude to us all, talking to us all like we were all 5 year olds was sickening to say the least!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

His address to the nation has now been followed by his "Christmas Message" - he seems to have taken to this kind of thing:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/enda-kenny-christmas-message-2013-1237105-Dec2013/?utm_source=facebook_short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭creedp

golfwallah wrote: »
    His address to the nation has now been followed by his "Christmas Message" - he seems to have taken to this kind of thing:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/enda-kenny-christmas-message-2013-1237105-Dec2013/?utm_source=facebook_short

Best thing to do with that link is not click.

Advertisement