Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shelf life of icing made with egg white

Options
  • 16-12-2013 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with icing a Christmas cake. I want to cover it with royal?? Icing. ( the one made with egg whites and glycerine)
    How long does is last? Can you heat the egg whites to pasteurise them first?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Presume you mean there is also icing sugar in that recipe. You can buy cartons of pateurised egg whites in most of the big supermarkets which is more to do with the salmonella issue than shelf life of the icing. How long do you want it to last for? It will certainly last long past Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Oh that's grand so. I was just afraid that the egg being raw would go off or something . Defo won't last much past Christmas :)
    ( I might look out for the pasteurised egg white though )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Oh that's grand so. I was just afraid that the egg being raw would go off or something . Defo won't last much past Christmas :)
    ( I might look out for the pasteurised egg white though )

you can buy royal icing in packages that you mix water with - they contain powdered egg white which means you don't have either loads of egg whites left over in the carton, or egg yolks if you use the real thing.

Advertisement