Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVB has been sacked, Sherwood appointed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Small time club??? haha. Yes we are so small time that we are in the top 6 clubs in England. Yes laugh at our situation now but to call us small time is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

CSF wrote: »
    He really hasn't. He had the honeymoon period that most managers that come into a club with decent players mid-season get. He has blatantly been shown up as lacking tactical ability since then.
    How can you say that its been a honemoon period? He has been in charge of them for 12 games and have showed great form, good enough to make the ECL if they keep it up. If they had played at the same level for the first 17 games of the season as they have since Sherwood has taken over they would currently be lying second in the table.

A lot of people are going off the deep end because of what happened against Chelsea which is ridiculous when you look at the two squads and the gap in class between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

eagle eye wrote: »
    good enough to make the ECL if they keep it up.

How'd you figure that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

How can you say that its been a honemoon period? He has been in charge of them for 12 games and have showed great form, good enough to make the ECL if they keep it up. If they had played at the same level for the first 17 games of the season as they have since Sherwood has taken over they would currently be lying second in the table.

A lot of people are going off the deep end because of what happened against Chelsea which is ridiculous when you look at the two squads and the gap in class between them.

They've lost 3 of their last 5 games despite not awfully difficult fixtures in that time. That would indicate poor recent form to me after the honeymoon period where they never looked that organised to begin with.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    How'd you figure that?
    Because 73 points has only once not been enough to make the ECL from the Premier League. Well fourth place I mean.

CSF wrote: »
    They've lost 3 of their last 5 games despite not awfully difficult fixtures in that time. That would indicate poor recent form to me after the honeymoon period where they never looked that organised to begin with.
    Your sample size is tiny, and the lost two and won three of their last five EPL games. Are you including the Dnipro games? That is a two legged affair and they won their way through it.

Because 73 points has only once not been enough to make the ECL from the Premier League. Well fourth place I mean.

They need 20 points from 27 to achieve that.

Liverpool and Arsenal only need 14 points from 30 to achieve 73 points as a comparison, both have far superior goal differences to Spurs too. It would need collapse from either team.

City are on 57 points but have 3 games in hand over Spurs.

I have a feeling the points total for 4th will be higher this year tbh, perhaps 75-76 points.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    They need 20 points from 27 to achieve that.

Liverpool and Arsenal only need 14 points from 30 to achieve 73 points as a comparison, both have far superior goal differences to Spurs too. It would need collapse from either team.

City are on 57 points but have 3 games in hand over Spurs.

I have a feeling the points total for 4th will be higher this year tbh, perhaps 75-76 points.
    Fair enough, but for if you averaged for a full season the games that Sherwood has been in charge for, it would leave Tottenham with 82 points. My point was that they have shown ECL qualification form under him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Your sample size is tiny, and the lost two and won three of their last five EPL games. Are you including the Dnipro games? That is a two legged affair and they won their way through it.

In fairness your sample size isn't that large either, to me it seems the initial bounce is over and when the pressure came on, he isn't good enough.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    In fairness your sample size isn't that large either, to me it seems the initial bounce is over and when the pressure came on, he isn't good enough.
    What are you basing that on? Two losses, one of which was to Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Last 5 games is what current form is usually based on which was what I was referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What are you basing that on? Two losses, one of which was to Chelsea?

Not on Europa cup, I'd say the majority of Spurs fans could live without it. They were 3 points behind Liverpool a couple of weeks ago.

I'm basing it on Norwich and Hull Away, worrying results considering they've the best away form in the league. Seems to be going pear shaped despite being in a very good position 5 games ago.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Not on Europa cup, I'd say the majority of Spurs fans could live without it. They were 3 points behind Liverpool a couple of weeks ago.

I'm basing it on Norwich and Hull Away, worrying results considering they've the best away form in the league. Seems to be going pear shaped despite being in a very good position 5 games ago.
    So you are going all the way back to the hull game and just dismissing the Newcastle game even though they beat Chelsea and drew with Liverpool?
    Also Hull beat Liverpool this season.

You really only have one game to talk about and that's the Norwich one and you realise just how ridiculous that is but you just want to save face I'd imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Silly getting into a debate with EE here. This is just the start of the unravelling. The case will be much stronger by season's end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

rob316 wrote: »
    I call them small time because they are historically and in recent times a selling club. Spurs has consistently sold there best players, while the profits have been handsome, stability is the key to success or bucket loads of money ala City, Chelsea which Spurs don't have.

Bale, Modric and Berbatov have now defined us as a small time club because they were sold.

Grand, well atleast I know that how big a club you are is decided on what players you sell.

Sure while we're at it lets call Arsenal a small club too.

RVP, Song, Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Adebayor, Kolo Toure, Thierry Henry

They were all sold to make a profit at a time when they were all reaching peak performances at the club (albeit Henry might have been on the downer but still it's Henry and he still had years of service left in him).

This whole "My club is a bigger club than your club" ****e needs to stop really.

Spurs have a decent history, not close to Arsenals albeit but a decent history having them joint 5th in England on total trophies won.

What defines the cut off of a big club? Is Manchester City a big club because they now have a stupid amount of cash? They've won 16 trophies in their history including since they were bought out.

Are we actually going in the direction of a club is only as big as the amount of money in their wallets? Because if that's the direction football is heading in, a pure business entity, I'm looking forward to not being part of it.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Silly getting into a debate with EE here. This is just the start of the unravelling. The case will be much stronger by season's end.
    Maybe their will be a strong case, and you'll claim to be Nostradamus!, but at this time there is nothing to talk about only how well Sherwood has done.

Sherwood is a smart guy, I know that from his time at Blackburn when he was Captain there, I remember how he forced his way out to go play for Spurs too. He is not my favourite person but I do believe he has what it takes to do a good job in management. To this point his results have suggested that I'm right to believe that, we'll see how it goes over the next couple of months and maybe years. If he does well enough to continue into next season then he might show more because he will have time to stamp his own authority on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Tim has looked out of his depth since he took over ,quite a few results went Spurs way against the run of play in the game (Utd & Everton to name just two).

It is only a matter of time before it unravels.

Maybe their will be a strong case, and you'll claim to be Nostradamus!, but at this time there is nothing to talk about only how well Sherwood has done.

Sherwood is a smart guy, I know that from his time at Blackburn when he was Captain there, I remember how he forced his way out to go play for Spurs too. He is not my favourite person but I do believe he has what it takes to do a good job in management. To this point his results have suggested that I'm right to believe that, we'll see how it goes over the next couple of months and maybe years. If he does well enough to continue into next season then he might show more because he will have time to stamp his own authority on things.

Spurs have obtained good results over his tenure to date. It's a small sample size, but you can't argue with the ppg rate. Those trying to argue with you on that score are being silly.

Now, I do feel there is an unravelling due. I don't think Sherwood has much in the locker tactically and I think he's been put in a very difficult position as interim manager. I fully expect their results to worsen between now and season's end. If he's smart, he'll prioritise the Europa League. The best thing he could do for himself is win a trophy and I think that group of players will sniff it if they get to the quarter final stage (and they're potentially good enough to win that competition).

I think it will be impossible for him to keep the job for long. Levy is probably working on a long term replacement for AVB as we speak. At the very least the sword will be dangling above his head through the early phase of next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You only have to look at Spurs line ups since he took over to know he is struggling.
    He's from the Harry Redknapp school of management, stick 11 good players on the field and tell them to "express" themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Whatever about avbs/sherwoods individual tactics and approaches to games still playing a high line with dawson in it is hillariously bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Morzadec wrote: »
    At the risk of being quoted later in the season and having a lot of egg on my face, I can only say this is a laughable and farcical appointment.

I said to a Spurs mate that is they appointed Hoddle they would be a laughing stock. I didn't think they'd go one better.

A manager with zero experience in the game. I would be pulling my hair out if I was a Spurs fan.

I can only call it as I see this and say that it is a shocking appointment, in every meaning of the word.

This is what I wrote about Sherwood when he was appointed.

I have to say he's had me eating my words to an extent.

He has achieved 2ppg which is CL qualifying form over the course of a whole season and kept them in Europa.

The 4-0 loss against Chelsea shouldn't be held against him too much when you consider they went down to 10 unfairly.

I believe Spurs would be in a worse position if they had stuck with AVB, so perhaps as a short term strategy it wasn't a bad call.

But long term I still have major doubts over him as a manager at the highest level. As has been mentioned he has shown a tactical naïveté at times, and at the highest level in big matches this can be costly. I thought his comments a few weeks ago where he said they could afford to lose 4 or 5 matches and still qualify for the CL showed a shocking level of ignorance about the quality of teams around him and the points totals relative to the matches ahead, and that would worry me as a Spurs fan - his overall savvyness and intelligence.

He does seem to be a good motivator, probably a good man manager. I can imagine him firing up his players and striking a good balance between non-nonsense and being likable. I can imagine he would be good at creating a good team spirit. Again it's hard to judge these things but it's the impression I've gotten watching Spurs and seeing his interviews.

So I think he might have that part of management down well. But like I said I do think there's question marks over his experience and know how at the top level, and I would still say that long term he will not be the answer to Spurs' problems. I think he could find success at a lower level (Championship?) in the future.

However Spurs are in a position now where they can really hone in on and prioritise the Europa league. If Sherwood could deliver that it would be a major achievement for both Spurs and him as a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Morzadec wrote: »
    This is what I wrote about Sherwood when he was appointed.

I have to say he's had me eating my words to an extent.

He has achieved 2ppg which is CL qualifying form over the course of a whole season and kept them in Europa.

The 4-0 loss against Chelsea shouldn't be held against him too much when you consider they went down to 10 unfairly.

I believe Spurs would be in a worse position if they had stuck with AVB, so perhaps as a short term strategy it wasn't a bad call.

But long term I still have major doubts over him as a manager at the highest level. As has been mentioned he has shown a tactical naïveté at times, and at the highest level in big matches this can be costly. I thought his comments a few weeks ago where he said they could afford to lose 4 or 5 matches and still qualify for the CL showed a shocking level of ignorance about the quality of teams around him and the points totals relative to the matches ahead, and that would worry me as a Spurs fan - his overall savvyness and intelligence.

He does seem to be a good motivator, probably a good man manager. I can imagine him firing up his players and striking a good balance between non-nonsense and being likable. I can imagine he would be good at creating a good team spirit. Again it's hard to judge these things but it's the impression I've gotten watching Spurs and seeing his interviews.

So I think he might have that part of management down well. But like I said I do think there's question marks over his experience and know how at the top level, and I would still say that long term he will not be the answer to Spurs' problems. I think he could find success at a lower level (Championship?) in the future.

However Spurs are in a position now where they can really hone in on and prioritise the Europa league. If Sherwood could deliver that it would be a major achievement for both Spurs and him as a manager.

Had the linesman done his job correctly Spurs would have been down to 10 men for pretty much all of the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Had the linesman done his job correctly Spurs would have been down to 10 men for pretty much all of the match.

Very true, although the FA have rescinded Kabouls red.

http://www.thefa.com/news/governance/2014/mar/kaboul-decision-upheld

1932450_10153944018535541_1422662258_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't think anyone was under the impression that AVB was sacked so Sherwood could take charge.

Certainly just terrible decision making all round - complete lack of any vision for the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

To think that Spurs overlooked the likes of Benitez before appointing AVB.

Madness.

Sherwood getting owned a little be Jorge Jesus tonight. Wonder will be give another cute little post match interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

showed great form, good enough to make the ECL if they keep it up.

if they make the CL they would be massacred.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Sherwood seems like a class act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Sherwood seems like a class act

Jorge Jesus pushing and barking at his own staff was fairly classless imo, never mind his gestures to Sherwood to wind him up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Ken Early brought it up there the other night,that what AVB was pillared for, the perceived slating of the players (We should be ashamed row with the Daly Mail), Sherwood has gotten away with (slating the players after the Chelsea game), with the blame being attributed to the mess Sherwood inherited by the Daily Mail. Disgraceful really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So pilloring his players in public didn't work. I wonder what Sherwood's next management master-stroke will be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

greendom wrote: »
    So pilloring his players in public didn't work. I wonder what Sherwood's next management master-stroke will be?

Should give head butting a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Hes only been in the job three months.

I think he was right in what he said after the chelsea match but he didnt get anywhere near the reaction he wanted. Why? Because hes only been in the job three months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

How can you say that its been a honemoon period? He has been in charge of them for 12 games and have showed great form, good enough to make the ECL if they keep it up.

Is that ECL the English Championship League?

MrKingsley wrote: »

I think he was right in what he said after the chelsea match but he didnt get anywhere near the reaction he wanted. Why? Because hes only been in the job three months

I'd struggle to think of another successful EPL manager who has said similar, I don't mean simply criticise players, but to question their commitment, attitude and professionalism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'd struggle to think of another successful EPL manager who has said similar, I don't mean simply criticise players, but to question their commitment, attitude and professionalism

Phil Brown at hull a few years ago... Worked out well from him.

*walks away whistling*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

AVB v Sherwood pic.

Thats like something out of North Korea Nightly News.
    AVBs games appear to be including the playoff for the Europa plus the 6 Europa group games against really poor opposition, and soft opposition in the early stages of the League Cup - basically a poor quality of opponent that you don't face when you get the managers gig for the second half of the season.

Well the first problem is that he is not a successful EPL manager. If he already had the confidence of all the players, which may come from being a successful manager, then theres probably no way hed say something like that.

He has every right to criticse them for their performance. The decision then comes as to whether it ins public or not.

If he does it in the press then hed want to be sure that hell get a response......which he certainly didnt tonight. He may learn as he goes on or he may just pop back onto the bench when the next man comes in.

Either way I think he was right to say what he did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He was right in what he said but it should have kept it in the changing room. It may have gone down well among certain supporters and sections of the media but it was disastrous in terms of his long-term relationship with his players. If he'd been lucky it might have had a short term effect, but it didn't even achieve that. Dead man walking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Godge wrote: »
    Is that ECL the English Championship League?

Christ we are bad, but lets not get out of hand here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

He was right in what he said but it should have kept it in the changing room. It may have gone down well among certain supporters and sections of the media but it was disastrous in terms of his long-term relationship with his players. If he'd been lucky it might have had a short term effect, but it didn't even achieve that. Dead man walking

Lack of experience showed here, he was probably correct in what he was saying, he seems to wear his heart on his sleeve - of course we all know that can bite you in the backside!

I get the feeling Sherwood initially thought that Spurs were better than they are when he first took over. So the hammer blow of results hurts worse.

Spurs paying the price of an appointment that was risky to say the least.

Well the first problem is that he is not a successful EPL manager. If he already had the confidence of all the players, which may come from being a successful manager, then theres probably no way hed say something like that.

He has every right to criticse them for their performance. The decision then comes as to whether it ins public or not.

If he does it in the press then hed want to be sure that hell get a response......which he certainly didnt tonight. He may learn as he goes on or he may just pop back onto the bench when the next man comes in.

Either way I think he was right to say what he did

I didn't mean to imply he was a successful manager, though I can see my post did read like that.

My point was I can't think of a single premier league manager who did something like Sherwood, yet was still successful.

While his sentiments may have been correct, in airing them publicly I believe he made a mistake. I don't think its a coincidence that no successful manager in the English league has done similar, so either Sherwood is a pioneer in the art of man-management, and Spurs are about to burst into form, or he made a mistake airing those views. I know which option I'd back

Hes been a dead man walking since he took over.

He said from the start that he didnt want an 'interim' appointment. This contract was the only way levy could make it look like he had something else up his sleeve......when clearly he didnt. but it bought him 6 more months

I didn't mean to imply he was a successful manager, though I can see my post did read like that.

My point was I can't think of a single premier league manager who did something like Sherwood, yet was still successful.

While his sentiments may have been correct, in airing them publicly I believe he made a mistake. I don't think its a coincidence that no successful manager in the English league has done similar, so either Sherwood is a pioneer in the art of man-management, and Spurs are about to burst into form, or he made a mistake airing those views. I know which option I'd back

And i would back the same one because he is not ready for full time management in a top league. Like i said earlier this is his 3rd month in the job. He tried to get a reaction and it failed miserably.

Im not trying to say that what he did was a good way of trying to get his players to perform.

Either way spurs are playing like crap and he probably thought that after AVB having a go at the fans hed try and do something different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Looking only at the league it's:

AVB
    16 Games
    1.69 Pts/game
    0.94 Avg scored
    1.31 Avg conceded
    50% Win rate
    31% Loss rate

Sherwood
    13 Games
    2 Pts/game
    1.69 Avg scored
    1.23 Avg conceded
    62% Win rate
    23% Loss rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

AVB, poo in the league, but pro in europe!
    Sherwood, poo in Europe. but pro in the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Rikand wrote: »
    AVB, poo in the league, but pro in europe!
    Sherwood, poo in Europe. but pro in the league!

So spurs = poo ?

Keno wrote: »

AVB
    16 Games
    1.69 Pts/game
    0.94 Avg scored
    1.31 Avg conceded
    50% Win rate
    31% Loss rate

Sherwood
    13 Games
    2 Pts/game
    1.69 Avg scored
    1.23 Avg conceded
    62% Win rate
    23% Loss rate

Bring back AvB for the Europa Cup games only I say and let Sherwood concentrate on the league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Keno wrote: »

AVB
    16 Games
    1.69 Pts/game
    0.94 Avg scored
    1.31 Avg conceded
    50% Win rate
    31% Loss rate

Sherwood
    13 Games
    2 Pts/game
    1.69 Avg scored
    1.23 Avg conceded
    62% Win rate
    23% Loss rate

To be fair to Sherwood, that is impressive league form - 2ppg. If they maintained that until seasons end there would be a decent argument for keeping him on, as they would end up on 71 points - a pretty good tally. Big 'if' though as there is a sense things might be turning against him

• Advertisement
Advertisement