Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to MS SQl on Host

Options
  • 16-12-2013 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help and point me in right direction
    A friend of mine has asked me to take a look at his website, more speficially to look at the data for him.
    He has a basic Windows hosting package on Shared Hosting (with a MS SQL Database behind the scenes)
    (Usual shared setup Parrells Control Panel and MylittleAdmin for MSSQL etc.)

I can access the database via MyLittleAdmin no problem run querys take backups etc.
    I have tried to access this database externally so I can schedule an extraction or update back to it (say from a local SQL Management Studio to the hosted database - like a sql linked server)
    I have attempted different connections using the Server Name mssql.host.com and connection string similar to this
    [HTML]Data Source=000.00.0.00;Initial Catalog=databasename;Integrated Security=False;User ID=username;Encrypt=False[/HTML]
    But with no luck
    Has anyone got anything like this working or can anyone suggest what would be the best route to approach this

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Talisman

Do the hosting company allow direct access to the database server for external connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Snookered

Thanks for the reply Talisman
    I have just received an answer back on this and it appears they do not allow external SQL Connections unless your on a VPS
    So a linked server is out of the question

Does that mean automating a process will not be possible, that it will have to be manual?
    The only alternative I can see at the moment is to create a small web app for a user to log on and run an upload or something along those lines

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Talisman

MS SQL Server and shared hosting is a bad combination, however with a bit of imagination you can achieve your goal.

You could automate the process by using a tool like Selenium. Selenium IDE is a browser plugin which allows you to record browser interactions. This would allow you to record a session which could later be replayed.
    Example: Selenium IDE - Create a login script
    The script can be exported so it can be run later without the need for the browser, this will allow you to automate the process with a tool like Jenkins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You could either write a simple web service that dumps the data you need out via XML/JSON etc, or possibly use some server side code that lets you call a page and triggers an export/backup and returns the resulting file to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

stevenmu wrote: »
    or possibly use some server side code that lets you call a page and triggers an export/backup and returns the resulting file to you.

This is how I would approach it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement