Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

JPA wrote: »
    The sample size is his whole Newcastle career.
    When he plays I'm sure Newcastle have better possession and as a result concede less, I don't think it's unrelated.

19 games without him is pretty small. I wouldn't take it too seriously tbh. The fact that they decided to include both win rate and loss rate (lol) in their graphic kind of suggests to me they were reaching a bit.

What was the difference in possession % out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Newcastle are undoubtedly a poorer side without Cabaye but I seriously doubt any one player from any PL side could double their sides chances of winning a football match, ever.

Those win % comparisons are essentially useless, there are just way too many other variables at play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Blatter wrote: »
    Newcastle are undoubtedly a poorer side without Cabaye but I seriously doubt any one player from any PL side could double their sides chances of winning a football match, ever.

Those win % comparisons are essentially useless, there are just way too many other variables at play.

There's a good one about Barcelona being better off without Xavi by means of dismissing this type of stat, James Grayson had good craic deriding the analysis:

http://jameswgrayson.wordpress.com/2012/05/23/are-barcelona-really-worse-off-when-xavi-plays/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

keane2097 wrote: »
    There's a good one about Barcelona being better off without Xavi by means of dismissing this type of stat, James Grayson had good craic deriding the analysis:

http://jameswgrayson.wordpress.com/2012/05/23/are-barcelona-really-worse-off-when-xavi-plays/

Another one that stands out is the time Gareth Bale played 25 league games for Spurs before winning a game.

An extraordinary statistic but there is no way any sane person could attribute a large % of blame towards Bale for it happening.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Taarabt going to AC Milan (Yes that Taarabt)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

deal is done.

65396.jpg

52037.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

**** everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Agueroooo wrote: »

Incomprehensible move for a mediocre player in a position that is already totally overcrowded. Embarrassing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Looks like the powerpoint presentation they'll have to give Ibrahimovic & Thiago Silva to convince them not to throw the toys out of the pram!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Blatter wrote: »
    Another one that stands out is the time Gareth Bale played 25 league games for Spurs before winning a game.

An extraordinary statistic but there is no way any sane person could attribute a large % of blame towards Bale for it happening.

Bale was playing left back back in those days. his defending was not a priority.
    lies damn lies and statistics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Scocco has signed for Sunderland, announced tomorrow.

BfKwH7CCAAAAjl4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Finally I said he would end up at Milan or Madrid when he was tearing up the Championship :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Not too sure about that one. The report I saw spoke of a deal between Milan and Fulham. Eh, he's not Fulham's to sell!!

EDIT: Looks like it's happening all right. 'Arry must have given the go-ahead. Apparently he's in Italy for a medical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wolves sign Leon Clarke from Coventry, so he goes "back home", also the League One joint top scorer so that really ought to see Wolves get promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

BfO3d2NCYAE1rpx.jpg

Who's up for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Freddy Adu on trial at Blackpool apparently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Freddy Adu on trial at Blackpool apparently!

The best player in the world.....

...according to Championship Manager 1999 (i think it was this year)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Holtby just gone to Fulham ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

brevity wrote: »
    BfO3d2NCYAE1rpx.jpg

Who's up for it?

Yhere should be a slot for "Liverpool" and "Spurs in the same sentence.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

BfO3d2NCYAE1rpx.jpg

Who's up for it?

I'm willing to bet that card will be filled up by 1pm :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I originally thought it was a drinking game, would be some laugh if I was a little bit younger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ah Deadline day, the day where usually nothing happens, when sky make you think a deal is going to the wire when in reality it was sealed hours ago, when we watch a fully grown man cream himself over a late transfer at Hartlepool, where some journeyman joins his 10th club that no one cares about and a big deal is made of it.

Yet we can't seem to keep our eyes off it.

rob316 wrote: »
    Ah Deadline day, the day where usually nothing happens, when sky make you think a deal is going to the wire when in reality it was sealed hours ago, when we watch a fully grown man cream himself over a late transfer at Hartlepool, where some journeyman joins his 10th club that no one cares about and a big deal is made of it.

Yet we can't seem to keep our eyes off it.

HUGE transfer news coming in just now as ROBBIE KEANE has just signed a loan deal for 3 MONTHS with CARDIFF CITY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Sacramento wrote: »
    HUGE transfer news coming in just now as ROBBIE KEANE has just signed a loan deal for 3 MONTHS with CARDIFF CITY!

Sure its always been a dream of his to live and play in Wales:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Hernanes has been pictured today leaving the Lazio training ground in tears. Looks like that move to inter may be on the cards so
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet that card will be filled up by 1pm :pac:

Surely missing mention of someone hijacking a deal...mention of the 11th hour also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I originally thought it was a drinking game, would be some laugh if I was a little bit younger!

HaHa Any excuse brevity eh? :P

Liam Bridcutt to Sunderland from Brighton is done and dusted, £2.5m. Can't say I know much about him but he sits in front of the back four and is supposedly someone who will keep the ball all day long.

Any of those who have watched the Championship more over the last few years give an opinion on him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Anderson Hernandes in tears leaving Lazio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Stargate wrote: »

Feel bad for the lad :(

Anyone able to translate what the fans are saying to him please?

What a class act, obviously loves playing there, must be like Lamela club needs money or something similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Paully D wrote: »
    Anyone able to translate what the fans are saying to him please?
    They were begging him not to leave and taking pictures with his. When he started crying they started telling him it wasn't his fault and he started crying more.

Link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

astonaidan wrote: »
    What a class act, obviously loves playing there, must be like Lamela club needs money or something similar

Wheres he going too?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Wheres he going too?
    Inter I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Wheres he going too?
    Supposedly Inter but nowhere if you believe Lazio director Igli Tare
    “Hernanes? We made our proposal for a contract renewal, now it’s up to him to choose,” Tare told Sky Sport Italia as he arrived in Milan.

“We have not reached a deal with Inter. Are we close? No.”
    I don't think I want him to join either, not exactly the most consistent player and we already have Guarin so can't afford to play both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

What a class man, players like that are hard to come by these days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Liam Bridcutt to Sunderland from Brighton is done and dusted, £2.5m. Can't say I know much about him but he sits in front of the back four and is supposedly someone who will keep the ball all day long.

Any of those who have watched the Championship more over the last few years give an opinion on him?

Saw him play at the City Ground against Forest last season. Him and Andrea Orlandi both stood out, comfortable on the ball and did the simple things well. Nothing went through him. He actually managed to subdue Andy Reid a bit which isn't easy to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

dor83 wrote: »
    Supposedly Inter but nowhere if you believe Lazio director Igli Tare I don't think I want him to join either, not exactly the most consistent player and we already have Guarin so can't afford to play both.

I'd love him at Inter. Far superior to Guarin, in that he can pass the ball. Immediate improvement.

I'd love him at Inter. Far superior to Guarin, in that he can pass the ball. Immediate improvement.
    I agree that he is better than Guarin but I can't see him moving and don't think you can afford to have both in the same team.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    Saw him play at the City Ground against Forest last season. Him and Andrea Orlandi both stood out, comfortable on the ball and did the simple things well. Nothing went through him. He actually managed to subdue Andy Reid a bit which isn't easy to do!

Cheers mate.

Brighton fans seem to think we've got a bit of a steal getting him in for the price we paid. He looks to be very much Poyet's type of player in that he's comfortable on the ball and won't give it away. Frees Ki up to play a bit further forward too where he has been most effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Shall I do the honours?

23 HOURS TO GO! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Cheers mate.

Brighton fans seem to think we've got a bit of a steal getting him in for the price we paid. He looks to be very much Poyet's type of player in that he's comfortable on the ball and won't give it away. Frees Ki up to play a bit further forward too where he has been most effective.

Think it might mean Cattermole moves on tomorrow?

Ki is class, but I think he himself prefers coming out of a defensive role with the ball, he lacks that killer final third ball for me and won't score many goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don't like Garth Brooks or Jim White and I've felt utterly alone over the last 24 hours.

Think it might mean Cattermole moves on tomorrow?

Ki is class, but I think he himself prefers coming out of a defensive role with the ball, he lacks that killer final third ball for me and won't score many goals.

Aye, it could but I think/hope he stays.

Poyet has said he doesn't want to ''give any favours'' to rivals and Stoke seem to be the only ones interested. Last night showed that Cattermole would make Stoke more effective by pushing them up the field a lot quicker than they are at the minute and the last thing we want to do is make our relegation rivals a stronger side. The Guardian are running with the following:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/30/sunderland-lee-cattermole-liam-bridcutt-stoke-city-brighton
    Lee Cattermole will not be sold by Sunderland this month after all. Stoke City had been keen to sign the combative midfielder but, quite apart from very possibly needing Cattermole in the club's fight against relegation, Gus Poyet is unwilling to sell him to a rival near the bottom of the Premier League.
    Cattermole Bridcutt

Ki

Johnson
    Borini

Scocco

I think the above could be very, very promising. Good protection for the back four, a top distributor of the football in Ki, pace and trickery out wide and I know little about Scocco but have been reliably informed by those more knowledgeable of him that despite being far from a stereotypical Premier League lone striker, he can play that role.

We could even take Cattermole out, play Scocco a little bit further back towards midfield with Altidore the lone striker. If Altidore plays like he did last night he would be an asset every game. It was his best game by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Aye, it could but I think/hope he stays.

Poyet has said he doesn't want to ''give any favours'' to rivals and Stoke seem to be the only ones interested. Last night showed that Cattermole would make Stoke more effective by pushing them up the field a lot quicker than they are at the minute and the last thing we want to do is make our relegation rivals a stronger side. The Guardian are running with the following:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/30/sunderland-lee-cattermole-liam-bridcutt-stoke-city-brighton

Cattermole Bridcutt

Ki

Johnson
    Borini

Scocco

I think the above could be very, very promising. Good protection for the back four, a top distributor of the football in Ki, pace and trickery out wide and I know little about Scocco but have been reliably informed by those more knowledgeable of him that despite being far from a stereotypical Premier League lone striker, he can play that role.

We could even take Cattermole out, play Scocco a little bit further back towards midfield with Altidore the lone striker. If Altidore plays like he did last night he would be an asset every game. It was his best game by far.

What have you made of Borini so far Paully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

dor83 wrote: »
    I agree that he is better than Guarin but I can't see him moving and don't think you can afford to have both in the same team.

Just anybody but Guarin. Anybody!

Just anybody but Guarin. Anybody!
    I agree but like I said, can't see anyone taking Guarin and Inter can't afford to have him and not play him. I'd also prefer Nani to Hernanes but can't see that happening either, we'll probably end up with someone past his best like Forlan or who was never good enough like Schelotto. I still can't believe Coutinho was sold to get Schelotto, that was utter stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Napoli have signed Palmeiras Brazilian centre half Henriques on a three and half year deal.

Saint-Etienne left-back Faouzi Ghoulam is also expected to move to the Stadio San Paolo before Friday's deadline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sky-Sports-News-on-Transf-001.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement