Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVB has been sacked, Sherwood appointed

167891012»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

am I losing sleep over Spurs implosion ...No!

but do you know what fair fúcks to Tim Sherwood, and that is coming from someone who didnt think much of the guy a couple of months ago.

I dont subscribe to the muppetry tag that some like to put on the fella because it suits their joy at the way Spurs are struggling, but for me Sherwood is a breath of fresh air.

Professional footballers on 100's of thousands a week, that look like they couldn't be arsed are not above a good public rollicking.

Sherwood knows he aint going to be the longterm manager of Spurs, so why not call a spade a spade!?

If he stayed stum and just kept nodding then I am sure some would be on here saying the guy aint got a clue, but he is not, and I believe his current stance wont do his future job prospects any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Spurs' league record under Sherwood has been impressive, but I think the short-term results have masked some absolutely terrible performances. Their quality has shone through in the end in some games despite being outplayed for large stretches - Everton, Man United, Crystal Palace, but I think it's all starting to catch up with them now. I think they might finish behind Everton and United to be honest.

I'll definitely be hoping they keep Sherwood, but I can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

The game tomorrow will help give a better idea about Sherwoods ability as manager compared to many other games in his tenure so far imo.
    They haven't been convincing at all against the good sides,Getting shellacked by City and Chelsea and well outplayed by Arsenal.Victories against Southampton and United aren't as impressive for me as they would usually be.The Saints game was a fresh start with Adebayor out to prove himself and just a crazy game altogether.Winning at Utd is no great feat this season.

If he can set out his team right tomorrow and give Arsenal a good run for their money I'll be mightily impressed.I'm expecting an Arsenal win though.

I'll probably get murdered for this one but has anyone got a high regard for Paul Lambert in here?A bit of a convenient time to post it as he's just won a major game tonight but he seems to be getting the most out of a very limited squad,and has shown with Benteke he can deal with the want away egos.Probably needs another season to show he's capable though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

bradlente wrote: »
    The game tomorrow will help give a better idea about Sherwoods ability as manager compared to many other games in his tenure so far imo.
    They haven't been convincing at all against the good sides,Getting shellacked by City and Chelsea and well outplayed by Arsenal.Victories against Southampton and United aren't as impressive for me as they would usually be.The Saints game was a fresh start with Adebayor out to prove himself and just a crazy game altogether.Winning at Utd is no great feat this season.

If he can set out his team right tomorrow and give Arsenal a good run for their money I'll be mightily impressed.I'm expecting an Arsenal win though.

I'll probably get murdered for this one but has anyone got a high regard for Paul Lambert in here?A bit of a convenient time to post it as he's just won a major game tonight but he seems to be getting the most out of a very limited squad,and has shown with Benteke he can deal with the want away egos.Probably needs another season to show he's capable though

Getting the most out of a limited squad? Is that the only game of Villa's you've seen this season? Also the only reason Benteke is still there is because Spurs didnt bid enough for him, if they did he'd be there right now.

Corholio wrote: »
    Getting the most out of a limited squad? Is that the only game of Villa's you've seen this season? Also the only reason Benteke is still there is because Spurs didnt bid enough for him, if they did he'd be there right now.

Villa are 10th in the table,Name one side above them who they have a better squad than.

bradlente wrote: »
    Villa are 10th in the table,Name one side above them who they have a better squad than.

It was more the 'getting the most' out of bit I was questioning, the 'limited' squad includes a lot of players he bought that have been very poor. The team hasn't played a good 90 minutes all season, ok the team is more than likely safe now but he certainly ain't performing miracles or anything even close to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It was more the 'getting the most' out of bit I was questioning, the 'limited' squad includes a lot of players he bought that have been very poor. The team hasn't played a good 90 minutes all season, ok the team is more than likely safe now but he certainly ain't performing miracles or anything even close to that.

The league position suggests otherwise. He has done phenomenally well this season with a limited budget. Villa unfortunately don't have the capacity to sign proven quality and when you have to take risks with every transfer then some are gonna go wrong.

Okore the centre-back he signed has been injured all season.Luna and Bacuna came in at a combined 3 million and have been fairly average but the price reflects that.One of their best players in N'Zogbia hasn't played a minute all season.Kozak who was brought in for 7 million and had problems settling but wasn't that bad broke his leg at Christmas time.Talk about bad luck.
    I just think it's interesting how he's taken a side in a shambles and is trying to build them from the ground up.It seems like Spurs had this idea in the Summer but after mid-season it's all up in the air.They've had a generally good run since Sherwood took over and besides tomorrow and Liverpool have a very favourable run-in(Home to Villa on the last day).If they finish outside the top 6 it'd be a bit of a calamity.

CSF wrote: »
    The league position suggests otherwise. He has done phenomenally well this season with a limited budget. Villa unfortunately don't have the capacity to sign proven quality and when you have to take risks with every transfer then some are gonna go wrong.

He's done ok, but the last 2 results have masked a lot of the stuff that went before. I certainly wouldn't say he's done phenomenally well though, not once have I thought that this season. The summer is the time he'll be judged the most in his tenure IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I must have clicked into the Villa thread by accident!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Anyone hear Sherwood's interview after last night's game.

He's some clown. Bizarre appointment by Levy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Sherwood is just embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

The paddy power half time team talk from Sherwood was very good

"Score 4 goals you facking lemons"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sherwood is just embarrassing.

Not set out for management it seems.
    Throwing balls at opposition players, tearing off your clothes on the sideline, idiotic post match interviews. The players have been extremely poor but he has been really shown up with his tactics or lack of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Keep up the good work Tim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

rob316 wrote: »
    Not set out for management it seems.
    Throwing balls at opposition players, tearing off your clothes on the sideline, idiotic post match interviews. The players have been extremely poor but he has been really shown up with his tactics or lack of.

Don't forget sitting up in the stands only to run down to the touchline after a few minutes because "you can't get your message across from up there". So why did you sit up there then?

"We're gonna play 4-4-2". With Eriksen on the left wing :confused:
    Only to switch to different formations anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Anyone hear townsend and tyldesley saying he was a 'proper football man' and should get a crack at the job next season as well?

The idiotic english media backslapping is just as annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Agueroooo wrote: »
    If he stayed stum and just kept nodding

It certainly never helped Chris Hughton when push came to shove.

retalivity wrote: »
    Anyone hear townsend and tyldesley saying he was a 'proper football man' and should get a crack at the job next season as well?

The idiotic english media backslapping is just as annoying.

Id prefer the Itv pundits to BBC normally tbf but when you consider how the likes of Wenger gets hammered in the media its laughable to see Sherwood being praised for his 'honesty'. Ive never seen a manager as wet behind the ears.

But i hope they get their wish and Tiger Tim is kept on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

off the wires

http://www.theguardian.com/football/feedarticle/11283179
    LONDON, April 7 (Reuters) - Tottenham Hotspur's rapidly unravelling season took another twist on Monday with first team coach Tim Sherwood set to be replaced in the summer, according to media reports.
    The former England midfielder, a Premier League title winner with Blackburn Rovers, was handed an 18-month contract in December following the sacking of Andre Villas-Boas but results since have been inconsistent.
    Tottenham would not comment on Sky Sports report that the 45-year-old Sherwood would be relieved of his duties in the summer, although more light should be shed on the matter later when Spurs host Sunderland in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not surprising if true.

He needed an exceptional finish to the season to be kept on and from what I've seen so far he ain't up to much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

mike65 wrote: »

It's almost as if they think we didn't know!

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He needed an exceptional finish to the season to be kept on and from what I've seen so far he ain't up to much

Really?

sherwrnj5d.gif

Look at that sublime technique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You do have to have sympathy for Sherwood. Obviously out of his depth, but who wouldn't accept the chance if presented to them.

I hear a lot of the media in the UK saying that as he is young and English he should be given a chance. But surely, just like footballers, then need to show what they are capable of first. What evidence did he have that he would be any good. I think the FA (well football in general) should utilise the lower leagues to develop a managerial stream, much like players. Then, when and manager steps up the big job at least he has the fundamentals.

Wouldn't mean that they would be a success, but at least they would some basic understanding of the job requirements. I get the feeling that many ex-players think it will just like when they played.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You do have to have sympathy for Sherwood. Obviously out of his depth, but who wouldn't accept the chance if presented to them.

I'm not so sure about the sympathy part. Look at how Keith Downing or Garry Monk acted this season compared to Sherwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Leroy42 wrote: »

I hear a lot of the media in the UK saying that as he is young and English he should be given a chance. But surely, just like footballers, then need to show what they are capable of first. What evidence did he have that he would be any good. I think the FA (well football in general) should utilise the lower leagues to develop a managerial stream, much like players. Then, when and manager steps up the big job at least he has the fundamentals.

Wouldn't mean that they would be a success, but at least they would some basic understanding of the job requirements. I get the feeling that many ex-players think it will just like when they played.

Don't have any sympathy for him whatsoever.

He's an arrogant man who likes to talk the talk but cannot walk the walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He just reminds me of Roy Keane but worse and less talented.

Spurs are a piss poor team but he is clueless and has no idea how to conduct himself. Passion is fine but this is premier league, calm down.

He keeps picking this young lad Bentelab who isn't very good too like he has to prove there is "fantastic" players in the youth academy which he was in charge of.

A horrible character, hope he is there next season yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'd give a him a season or two in the championship to see how he gets on before saying he is that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I'd give a him a season or two in the championship to see how he gets on before saying he is that bad.
    Pity the Forest job isn't still available!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Spurs are a piss poor team but he is clueless and has no idea how to conduct himself. Passion is fine but this is premier league, calm down.

He keeps picking this young lad Bentelab who isn't very good too like he has to prove there is "fantastic" players in the youth academy which he was in charge of.

A horrible character, hope he is there next season yet.

Happy to say your wish will not come true and he will not be there next season. I am looking forward to having a proper manager who might get these talented players all playing as a team with a system that will push us forward.

Advertisement