Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new car - using old cars insurance for this

Options
  • 16-12-2013 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Hi, im buying a new car at the end of this month, and giving my old car as a trade in.

It has paid insurance until the end of january 2014, and im allowed to drive other vehicles with this insurance.

What should i do, should i transfer the insurance to the new car, or can i just drive the new car etc? The insurance is with 123.ie

Is there any costs associated for transferring the new car to the old insurance, or can it be done at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

just called to 123.ie, they will charge 40 eur for the change

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

You're allowed drive other vehilces that you don't own on your policy.

You will need to transfer the insurance and pay 123 their admin fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

finnteme wrote: »
    Hi, im buying a new car at the end of this month, and giving my old car as a trade in.

It has paid insurance until the end of january 2014, and im allowed to drive other vehicles with this insurance.

What should i do, should i transfer the insurance to the new car, or can i just drive the new car etc? The insurance is with 123.ie

Is there any costs associated for transferring the new car to the old insurance, or can it be done at all?

You need to check the terms of your policy very carefully, normally cars you own are excluded from the "drive other cars" bit..

Also there might be limits to how often you can drive other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

thanks for the answers, will call them and pay the 40 eur admin fee, much easier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

finnteme wrote: »
    thanks for the answers, will call them and pay the 40 eur admin fee, much easier :)
    Your car is what is insured so when you sell/trade in that car you are without insurance until you add another car to your policy! You would be driving without insurance for the sake of a €40 administration charge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement