Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭CSF

lordgoat wrote: »
    Anyone that actually watched him play for the reserves this season isn't surprised that he's not getting first team game time.

Delighted we got someone to take him on loan. Big step up needed from him.
    Haven't watched him in the reserves so I haven't a clue what his work has been like, you would imagine a club like Cardiff would be an ideal breeding ground for him to get used to Premiership football though. Guaranteed starter most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

astradave wrote: »
    Hulk has just posted a Picture on Instagram with him in a private plane in London Luton Airport.. Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal?

Read somewhere that it was just a stop over en route to Portugal. Sounds like hulk was doing some old fashioned trolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Read somewhere that it was just a stop over en route to Portugal. Sounds like hulk was doing some old fashioned trolling
    HULK SMASH HEARTS OF LONDON FOOTBALL FANS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Hulk..... overrated is an understatement.
    Wouldnt even want to see him in a Feyenoord jersey if they got him for free.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

CSF wrote: »
    Haven't watched him in the reserves so I haven't a clue what his work has been like, you would imagine a club like Cardiff would be an ideal breeding ground for him to get used to Premiership football though. Guaranteed starter most likely.

I can't remember but isn't Noone direct competition for him and he's having a great season, prob their best player. I'm sure they'll fit him in but if i was Ole I'd be looking for defenders and out and out strikers.

For the reserves he's been average which isn't good enough if you're meant to be 'that good'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yep. Amazes me Zenit paid €60m for him.

maximoose wrote: »
    Yep. Amazes me Zenit paid €60m for him.

55 for "Hulk"
    5 for the talent.

Had his name been Anderson he would have costed exactly that: 5 million

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

lordgoat wrote: »
    I can't remember but isn't Noone direct competition for him and he's having a great season, prob their best player. I'm sure they'll fit him in but if i was Ole I'd be looking for defenders and out and out strikers.

For the reserves he's been average which isn't good enough if you're meant to be 'that good'

He was also one of the best player in the Championship which is levels above the reserves.

Big jump to the PL but the loan is the best option at the moment. Hes seems to be a guy who thinks he deserves a crack right now so if he succeeds then great, if he doesn't then he will hopefully realise he has to knuckle down, work harder and be more professional in similar situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

+1 on the Hulk is over-rated brigade.

I dont understand the hype or why any team would ever spend a lot of money on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

inforfun wrote: »
    Hulk..... overrated is an understatement.
    Wouldnt even want to see him in a Feyenoord jersey if they got him for free.
    LMFAO*1,000,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭me89

Antonio Nocerino has signed for west ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Stoke and Cardiff have done a straight swap of Kenwyne Jones and Peter Odemwingie.

Odemwingie seems to be a bit of a header to say the least. This time last year he decided he was signing for QPR, went back to West Brom with egg on his mush and now leaves Cardiff after 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

JPA wrote: »
    the injuries, in some quarters, have been attributed to Moyes' overtraining the players.
    I know I'm late in replying to this but it's quite annoying to see this bandied around as common knowledge and fact because some Dutch guy said so.
    Has any player come out and said this?
    Do people think Moyes is stupid enough to disregard certain training regimes and just run players into the ground regardless of their situation?

I know I'm late in replying to this but it's quite annoying to see this bandied around as common knowledge and fact because some Dutch guy said so.
    Has any player come out and said this?
    Do people think Moyes is stupid enough to disregard certain training regimes and just run players into the ground regardless of their situation?

I have no idea about how they train at Utd, not watching that.

What i do know and find rather stupid is that they had Van Persie fly to Australia pre season while he had been there with Holland (Indonesia and China friendlies) just weeks before.

I read somewhere he spend 20.000 miles in the air in just a few weeks. That cant be healthy.

I am aware it was probably inevitable due to contract obligations that he had to be in Australia but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

inforfun wrote: »
    I have no idea about how they train at Utd, not watching that.

What i do know and find rather stupid is that they had Van Persie fly to Australia pre season while he had been there with Holland (Indonesia and China friendlies) just weeks before.

I read somewhere he spend 20.000 miles in the air in just a few weeks. That cant be healthy.

I am aware it was probably inevitable due to contract obligations that he had to be in Australia but still.
    He had a long haul flight a few weeks before doing what the rest of the squad did?
    Don't see that to be a huge issue tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

SSN reporting PSG have put in a bid of 14m for Cabaye and its been rejected

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9135007/?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is it just me or has the transfer window been getting more boring as each year passes?

Practically nothing happens (to the annoyance of $ky Sports News).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is it just me or has the transfer window been getting more boring as each year passes?

Practically nothing happens (to the annoyance of $ky Sports News).

People say this every year.

Sky hype it up, then people realise it really isn't that exciting.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any action seems to happen near the end. Why don't they move it to a period of 1 week, instead of 1 month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Any action seems to happen near the end. Why don't they move it to a period of 1 week, instead of 1 month.

Do you want Jim White too have a banger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »
    Ignacio Scocco likely to join Sunderland, according to his father. Sunderland tried hard to get him during the summer but for whatever reason couldn't get it done.

Anyone kept an eye on him at Internacional?

Update on this one is that Sunderland are expecting the deal to be done this week for £2.5m.

Hugely important signing for us as we need a spark in the final third and if Scocco doesn't settle quickly and provide it we could be toast. It's not really fair on the player but unfortunately that's the way it is. One good thing is that he played in the same system as Poyet's when he was Newell's last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Totally agree. You have 3 weeks of little more than newspaper gossip and then a (relative) flurry of activity in the last day or two, most of it panic buying at inflated prices.

Imho they should cancel the January transfer window altogether, make it so you have your squad of players at the start of the season and that's what you work with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Totally agree. You have 3 weeks of little more than newspaper gossip and then a (relative) flurry of activity in the last day or two, most of it panic buying at inflated prices.

Imho they should cancel the January transfer window altogether, make it so you have your squad of players at the start of the season and that's what you work with.

Terrible idea. What about teams that have changed their manager, teams with crippling injury lists, and player's who can't get a game?

Terrible idea. What about teams that have changed their manager, teams with crippling injury lists, and player's who can't get a game?

How about teams adapt and learn to cope with those issues rather than just throwing money at it? Maybe give a couple of the young players a chance rather than just buying whoever is this week's overpriced quick-fix?

How about teams adapt and learn to cope with those issues rather than just throwing money at it? Maybe give a couple of the young players a chance rather than just buying whoever is this week's overpriced quick-fix?

Unfair pressure on younger players, unfair on new managers, unfair on senior players not getting a game.

Besides, afaik there is EU employment law to contend with too, free movement etc though I'm not 100% on that one.

Unfair pressure on younger players, unfair on new managers, unfair on senior players not getting a game.

Besides, afaik there is EU employment law to contend with too, free movement etc though I'm not 100% on that one.

If EU employment law and free movement came into it then surely players could move at will and there would be no such thing as a transfer window?

If EU employment law and free movement came into it then surely players could move at will and there would be no such thing as a transfer window?

I'm not sure of the specifics of that one tbh, just a point I heard made before. Maybe someone else might explain better, or I could even have picked it up arseways.

My view is that we're better off with a mid season transfer window, it adds that little bit more tension and drama and makes the title/relegation fights more exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Protection applies to footballers like any other EU worker but footballers are on fixed-term contracts and therefore cannot just move whenever they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ngog to Swansea on loan is a strange one. Whats it with poor Championship strikers getting decent moves to the PL, him and Holt now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Corholio wrote: »
    Ngog to Swansea on loan is a strange one. Whats it with poor Championship strikers getting decent moves to the PL, him and Holt now.

Ya it screams of Swansea having no funds at all and scrambling for anything, Ngog is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

"Manchester United have upped pace hugely - Marco Reus & Toni Kroos number #1 targets. Given £150m war-chest to spend in the next 4 days. 1/2"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

"Manchester United have upped pace hugely - Marco Reus & Toni Kroos number #1 targets. Given £150m war-chest to spend in the next 4 days. 1/2"

Source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Cabaye off to Psg.

They don't mess around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Man United: Having a bad season. Show ambition buy bringing in Mata.

Newcastle (1 point behind Man United): Having an ok season for our standards. Sell our best player.

*bangs head off wall*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

That_Guy wrote: »
    Man United: Having a bad season. Show ambition buy bringing in Mata.

Newcastle (1 point behind Man United): Having an ok season for our standards. Sell our best player.

*bangs head off wall*

Lads on Football Weekly reckon they've no ambition to trying to make EL after what happened last time they were in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Lads on Football Weekly reckon they've no ambition to trying to make EL after what happened last time they were in it.

God forbid we should play at a higher standard and show some fúcking ambition. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Not saying he's near the best, but Cabaye is the most valuable player to a team in the Premier League IMO. Suarez, Aguero etc are all important to their clubs but they usually have enough to win most games without them. The difference Cabaye makes to Newcastle is astounding.

BfBVJtHIcAAuDUW.jpg

Not saying he's near the best, but Cabaye is the most valuable player to a team in the Premier League IMO. Suarez, Aguero etc are all important to their clubs but they usually have enough to win most games without them. The difference Cabaye makes to Newcastle is astounding.

BfBVJtHIcAAuDUW.jpg

PSG never asked me could they take him from my Fantasy Football team :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

BfBVJtHIcAAuDUW.jpg

That's pretty amazing Relegation form without him, comfortable top 10 finish with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

BfBVJtHIcAAuDUW.jpg

Sample size? I doubt missing Cabaye is the main reason they're conceding an extra 0.8 goals per game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sample size? I doubt missing Cabaye is the main reason they're conceding an extra 0.8 goals per game.

The sample size is his whole Newcastle career.
    When he plays I'm sure Newcastle have better possession and as a result concede less, I don't think it's unrelated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Corholio wrote: »

Adding to Becchio going to Norwich last season.

SSN reporting that Luuk De Jong is on his way to Newcastle for a medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Peter odemwingie has gone to stoke with kenwyne jones going to Cardiff .
    It seems like a game of pass the parcel with odemwingie every transfer window .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Peter odemwingie has gone to stoke with kenwyne jones going to Cardiff .
    It seems like a game of pass the parcel with odemwingie every transfer window .

Yeah, he was immense for West Brom in his first season. There is a great player there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

razorblunt wrote: »
    Adding to Becchio going to Norwich last season.

Becchio wasnt a poor championship striker.

Advertisement