Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVB has been sacked, Sherwood appointed

• 16-12-2013 12:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭

Tottenham Hotspur
    @SpursOfficial
    We can announce agreement has been reached with Head Coach, Andre Villas-Boas, for the termination of his services bit.ly/1hdCGGL

Not surprising to be honest. Still think its the wrong decision though, he should have been given a longer chance. Another knee jerk sacking.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tis the season I guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Damn, I was enjoying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

SSN go straight for the most impartial view on the sacking; Jamie Redknapp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

2 points ahead of United and sacked for poor performance... How the times have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hmm.

I think AVB deserves a lot of criticism for sticking with certain tactical and selection decisions despite a lack of success, but the big picture is that they completed a massive overhaul of their squad during the summer and are a mere 5 points off fouth place.

I think his style of play and the nature of a couple of defeats are triggering a fan pleasing albeit shortsighted move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ha

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

ridiculous!

football needs a big reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This is bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Spoofer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

But I can back to hating spuds without their ride of a manager :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

They are 8 pints of first. Still in with a chance of league cup, europa cup. Madness.

On paper I think Spurs have one of the best squads in the league. With a bit of time he could have got them to play well.

Redknapp: after what he did at Chelsea (fall out with redknapp's cousin), he was incredibly lucky to get the job at spurs (replacing Jamie's father)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

So who is going to replace him? Get 'Arry back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

But who will replace him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Spurs are a basket case. Tried to buy success in one summer, and failed, now yet another new manager. Even Chelsea were never this bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Spurs have the same points now as they did at this stage last season - their highest points tally in their history.

Too early to sack him, in my mind. Why back him with a 100m if you are going to be so quick to get rid. You'd swear Spurs weren't a couple of points off Top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

In fairness its a rather knee jerk reaction unless they have had a better option lined up it could push spurs further from 4th.

You can see why hes being sacked but still, allowing the guy to spend that money and not giving him much time is a bit silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

keith16 wrote: »

Rumours of Capello coming in . Prob nothing in them though.

Think it's a bit harsh even though they've looked terrible . I don't think they had 1 shot on target yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

AVBP45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Redknapp is loving this.

Redknapp is loving this.

On Levy: I think he quiet enjoys sacking managers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Mad decision. He had a bit of a go at the club in his interview about the players that were signed so he must have known this was on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

Capello was at the game yesterday so it may have been in the pipeline before then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

GavRedKing wrote: »
    In fairness its a rather knee jerk reaction unless they have had a better option lined up it could push spurs further from 4th.

You can see why hes being sacked but still, allowing the guy to spend that money and not giving him much time is a bit silly.

This, it's obviously not ideal to make wholesale changes but the fans wouldnt want anything but a reinvestment of the Bale fee. You would think that came with the time to make it gel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Should have been given time. Sure they had some bad results, but they are only 6 points off 2nd place.

Had a massive overhaul in playing staff this summer too. I actually like AVB as a manager. You dont see United Sacking Moyes and they are further behind.

You can't lose 6-0 to city and 5-0 at home to anyone in less then a month it would seem. I always have and will think he is a spoofer though. I wonder who Spurs will get in now... interesting. They've spunked so much money this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Feck it Rafa in!

AVB got promoted beyond his ability - a great season with a brilliant Porto squad did not mean he was ready for the big time. he should have stuck around at home for a couple more years and then made the move - to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Please be Hoddle Please be Hoddle

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Im guessing the only possibly candidates at capello, Lippi and hiddink.

I'd love if they went for Solskjær though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

keith16 wrote: »

Why Steve Clarke of course !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Gerry Francis and his mullet, it has to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

They'll get Klinsmann in!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Laudrup id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Digitalism wrote: »
    Im guessing the only possibly candidates at capello, Lippi and hiddink.

I'd love if they went for Solskjær though.
    His star has fairly fallen in the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Capello wasn't there yesterday just for the prawn sandwiches.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Football is eating it's own tail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Dya reckon AVB will stick around England? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

What a ridiculously stupid decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Laudrup or Klinsmann would be great. I'd take Roy Keane either, worth a punt!

Steve Clarke would be a good one either.

Don't want Di Matteo or Capello. Hiddink maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Martinez?

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Martinez?

I honestly don't think he'd even want to leave Everton, let alone Everton being willing to let him go.

Not an option, in my mind.

Capello, anyone?

Gutted he's gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Fraud.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Capello will give Spurs the swashbuckling brand of football that they long for.

:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

IK09 wrote: »
    Laudrup id say

Almost certainly the first port of call - and yet is he that good? Swansea have been very in and out this season. His summer buys have been equally hot and cold. Of course he could thrive as the "new broom", picking a squad and shifting on some of the needless summer purchases quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Rafa? Martinez??? Seriously why the flip would either of them step down to Spurs?

Glad that Suarez is destroying managers as well as teams now. Soon the world will be his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm gutted. I really wanted him to do well at Spurs and be at the club for the next 5 years, building a bit of a legacy. Really disappointed it's come to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Spurs fans definitely becoming amongst the most delusional breed of fan.

Let's recap this:

Spurs are 7th in the league (8 points from top)
    Quarter Final of League Cup
    Last-32 Europa League
    Lots of new players who all need time to gel.
    More importantly 4 of the next 6 league games in no particular order are: Crystal Palace, Stoke, West Brom, Southampton.

And you all want the manager sacked?

Spurs are not Bayern Munich. They're not Real Madrid. They're not even Manchester United (who incidentally are below them in the league). Point being this isn't an outlandish fall from grace from the perennial champions.

In fact, if you take aside the poor standard of play and take aside that it's fairly turgid stuff, if you take aside the spankings to City & Pool.......take it all aside......

Spurs are effectively only 3 or 4 points off where AvB would want them at this point in the season!

you'd swear they are languishing in the relegation zone by some of your comments!!

Are they still in contention for the title? Of course they are! Outsiders? yes, Contention? yes.

Are they still in contention for top 4 which represents progress? yes! Of course!

Can they still land a trophy this year? of course by all means! Spank West Ham in the 1/4s and they're 2 games from a trophy. And they have every chance in the Europa League on their European form.

I'm not a massive fan of AVB by any means but he's genuinely not that far off where Spurs should be with less than half a season played. 3 points. Maybe even 2!

So you sack Harry who had you in the top 4, if you sack AVB then you're sending out what signal? That you're wannabe Chelski and want to pump £100m at the title and get instant results.

Good luck with that! Pumping money at it can't work, full stop, Man City are richer than anybody else and if that's the game you want to play there's only one winner.

Someone needs a lot of time to get the top 4 then title at Spurs.

Where's that post from?

A lot of sense there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement