Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Defense For Women ???

• 15-12-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47

Hey Guys

Just wondering can anyone recommend somewhere in Laois ( ideally Portlaoise/Portarlington) that offers self defense classes for women ??

Appreciate any feedback :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

theme song wrote: »

Hey Guys

Just wondering can anyone recommend somewhere in Laois ( ideally Portlaoise/Portarlington) that offers self defense classes for women ??

Appreciate any feedback :D

Try john ging. His place beside mcdonalds Portlaoise called the gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 collie74

https://m.facebook.com/PortlaoiseLeisureCentre?id=368068376551427&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPortlaoiseLeisureCentre

Beginners materials arts class starts 6th January 2014 at the portlaoise leisure centre .... €6 per class

Heard good things about that one down by McD's too though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

You should be strictly looking for self-defence classes and not simply martial arts. A world of a difference in approach.

There was a guy teaching Krav Maga in Portarlington. There was thread here last year in the Laois forum. In self-defence, you use any and all techniques / tools to get a result. Some martial arts would be a bit sniffy about that. e.g I carry a tactical torch at almost all times. I won't go into its uses here; but they are multiple.

Whoever you go with, if they are not teaching you awareness, self-control etc, and only martial arts techniques, they are walking you into even more danger than when blissfully unaware of martial arts. A streetfight takes 30 seconds to 2 minutes maybe. An attack / sexual assault is as good as over in 30 seconds if you over-think it instead of reacting in a rehearsed way (not necessarily attack techniques, mostly taking control of yourself and the situation). You need someone with a good practical head on their shoulders to teach you; not some 'wax on, wax off' wannabee.

Stay safe and Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

An Ri rua wrote: »

You need someone with a good practical head on their shoulders to teach you; not some 'wax on, wax off' wannabee.

its fairly clear you have no idea what is learned there. you should maybe call down to the gym in portlaoise (tuatha de danann) before judging , you'll not be long finding out if what is shown there is "wax on wax off" by some "wannabe" or if its practicle .

Kieran81 wrote: »
    its fairly clear you have no idea what is learned there. you should maybe call down to the gym in portlaoise (tuatha de danann) before judging , you'll not be long finding out if what is shown there is "wax on wax off" by some "wannabe" or if its practicle .

Double post. Sorry

• Advertisement

Kieran81 wrote: »

I wasn't casting aspersions on that gym or school in particular? Cop on. I DO have no idea what is 'taught' there but I wasn't talking about any one gym, school or code. I'm saying that martial arts schools with a sports / competition / mma bent are not somewhere to learn practical self-defence. Self-defence is simpler than that. It has to be. Its being taught to part-timers; not someone dedicated to a few nights a week.

If you can get Krav Maga in Portlaoise or Portarlington, its what you want http://www.adverts.ie/tuition-classes/krav-maga-beginner-course/4441467

In my opinion.

I wasn't casting aspersions on that gym or school in particular? Cop on. I DO have no idea what is 'taught' there but I wasn't talking about any one gym, school or code. I'm saying that martial arts schools with a sports / competition / mma bent are not somewhere to learn practical self-defence. Self-defence is simpler than that. It has to be. Its being taught to part-timers; not someone dedicated to a few nights a week.

If you can get Krav Maga in Portlaoise or Portarlington, its what you want http://www.adverts.ie/tuition-classes/krav-maga-beginner-course/4441467

In my opinion.

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it.
    I myself was never a fan of self defence classes where your trying mostly unrealistic moves on a willing partner. Try bjj class, kick boxing or mma where your opponent and yourself are going at it( within reason ). You earn your submission because you get the better of your opponent in training.. It's as realistic as you can get and in my opinion the best form of self defense

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It's your opinion and you're entitled to it.
    I myself was never a fan of self defence classes where your trying mostly unrealistic moves on a willing partner. Try bjj class, kick boxing or mma where your opponent and yourself are going at it( within reason ). You earn your submission because you get the better of your opponent in training.. It's as realistic as you can get and in my opinion the best form of self defense

You've just described Krav Maga training.....

So in essence we're in agreement. And I shouldn't include MMA in my broad sweep of course. But strict styles are nonsense. Krav maga, Jeet Kune Do or MMA, take your pick but that is the route to freestyle effective fighting. But you're still missing something @Dtp1979. You talk about combat and submission. That is NEVER the intention of self-defence?? Its flee or defend (attack) then escape. Not gain submission? Self defence is 1. awareness, 2. self-control when the attack happens (so that you stay in charge) and 3. strike and flee. NOT COMBAT. An amateur needs to learn state of mind, not combat !! State of mind does not come from MMA classes.

You've just described Krav Maga training.....

So in essence we're in agreement. And I shouldn't include MMA in my broad sweep of course. But strict styles are nonsense. Krav maga, Jeet Kune Do or MMA, take your pick but that is the route to freestyle effective fighting. But you're still missing something @Dtp1979. You talk about combat and submission. That is NEVER the intention of self-defence?? Its flee or defend (attack) then escape. Not gain submission? Self defence is 1. awareness, 2. self-control when the attack happens (so that you stay in charge) and 3. strike and flee. NOT COMBAT. An amateur needs to learn state of mind, not combat !! State of mind does not come from MMA classes.

Your last 3 points make sense but they are a strategy for a given style. If someone was to attack me and take me to the ground, I wouldn't flee, I would choke him or hopefully take his arm home with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 theme song

Guys

Thanks for all the advice & feedback, I work with a few Taekwondo lads ( am sports massage therapist) & that has spiked my interest in learning self defense skills. Also had a unwanted approach from a male recently , thankfully what the TKD guys do gave me the skills to get out of a situation fast before reporting the incident.

I have tried kick boxing before , but didn't enjoy the course at all. I am looking to gain skills so that I can defend myself should I need it again , I thought I was strong as I work with racehorses part time , but strength didn't really help me , it was mind over matter thing.

Will look into the Krav Maga , thank you again . Hope ye all have a Merry & safe Christmas :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

carry a can of pepper spray a shot of that wil stop any thing or a good kick in the c&&k wil sort em out

carry a can of pepper spray a shot of that wil stop any thing or a good kick in the c&&k wil sort em out

Fcukin rite!!

Advertisement