Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

You just have to look at the league tables. Bayern have already ran away with the league, and in la liga there's an 11 point difference between Barca/both Madrids and the rest. Joke league it is.

But back on topic! Hoping the rumours Arsenal are getting Jackson Martinez are true. He's an animal striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Moving to a **** premier league team just to stay in England is as much a backward step as moving to the MLS.

yeah, players really improve at the MLS - I'd say the standard would be more on par with League 1 ,nevermind the Championship or Premiership.

hope it takes off but right now the standard is poor, with a few high earners on a final payout before retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Your logic is very flawed. When someone is looking for the best league they want the best compromise between the quality of the teams and how competitive it is. You can't just take examples from both sides of the spectrum and somehow conclude that the PL isn't the best. The Dutch League and Japanese league are boring, the best players in the world do not play there. Similarly, the Bundesliga and La Liga are a one and two horse race respectively. The PL has about 4 teams in contention for the title and another 4 in contention for 4th place, it is by far and away as of now the best league in the world.

"the best players in the world do not play there"

Ronaldo is about to win the Balon D'or, Messi has won it each year since Ronaldo won it the first time. Generally in Spain, the cream of the crop are bought by Barcelona or Real Madrid (or are called up from the youth ranks of these clubs) while the next best (Silva, Mata, Navas, Negredo) while all hugely talented players, now tend to end up going abroad (more often than not to England where higher wages are on offer). However the very best of Spain's players (Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Ramos, Alonso, Isco) and, more often than not, the very best of players from abroad (Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Bale) tend to play for the big two.

In Germany the quality of the league has increased as the money is more evenly distributed. There's no doubting the amount of world class quality of Bayern Munich and Dortmund.

I think it would be tough to argue against Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund being the best 4 clubs in the world (the semi finalists of the Champions League stage last season afterall) and looking at the Balon D'or list it seems that most are in agreement that the best players in the world tend to come from those clubs. So there goes the theory that the Premier League has the best players in the world.

Germany has turned into a bit of a one horse race this season as Dortmund look to transition from the loss of Gotze and now the imminent loss of Lewandowski. Meanwhile in Spain, the big two have a rather formidable foe dividing them in the table, Atletico Madrid sit level on points with Barcelona at the top of La Liga, they've showed no signs of slowing down either, they are a force to be taken very seriously domestically and in Europe this season. Real Madrid meanwhile are only 5 points off the top of the table and have a squad of world class stars. It's very much a 3 horse race. In England, it's a 3 horse race too, sure the hype machine would want you to believe it's as open as being a 6 or even 8 horse race but it isn't, it's a 3 horse race, just like Spain, the only difference is that the 3 horses in Spain are superior to the 3 horses in England.

I'm not writing this to rag on the Premier League, heck I have a Sky Sports pack and one of the reasons I have that is to watch the Premier League. It's exciting, it's fast paced, sure it takes itself too seriously but that's part of the fun I guess. My problem is when people call it the best league in the world without justifying it. In the last 5-7 years the top teams in England have been going backwards, where once it was almost accepted that there would be at least 1 English team in the Champions League semi finals (if not more) now it's not quite guaranteed. Barcelona and Real Madrid remain strong. Bayern Munich and Dortmund have grown in strength, PSG too may be more of a threat in Europe this season as are Atletico Madrid. The Premier League is a fun league to watch, but if you are judging it on competitiveness it's no better than La Liga, and in the recent past no better than the Bundesliga, and if you are watching it for quality then it is inferior to La Liga and arguably the Bundesliga too.

Germany, England and Spain's leagues have roughly the same co-efficient (Spain have creeped ahead) but the two that aren't England rely heavily on two clubs for most of those points while England has a more even spread. There's little to choose between the 3 leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

PL for me is the most exciting league, maybe not the highest standard but definitely the most exciting. Any team can beat any other on a given day e.g. Sunderland against City in the last few years, something which happens far less often in the likes of La Liga and the Bundesliga given how much they are dominated by the likes of Barca and Bayern.
    The standard of La Liga can't be argued, especially when the likes of Michu can come over to England on the cheap from a low-ranked spanish team and tear it up in his first season. Find it hard to watch La Liga myself though, so many one-sided games, so much diving and the absolute nonsense that was going on between Barca and Real for years. Bundesliga is even more of a one horse race, with Bayern buying every good player in the league and destroying their rivals that way.
    PL for me, day and night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    PL for me is the most exciting league, maybe not the highest standard but definitely the most exciting. Any team can beat any other on a given day e.g. Sunderland against City in the last few years, something which happens far less often in the likes of La Liga and the Bundesliga given how much they are dominated by the likes of Barca and Bayern.
    The standard of La Liga can't be argued, especially when the likes of Michu can come over to England on the cheap from a low-ranked spanish team and tear it up in his first season. Find it hard to watch La Liga myself though, so many one-sided games, so much diving and the absolute nonsense that was going on between Barca and Real for years. Bundesliga is even more of a one horse race, with Bayern buying every good player in the league and destroying their rivals that way.
    PL for me, day and night.

Fair play, you put forward a reasoning and, at the end of the day that's your opinion and I'm not going to be able to change that but just a few points.

Have you ever thought that the reason why it's more rare to see a smaller team in Spain getting a result against a bigger team is because the biggest teams in Spain are so good. Like if they dropped points every third week then I don't think they could be considered among the best clubs in the world, but they don't, they really are among the best clubs in the world so when they do drop points it actually means more because you know that for 90 minutes a small club with a fraction of a budget that the big club has, has equaled or bettered one of the greatest teams in the world.

To be fair, if you were to take say the Daily Mail's website and read the articles on that over the course of the last 2 weeks, so many will be about Mark Clattenburg, diving, complaints about the referees decisions and Theo Walcott's hand gesture. Basically nonsense.

I'd also argue that there is every bit as much diving in the Premier League as there is in La Liga.

Anyway those were just a few points I wanted to raise, this is the January transfer window thread so I will now cease to comment on the subject again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Germany, England and Spain's leagues have roughly the same co-efficient (Spain have creeped ahead) but the two that aren't England rely heavily on two clubs for most of those points while England has a more even spread. There's little to choose between the 3 leagues.

Actually Spain has 4 clubs in the top ten clubs in the uefa coefficent. England has 3. Even in the top 40 Spain has more clubs 7 to Englands 6.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

kksaints wrote: »
    Actually Spain has 4 clubs in the top ten clubs in the uefa coefficent. England has 3. Even in the top 40 Spain has more clubs 7 to Englands 6.

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/

Let's go top 20, 5-4 to England. Top 30? 6-4 to England. Why did you go top 10 and top 40? ;)

Point is, it's damn close. Also I think most would agree that Spain's 4th team, Valencia, who are 9th, probably aren't as good as England's 4th team in 18th, Manchester City. Like I said, it's damn close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You just have to look at the league tables. Bayern have already ran away with the league, and in la liga there's an 11 point difference between Barca/both Madrids and the rest. Joke league it is.

But back on topic! Hoping the rumours Arsenal are getting Jackson Martinez are true. He's an animal striker.

From a really strong league too by your own reckoning :rolleyes:.

P.S. I like J.M.

Your logic is very flawed. When someone is looking for the best league they want the best compromise between the quality of the teams and how competitive it is. You can't just take examples from both sides of the spectrum and somehow conclude that the PL isn't the best. The Dutch League and Japanese league are boring, the best players in the world do not play there. Similarly, the Bundesliga and La Liga are a one and two horse race respectively. The PL has about 4 teams in contention for the title and another 4 in contention for 4th place, it is by far and away as of now the best league in the world.

Watch a lot of Eredivisie do you? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I'd rather improve my career playing in the best league in the world

I doubt he had any offers from Spain tbh

The PL has about 4 teams in contention for the title and another 4 in contention for 4th place, it is by far and away as of now the best league in the world.

The football is rubbish for the most part though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

COYVB wrote: »
    The football is rubbish for the most part though...

Yeah, watching Barca, Real and now seemingly Atletico beating everyone except each other is a real advertisement for the overall quality of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Saw someone call the Eredvisie boring.

Absolute pre-judgement of the highest order. Very interesting league always a close battle at the top and bottom of the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Back on topic lads, its a transfer thread not a which league is better thread.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Defoe is officially moving to Toronto according to Spurs twitter account.

Leaves spurs with Ade, Soldado and Kane up front.

Possibly Lamela as a second striker as well.
    We have reached agreement with Toronto FC for the transfer of Jermain Defoe to the MLS side, with effect from February 28, 2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Leaves spurs with Ade, Soldado and Kane up front.

Possibly Lamela as a second striker as well.

Will he not be loaned to someone until then or just enjoy a few weeks off dya reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Will he not be loaned to someone until then or just enjoy a few weeks off dya reckon?
    Well he seems to playing for Spurs until he moves in February I don't think he is officially gone until then.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Aiden McGeady looks to have signed for Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Aiden McGeady looks to have signed for Everton

That's good.
    I'm actually fascinated to see how he does. It could be anywhere between brilliantly and awful.

He's a great player to beat his man, andf this can really open teams up.

So now McGeady, Coleman, McCarthy and Gibson all at Everton. Really hope they can make Champions League now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

That's good.
    I'm actually fascinated to see how he does. It could be anywhere between brilliantly and awful.

So now McGeady, Coleman, McCarthy and Gibson all at Everton. Really hope they can make Champions League now.

That can only help Ireland as a team too, with so many players now (we hope) playing with each other week in, week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

http://football-italia.net/43635/milan-working-essien
    Milan linked with Essien, another absolutely dreadful stopgap signing in our midfield. Keep it up lads

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

It's reported they got £6m for him which is great business for Spurs.

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah, watching Barca, Real and now seemingly Atletico beating everyone except each other is a real advertisement for the overall quality of the league.

Theres usually another 7 games on that don't include those teams every week - and the football on show is a hell of a lot more enjoyable to watch than anything in the premier league

It's reported they got £6m for him which is great business for Spurs.

He should do well for tfc. Theyve also signed Bradley. Looks like they're going to put some effort in this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Defoe will rip the MLS a new one.

Rodrigo looks likely to got to Zenit from Benfica soon, big move for him and a lot of money for him.

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=452497

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

thebaz wrote: »
    yeah, players really improve at the MLS - I'd say the standard would be more on par with League 1 ,nevermind the Championship or Premiership.

hope it takes off but right now the standard is poor, with a few high earners on a final payout before retirement
    You realise Defoe isn't some up and coming young lad? Hes not going to improve anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If Defoe is a goal machine at Europa League, I have no doubts he will be a goal machine at MLS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,649 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was hoping MU would make a bid for Yohan Cabaye, have they made any approaches or buys yet?

AgileMyth wrote: »
    You realise Defoe isn't some up and coming young lad? Hes not going to improve anywhere.

well he certainly isnt going to improve in the MLS - love the Premiership bashing , i find it the most exciting league around - ther said it

That's good.

getting back to its Irish roots - great to see , I remember when it was only Kevin Sheedy - happy days being an Irish Evertonian these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I was hoping MU would make a bid for Yohan Cabaye, have they made any approaches or buys yet?

I hope not. The thing about Cabaye is that Pardew keeps fúcking advertising him after games.

"When you have a world class player like Cabaye he can make a different to your squad."

"He's a world class player and would walk into any of the top teams"

I think he'll be gone by summer if I'm honest but wouldn't say we'll sell him to Man United. They're our closest rivals at the moment. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Defoe's move is disappointing more than anything as a football fan. Definitely had a few years left in him in the Premier League. He'll score lots of goals out there and may be fresh etc for England but he wouldn't be kept on his toes at all out there, he wouldn't be sharp at all for a big tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Arrow. wrote: »

I think Shane Long was Hull's first target, but Long didn't move there this time 'cos his wife is pregnant and didn't want to move right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

well he certainly isnt going to improve in the MLS - love the Premiership bashing , i find it the most exciting league around - ther said it

How many other leagues do you watch? Or do you just listen to sky commentators after any decent game,"you don't get this in other leagues"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Defoe isn't going to improve in any league at this stage of his career.He went for a huge pay packet I doubt he would have got anything close if he had stayed in the EPL.His career is winding up and he has the opportunity to earn huge money for a few seasons.Don't blame him tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Aidan Mcgeady transfer to Everton confirmed. 4 1/2 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

5live wrote: »
    Aidan Mcgeady transfer to Everton confirmed. 4 1/2 year deal.
    Undisclosed fee which annoys me! Anybody hear any figures mentioned?

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Undisclosed fee which annoys me! Anybody hear any figures mentioned?

Wasnt he out of contract??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Wasnt he out of contract??

6 months remaining but bosman ruling does not apply to his contract

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dempsey wrote: »
    6 months remaining but bosman ruling does not apply to his contract

Why not?

Seaneh wrote: »
    Why not?

Russia arent in the EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Dempsey wrote: »
    Russia arent in the EU

I thought he had been dropped for refusing to sign a new contract?

Most talk seems to be about Spartak selling him now before he leaves for free in the Summer.

Seems it would be a compensation type deal, similar to the rules that protect younger players and bosman transfers , although they vary too.

I thought he had been dropped for refusing to sign a new contract?

Most talk seems to be about Spartak selling him now before he leaves for free in the Summer.

McGeady said 2 years ago that he wasnt going to renew his contract at Spartak. He was dropped for not doing what the coaches told him to do in training. McGeady, to quote Martin O'Neill, is a "cantankerous git".

I dont know the ins & out of the transfer rules between non-EU and EU clubs but the Bosman rule applies to free transfers between clubs within the EU. Compensation required in certain scenarios, cant talk to clubs without permission in his final 6 months are two notable differences AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Brian Ruiz in advanced talks with PSV, SSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ignacio Scocco likely to join Sunderland, according to his father. Sunderland tried hard to get him during the summer but for whatever reason couldn't get it done.

Anyone kept an eye on him at Internacional?

sugarman wrote: »
    I heard it was as little as 500k, a steal if true.

Everton seem to do very well in the transfer market.

Coleman only cost them 50,000 sure, and I think Gibson was in the region of 200k If I recall.

I read an article saying £2.5m, cant remember which media outlet said it. If I find it i'll edit the post.

Its probably a deal that includes clauses. Probably 500k up front with more money paid based on performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

zerks wrote: »
    Brian Ruiz in advanced talks with PSV, SSN.

he should move to one of Europe's bigger teams

• Advertisement
Advertisement