Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall potted tree for urban garden

• 15-12-2013 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We've got a standard housing estate garden and over our back wall, theres a bit of an eyesore in the next garden. We'd like to put a potted tree at the back wall so that it'll break the view of the building behind.

Can anyone suggest a type of tree that would grow well in a big pot, that would stretch up 10ft when we've bought it.. (Can you buy a potted mature tree?)

I don't want it to flow over the wall and cause the household behind any bother. It needs to stand on decking also.

Does any kind of tree tick all the boxes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi all,

We've got a standard housing estate garden and over our back wall, theres a bit of an eyesore in the next garden. We'd like to put a potted tree at the back wall so that it'll break the view of the building behind.

Can anyone suggest a type of tree that would grow well in a big pot, that would stretch up 10ft when we've bought it.. (Can you buy a potted mature tree?)

I don't want it to flow over the wall and cause the household behind any bother. It needs to stand on decking also.

Does any kind of tree tick all the boxes?

What you outline is a very common requirement and they're are several options readily available to provide an upright and immediate result. However much will depend on site aspect, style preferences, budget and your willingness to maintain the planted tree (or mature shrub). You will also need to carefully consider the planter including the material, the last thing you want is a container which will crack, rot or cause problems for the deck. A large planter will be a considerable weight, are you confident that the deck is capable?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭space2ground1

What you outline is a very common requirement and they're are several options readily available to provide an upright and immediate result. However much will depend on site aspect, style preferences, budget and your willingness to maintain the planted tree (or mature shrub). You will also need to carefully consider the planter including the material, the last thing you want is a container which will crack, rot or cause problems for the deck. A large planter will be a considerable weight, are you confident that the deck is capable?

Yeah the deck is relatively new and its very solid. I'd prefer an easy tree to maintain also. Are there common varieties that I could google and have a think about? The planter would be close to the wall. I havent the slightest clue on how something like that would cost at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

Yeah the deck is relatively new and its very solid. I'd prefer an easy tree to maintain also. Are there common varieties that I could google and have a think about? The planter would be close to the wall. I havent the slightest clue on how something like that would cost at all!

Something like a photinia' red robin'. You can get these off the peg at various sizes to suit budget. But remember any plants in pots need frequent watering.where are u based.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A lot of trees tend to 'sulk' in pots, is there any possibility you could plant in the ground below the decking and allow it to come through - like you see in public areas? (Yes, I know :-) new decking, making a hole in it...) It would give you more scope and the tree would be much happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭space2ground1

The ground quality is really poor and the drainage is pathetic. I wonder would the tree do well in that kind of ground. The thoughts of tearing the deck up make me sick and I doubt I'd get a pass for such things from her highness :D Based in the South!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I have grown loads of trees in pots and most do allright if maintained, like putting a large tray under the pot to ensure that water is always available and every 2 years or so trim the root ball and pot up. But it is not a long term solution as growth is restricted. It may be better to go along the lines of something like a tallish Bamboo (black maby) in a very large pot.

Cutting a hole in the deck and planting may be the best thing in the long run or a more permanent fixture like trellis and grow an evergreen climber up it.

Advertisement