Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A repeat leaving cert student in dire need of constructive advice for the future.

Options
  • 15-12-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm a repeat leaving cert student who, given certain circumstances and very very little work, did reasonably well in last years exams. I received 325 points and I knew that I'd have to repeat as I have the potential to achieve much, much more! I was absolutely dying to get to college last year but this year I have no motivation to do any study whatsoever, I have lost all interest in my subjects and I have also lost all interest in going to college next year. This is where I need some guidance. The 'study life' doesn't suit me at all but in my opinion I am intelligent and I have bucketfuls of common sense. I have no self-confidence, self-worth, belief in myself etc. Where does that get me in the education system? Nowhere. I want nothing more than to make something of myself and aim high, make my own money and be independent, but it's proving very difficult for me. I'm asking what I should do, should I stick it out and try college? Any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated as I'm pretty fed up of feeling this way. I have trolled through Qualifax and CareersPortal but nothing has caught my eye to be honest. Oh, life. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

hi,
    i'll start by saying that nothing strikes me as abnormal from your post. It is a difficult phase to go through and I think you should focus on what makes you happy.. it strikes me that your mood is low and while your mood is low you'll have a pessimistic view on things, take some time to do something you enjoy, lift your mood and write a list of five of your strengths..from there you might be able to identify a suitable goal.
    However you need to remember that whatever you end up doing with it will come at a price...be it hard work, the acquisition of qualifications and competing in the work force etc.
    Not having skills and education on your cv can leave you in a worse situation than you are currently in...unemployed, or dissatisfied with your job etc.
    Don't expect to be where you want to be in the next few years...it can take years to develop your skill set and/or education and find a job or way to apply your skills and interests so they culminate in having job satisfaction.
    The LC can be very unsuitable for people (me included). I left and returned a few years later...I went on to third level and it was much more enjoyable and fitting for me. Dont let the LC put you off...

Advertisement