Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Agueroooo wrote: »

Buying an injured player, idiots ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ah the old "mystery club bids for Messi" not a proper tranfer window without it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Arsenal simply have to spend now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Looks like Ronaldinho has signed for Besiktas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Blatter wrote: »
    Easy to forget that for a few years, he was the most lethal player in the world. If he can get himself motivated and fit, he will destroy the Turkish league. Big if though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Blatter wrote: »

Had a decent season for Mineiro and named in the Brazil squad early last year. Can he feature in the World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Easy to forget that for a few years, he was the most lethal player in the world. If he can get himself motivated and fit, he will destroy the Turkish league. Big if though.

He is fit?

Been doing great for Mineiro the last 2 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

When Bernard was still at Minerio, himself and Ronaldinho were class to watch at times.

Rumour:

Draxler was at Arsenal this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Rumour:

Draxler was at Arsenal this morning.

yes, arsenal could really do with another midfielder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

retalivity wrote: »
    yes, arsenal could really do with another midfielder

He's a winger and they definitely need one of those. Arsenal will have to do a bit of business in this window otherwise I can see City running away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

It's known that Draxler was at London Colney (the training ground) but it has been explicitly stated that he won't be moving until the summer, as far as I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

It's known that Draxler was at London Colney (the training ground) but it has been explicitly stated that he won't be moving until the summer, as far as I've heard.

known by who? and stated by who?

This is very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Draxler is far effective in a playmaker role than on the wing. If Arsenal or anyone in England get him it's be an incredible buy...Draxler is a very good player.

Ole is off the mark...

BddijohCQAAiA1j.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Ole is off the mark...

BddijohCQAAiA1j.jpg

looked very promising a few years back with United reserves.be interesting to see how he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Aiden McGeady to Everton looks about to happen. Good move for both I reckon.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-transfer-news-aiden-mcgeady-3003050

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Defoe has joined Toronto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lennonist wrote: »
    Aiden McGeady to Everton looks about to happen. Good move for both I reckon.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-transfer-news-aiden-mcgeady-3003050

Average enough player but will be interesting to see how he does at that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

rob316 wrote: »
    Average enough player but will be interesting to see how he does at that level.

Average is not a word I would ascribe to him. He's a talented player, can be frustrating at times and is said to be a moody character from time to time. He'll need to be consistent to nail down a place in the current Everton team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Does mceady only play rw? Or can he play lw? With mirallas and deulofeu there at rw (granted the latter is injured and only a loanee) its getting a bit crowded there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Plays LW for Ireland usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

sugarman wrote: »
    Generally both, Ireland under trap often played inverted wingers so as to come inside on their good foot to shoot. Spartak have done it ocasionally too.

Deulfeu will be gone when mcgeady arrives in June and mirallas will prob be pushed into the middle.

Could be a great partnership with him and Coleman on the right overlapping

Non-Celtic fan here.
    McGeady excelled at Spartak, and is loved by the fans there. He has played in the centre at times too for time - more-so for periods of games.

He'll fit in perfectly at Everton, and will be a big addition to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Looks like Shane Long isn't going anywhere. His missus laid down the law and told him she wants to stay put.
    http://balls.ie/football/tweet-suggests-shane-long-will-leaving-west-brom-month/

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Looks like Shane Long isn't going anywhere. His missus laid down the law and told him she wants to stay put.
    http://balls.ie/football/tweet-suggests-shane-long-will-leaving-west-brom-month/

In fairness I'd say most would let her tell you what to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

klose wrote: »
    Does mceady only play rw? Or can he play lw? With mirallas and deulofeu there at rw (granted the latter is injured and only a loanee) its getting a bit crowded there?

he can play lw, rw & amc, probably most effective as an amc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Is McGeady staying in Russia until June?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

zerks wrote: »
    Defoe has joined Toronto.

terrible move for Defoe - especially in a WC year - surely a lot of Premiership teams would have gone for him , rather than just soaking up the the money in Canada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

ronjo wrote: »
    known by who? and stated by who?

This is very interesting.

Known in that essentially every Arsenal related source reported it without any ambiguity attached, Google "draxler London colney" and you'll find a dozen links, I'm on a phone so it's inconvenient to do.

Not sure about the source for not moving till summer, but it was stated that he had said it in an article I read, possibly in arseblog, can't remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

thebaz wrote: »
    terrible move for Defoe - especially in a WC year - surely a lot of Premiership teams would have gone for him , rather than just soaking up the the money in Canada
    I'd rather live in Toronto than Stoke or Hull.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

yup and England dont have an embarassment of striking options

Defoe will be the freshest English International striker they'll have come World Cup selection time, probably have the most confidence by the summer too.

AgileMyth wrote: »

and I'd rather live in New York than Manchester , but

... I'm not a professional soccer player

Dempsey wrote: »
    Defoe will be the freshest English International striker they'll have come World Cup selection time, probably have the most confidence by the summer too.

and he'll have played about as much competetive football as Andy Carrol

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

I'd rather improve my career playing in the best league in the world. But that's only if I was a professional footballer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'd rather improve my career playing in the best league in the world. But that's only if I was a professional footballer :)

imo Defoe has peaked and is only on a downward turn.Looking at semi retirement at a huge wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Didn't realise any German clubs had come in for him.

Hes 31. Hes been playing at the top level for around 15 years. Moving to a **** premier league team just to stay in England is as much a backward step as moving to the MLS. He may as well take the money and experience living somewhere else for a bit.

and he'll have played about as much competetive football as Andy Carrol

As I said, he'll be fresh. Rooney will probably still be carrying that groin problem

Didn't realise any German clubs had come in for him.

German league has the best team in the world, but embarrassing if you think it's the best league. Bayern have already won it, no parity in that league. Bayern will keep stealing every other teams best players and it will still be boring for years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

German league has the best team in the world, but embarrassing if you think it's the best league. Bayern have already won it, no parity in that league. Bayern will keep stealing every other teams best players and it will still be boring for years to come.

More teams have won the Bundesliga in the past 10 years than have won La Liga or the Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

LOL DFX Was I on a unique media channel when I heard Man Utd were giving Moyes a budget of €300m?? :8

More teams have won the Bundesliga in the past 10 years than have won La Liga or the Premier League.

I was speaking of now, not the past. The PL is the tightest it's been for years, hard to call who'll win. Hard to call even the top 6. But Bayern are already 7 points clear and with buying Lewandowski now that's next years title won. Maybe take Draxler off Shalke just so no team can compete with them. It's boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Isnt that how football is supposed to work tho?

Win trophies ...earn money ....buy the best players in your league with the money you earned?

Or should it be like England and get rich oil dude win trophies...buy best foreign players. Pretend your a great football club for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Isnt that how football is supposed to work tho?

Win trophies ...earn money ....buy the best players in your league with the money you earned?

Or should it be like England and get rich oil dude win trophies...buy best foreign players. Pretend your a great football club for a bit.

I don't understand the importance your placing on buying players from your league? Why does that make a difference?

I don't understand the importance your placing on buying players from your league? Why does that make a difference?

Other clubs in your league benefit, think of it as a food chain. money is kept in the league clubs are rewarded for grooming players (Lewandowski is a normal exception, Dortmund should have offered him more)

Someone always has to be on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I was speaking of now, not the past. The PL is the tightest it's been for years, hard to call who'll win. Hard to call even the top 6. But Bayern are already 7 points clear and with buying Lewandowski now that's next years title won. Maybe take Draxler off Shalke just so no team can compete with them. It's boring.

You know there are more competitive leagues than the Premier League, such as the Dutch league or Japanese league. So it's not the most competitive. It's certainly not the best quality either, the top sides in Spain and Germany are ahead of England so it's tough to see how the Premier League is the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

You know there are more competitive leagues than the Premier League, such as the Dutch league or Japanese league. So it's not the most competitive. It's certainly not the best quality either, the top sides in Spain and Germany are ahead of England so it's tough to see how the Premier League is the best.

Your logic is very flawed. When someone is looking for the best league they want the best compromise between the quality of the teams and how competitive it is. You can't just take examples from both sides of the spectrum and somehow conclude that the PL isn't the best. The Dutch League and Japanese league are boring, the best players in the world do not play there. Similarly, the Bundesliga and La Liga are a one and two horse race respectively. The PL has about 4 teams in contention for the title and another 4 in contention for 4th place, it is by far and away as of now the best league in the world.

Define "quality"?

Loads of goals scored due to **** defending/poor players.

Loads of decent players going nowhere but displaying serious technical football ability. Because the other team has just as many good players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm not one for tooting the PLs horn, but it gets the balance right so it is the best. La Liga is a joke of a league, at least until they sort out equal TV rights. The Bundesliga is a very good and competitive league, but I can see Bayern dominating for a few years now.

Advertisement