Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying chainsaw abroad

• 15-12-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking to buy a Stihl ms261 chainsaw.
    Looking at the prices they are a good half price in the US compared to here.
    If I was to buy one and get a mate to post it here would anyone know what is the story with customs etc?
    Haven't a clue how that would work, any advice appreciated.

If you are not allowed to discuss things like this on boards then please delete:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

it has to be shipped in a containor , a friend of mine tried to bring one home on a plane and it didnt work as they found traces of petrol from it , the engine was run for a few moments after being manufactored and the petrol could be found , i really dont think its worth the hasslse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭kay 9

What about buying in the UK? Has to be a husky, stihl won't sell online anymore. Personally think the 550xp is better anyway. Faster, lighter, more nimble and even looks better.. Easier to return to UK on guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

kay 9 wrote: »
    What about buying in the UK? Has to be a husky, stihl won't sell online anymore. Personally think the 550xp is better anyway. Faster, lighter, more nimble and even looks better.. Easier to return to UK on guarantee.

I think you'll find that husky have an online sales policy as well, although theirs might still state that if you are certificated then you can buy from a distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Hi all,
    If I was to buy one and get a mate to post it here would anyone know what is the story with customs etc?

If you are not allowed to discuss things like this on boards then please delete:confused:
    I import and export saws small scale and have no issues what so ever, customs wont have an issues with it, just package the saw well and there will be no issues what so ever. Good saw the ms261 a nice little screamer. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Hi all,

Bought a stihl before on eBay in the us
    Brand new. The fella couried it to me around 40 dollars I think. No probs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Be careful buying from outside the EU you could be landed with a hefty customs bill which might make any saving disapear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Be careful buying from outside the EU you could be landed with a hefty customs bill which might make any saving disapear

21% of the cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

big danger is that it wouldnt be CE marked. If you hand it to an employee and they have an accident your screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

reilig wrote: »
    21% of the cost

21% of the equivalent cost/msrp in Ireland, or the declared value?

Advertisement