Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor key switch wiring

Options
  • 15-12-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Folks,

I have a seperate garage that was broken into recently so I'm trying to secure it. It has a roller shutter and a side door. My plan is to seal up the side door and install a key switch for the roller shutter and use this as the main entrance. It was previously only openable from the inside.

Figured out the wiring and installed the switch and then had the thought - What if some toe rag just cuts the wire and manages to connect the correct wires together, will the shutter just open ?

It's not possible to conceal the wire in this installation.

Any help greatly appreciated.

mh

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Microheavy wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I have a seperate garage that was broken into recently so I'm trying to secure it. It has a roller shutter and a side door. My plan is to seal up the side door and install a key switch for the roller shutter and use this as the main entrance. It was previously only openable from the inside.

Figured out the wiring and installed the switch and then had the thought - What if some toe rag just cuts the wire and manages to connect the correct wires together, will the shutter just open ?

It's not possible to conceal the wire in this installation.

Any help greatly appreciated.

mh

Can you have the switch in the house or hidden somewhere?
    Otherwise you could have a remote control unit (key fob).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Microheavy

Thanks 2011

I did originally want to go the route of remote but was talked out of it on safety reasons. It's not a standard garage door, it's more of a commercial type shutter and the point was that the remote fob would make it close all the way once it's pressed which presents the danger to kids etc.

Wife was too worried about it.

I'll just have to try to hide it but I was wondering if it would be simple for the thieves to hot wire it essentially.

Thanks
    mh

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

Thanks 2011

I did originally want to go the route of remote but was talked out of it on safety reasons. It's not a standard garage door, it's more of a commercial type shutter and the point was that the remote fob would make it close all the way once it's pressed which presents the danger to kids etc.

Wife was too worried about it.

I'll just have to try to hide it but I was wondering if it would be simple for the thieves to hot wire it essentially.

Thanks
    mh

All you need to do is install a sensor beam that will raise the door back up if the beam is broken while it is closing. Exact same as any electric gate or barrier has that make them open again if you drive in front of them while closing. This way you could have a remote fob to operate the door.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'll just have to try to hide it but I was wondering if it would be simple for the thieves to hot wire it essentially

The typical roller shutter door type key switch is designed so that it cannot be opened when it is the "locked" position. So for someone to hotwire it they would need to break the unit itself and they are reasonably robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

Use remote, reciver you can hide inside ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Microheavy

Thanks a million guys

I'll have another look into the automation as it does sound like the best bet..

Advertisement