Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVB has been sacked, Sherwood appointed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

eagle eye wrote: »
    Sherwood has built himself a very good reputation over the last couple of years at spurs. He started out with the underage players but got involved at every level to learn the ropes. He has been mentioned over the last 12 months as a potential candidate to move into management away from Tottenham but he has gotten the big job sooner than expected.
    Having been Captain of Blackburn when they won the Premier League he clearly has great leadership qualities about him, he always comes across as a bright guy too. I think he will do well there.

You do know his u21s team are 18th in the table right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Nobody has seen him manage a team before, whether you think he's capable or not, to write him off before he gets a chance is just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Leroy42 wrote: »
    In any other line of work no top job would go to a guy with so little experience.
    You don't get it, Sherwood is an interim manager in everything but name. If, in the unlikely event he can get top 4, Levy will claim the appointment as a masterstroke of his. If he fails to achieve top 4, Levy will claim Sherwood was just a stop gap for Van Gaal/Capello/whoever is flavour of the day.

The real shambles in this situation was sacking Redknapp in the first place. What ever you say about his approach, his team played the right way, they were getting results, and they were progressing.

If anything, Levy should be turfed out for sacking a proven manager and bringing an utter spoofer like AVB in.
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    Europa Cup winning manager
    Increasingly, it looks like AVB may just have been a lucky manager.

In his one season at Porto, he inherited what must be one of the best Porto teams in history (his team contained Moutinho, Falcao, Hulk, etc.) - £200M of talent alone, not to mention a cadre of other Champions League quality players. AVB didn't bring in any of these players and for me, it wasn't surprising that they could dominate the Portuguese league and bring home a Europa League competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Jamie Rednapp on Sherwood

"Sherwood wownt tawk tactics, ee'll tawk foo'bawl. Ee’s no bluffer, ee’s a foo'bawl man and ee’s exactly wot Spurs need."

Apparently tactics aren't football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

"Sherwood wownt tawk tactics, ee'll tawk foo'bawl. Ee’s no bluffer, ee’s a foo'bawl man and ee’s exactly wot Spurs need."

Rednapp is a clown !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Basically, I was right, Levy was wrong statement tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Aorry - but is that supposed to be a scouse, geordie, East end or Hawaiian accent?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Aorry - but is that supposed to be a scouse, geordie, East end or Hawaiian accent?

Looked French to me, hard to tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Interim in all but name! Why not get a proven manager to fill that spot, like Benetiz did at Chelsea. In all likelyhood Sherwood won't get Spurs into the Top 4 which makes attracting new players and a new manager next year even more difficult.

Liverpool are progressing, as are Everton. Utd as struggling so Spurs shoose this time to take 6 months downtime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Leave my useless attempt at phonetic cockney out of this and lets get back to slagging Rednapp, which is what Christmas should be about really.

• Advertisement

As an impartial observer, can I just say how dare Tim Sherwood go to Old Trafford and get a result against one of their biggest rivals. This bull**** tactic of winning matches with players playing freely and to the best of their abilities is the biggest pile of sh!the I have ever seen.

Sherwood out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

As an impartial observer, can I just say how dare Tim Sherwood go to Old Trafford and get a result against one of their biggest rivals. This bull**** tactic of winning matches with players playing freely and to the best of their abilities is the biggest pile of sh!the I have ever seen.

Sherwood out!

AVB won there last season too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭The Narrator

Sherwood now has the best win percentage of any Spurs manager in history. :P

Watched Spurs today, as a Liverpool fan, I can honest say I am now starting to get worried about them. Eriksen seems to have been given a much more free role than he had under AVB and for me, he really has started looking like the maestro that he did when with Ajax. Even though Adebayor didn't score, he showed his quality with a lovely headed assist for Eriksen's goal. To think that imbecile AVB forced him to train with the kids!

Only worry with Spurs is the lack of goals from the strikers. I still think they will come but Sherwood will really have to work hard to rebuild the confidence that AVB shattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya agree with the above poster.

Sherwood together with the return of Adebayor and regular places for Eriksen, Dembélé and now Bentaleb playing well too all seem to be a breath of fresh air for Spurs. Looking good for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

If Palace hadn't spectacularly missed a penalty it could have been a completely different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Watched Spurs today, as a Liverpool fan, I can honest say I am now starting to get worried about them. Eriksen seems to have been given a much more free role than he had under AVB and for me, he really has started looking like the maestro that he did when with Ajax. Even though Adebayor didn't score, he showed his quality with a lovely headed assist for Eriksen's goal. To think that imbecile AVB forced him to train with the kids!

Only worry with Spurs is the lack of goals from the strikers. I still think they will come but Sherwood will really have to work hard to rebuild the confidence that AVB shattered.

Thought Spurs played poorly for most of the first half today, better in the second.

Soldado is not in the zone at all. Defoe scored today but he's off to Canada soon. That's a decent option gone and can't see us finding a better replacement in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Crisis was never much of a crisis spurs were still racking up the points.
    I'm not sure why they have been so thoroughly written off never going to win the league but never in danger of really dropping out of top 5/6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Their first half performance was dreadful today, much improved in the second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

They still don't look organised at all. They've been getting the honeymoon points but if Sherwood doesnt wise up I can't see that continuing.

• Advertisement

Thought Spurs played poorly for most of the first half today, better in the second.

Soldado is not in the zone at all. Defoe scored today but he's off to Canada soon. That's a decent option gone and can't see us finding a better replacement in January.
    For me, Spurs controlled the game and the Crystal Palace penalty came against the run of play.

I think Eriksen looks like he has the potential to be absolutely key to Spurs. When he got on the ball today, everything pivoted around him, and I am not surprised to now see him racking up assists and goals under Sherwood. I think AVB's system of hoofball just didn't suit him. There's no point of launching long balls over his head for an isolated Soldado to try and chase down. Even though Soldado hasn't been among the goals just yet, he looks a much happier figure now than what he did under AVB. The goals will come. Also, Sherwood seems to have a much better tactical understanding of what his players can do. For example, I've seen Lennon doing what he does best - running at his man, one on one and whipping in crosses. Eriksen has been on the ball much much more, distributing and recycling play much faster than what happened under AVB. Adebayor has been a revelation - for a player that AVB threw out to trash, he has been excellent.

Spurs aren't there yet, and I doubt Sherwood is the long-term solution - but if he continues on the path that he has been, I think he should leave a decent team for whoever is behind to make a push for 4th next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

firstly palace were the better team in the first half but i dont think soldado/ade work well together, i think they need a more withdrawn striker in the rooney mould(hard to find). I was impressed by the young lad in midfield tho, very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Judging by Sherwoods utterly inept tactical showing against Arsenal last week (4-4-2, two attack-minded central midfielders with Capoue on the bench), I'm not particularly worried by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Judging by Sherwoods utterly inept tactical showing against Arsenal last week (4-4-2, two attack-minded central midfielders with Capoue on the bench), I'm not particularly worried by them.

He's the almost stereotypical British manager. He'll play a Mike Bassett ''4-4-fucking-2'' every week and won't be able to adapt tactically at all. As you've somewhat alluded to, when you come up against the likes of Arsene Wenger that approach just isn't going to work. It's not the 1990's any more and the game has moved on.

He seems a very nice bloke but I'd be very surprised if Spurs don't already have their next manager ready to take over in the summer after the season or World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Mr Alan wrote: »
    he will not be a real success at Spurs. He may do ok for a few weeks, but anything more than that is incredibly unlikely.

You're really not that good at predicting how good managers will be, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

quarryman wrote: »

You know that it's still just a few weeks since Sherwood was appointed and Al made that statement don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

quarryman wrote: »

Haha. Did they put up a Tim Sherwood statute, yet? It's about time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then Tactics Tim, how's he doing?

His interview after the result today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Can anyone see him being around after the summer ? I can't.

Some of his selections in games have been baffling tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He blames the players & has a pop at the expectations of the board with the squad he has available to him. Takes no responsibility himself though...

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Dempsey wrote: »
    He blames the players & has a pop at the expectations of the board with the squad he has available to him. Takes no responsibility himself though...

The players were to blame. And his tactics were working till vertonghans mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ref killed it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

'I aint gonna forget about this by the time we get to the motorway'

'Have you told them what you think'

'Yeah, onto the next, that's the nature of the game'

That is a bad interview for me, some players will not respond well to that. Either ways Tim was never going to be there long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

'I aint gonna forget about this by the time we get to the motorway'

What motorway is he planning on hitting...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Is Jamie Redknapp his agent? Sherwood couldn't do a thing wrong according to him yesterday. It was embarrassing. There is clearly some sort of personal relationship between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Is Jamie Redknapp his agent? Sherwood couldn't do a thing wrong according to him yesterday. It was embarrassing. There is clearly some sort of personal relationship between them.

He's an associate of the Redknapp syndicate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Weird interview but he also seemed gutted. I guess he knows himself he won't be staying on now after that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

reading the spurs forum a lot of upset fans there understandably.

Looks like spurs are in a bit of a negative spiral perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

bad2dabone wrote: »
    reading the spurs forum a lot of upset fans there understandably.

Looks like spurs are in a bit of a negative spiral perhaps?

Don't tempt fate - that was us exactly 12 months ago !!

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Don't tempt fate - that was us exactly 12 months ago !!

true - forget i said it!!

(I just love that negative spiral guy got the sack!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

In fairness to Tim Sherwood he has done a good job since he became the manager of spurs . So I think some of the stick he gets is very harsh .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

In fairness to Tim Sherwood he has done a good job since he became the manager of spurs . So I think some of the stick he gets is very harsh .
    He really hasn't. He had the honeymoon period that most managers that come into a club with decent players mid-season get. He has blatantly been shown up as lacking tactical ability since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

BhUZfjBCQAA84qv.jpg

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He's an associate of the Redknapp syndicate.

I should have known

Sherwood-Car.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The club is a joke, I lived in London for short while and Spurs fans first priority is to be better than Arsenal. If arsenal finished 6th and they finished 5th it would be considered a great season.
    Levy hasn't got a clue, Spurs had a fantastic team under Redknapp but instead of going out buying established stars to add to a very good squad he wanted to pick up great deals he can flip and make a huge profit on, feeding his ego of the great business man he and the media thinks he is. Its a well run club financially but that's where the well run part ends.
    They absolutely wasted the Bale money and are now back to where they were before Redknapp took over.

A small time club and always will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

rob316 wrote: »
    The club is a joke, I lived in London for short while and Spurs fans first priority is to be better than Arsenal. If arsenal finished 6th and they finished 5th it would be considered a great season.
    Levy hasn't got a clue, Spurs had a fantastic team under Redknapp but instead of going out buying established stars to add to a very good squad he wanted to pick up great deals he can flip and make a huge profit on, feeding his ego of the great business man he and the media thinks he is. Its a well run club financially but that's where the well run part ends.
    They absolutely wasted the Bale money and are now back to where they were before Redknapp took over.

A small time club and always will be.

A small time club would be ecstatic to be 5 points clear of Man Utd.

Spurs may well be shoddy and circus like at times, but small time they are not. Arsenal are a great benchmark who achieved great things in the last 20 years. They are also our rivals. Wanting to finish ahead of them is nothing to apologise for.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Arsenal are a great benchmark who achieved great things in the last 20 years. They are also our rivals. Wanting to finish ahead of them is nothing to apologise for.

Likewise it’s massively importand for Arsenal to finish ahead of spurs (19 straight years if we do it again this year).
    Topping your local rivals means a lot – especially since spurs got so very close to toppling us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Spurs may well be shoddy and circus like at times, but small time they are not. Arsenal are a great benchmark who achieved great things in the last 20 years. They are also our rivals. Wanting to finish ahead of them is nothing to apologise for.

That is nothing to boast about united have been far and away the most underperforming team in the league this season.

I call them small time because they are historically and in recent times a selling club. Spurs has consistently sold there best players, while the profits have been handsome, stability is the key to success or bucket loads of money ala City, Chelsea which Spurs don't have.

They had there chance to crack the top 4 and be a mainstay but that is gone now and they won't get a chance for a while again imo. They had a manager the players believed in and delivered good football but Levy couldn't get along and pushed the reset button on something very special.

The sleeping giant of Liverpool is waking up now. They have the clout, size and it looks like the manager to consistently be in the Top 4 again and challenge for the league. Next season will be an almighty battle for the Top 4 between Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Man United and Liverpool.
    Teams like Tottenham and Everton will be left behind even further.

This all just my opinion though but I'm sure others will see it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A small time club might have an attitude that style of football is more important than results though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement