Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVB has been sacked, Sherwood appointed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Lloris could do with with not getting caught in no mans land so often.

He stops a lot of goals by playing as he does. Take the Newcastle goal earlier in the season. If he's in goal instead of Friedel, he clears that ball (not that it was Friedel's fault either). That's what he gives you as well as being a great shot stopper. He also has to play like that a lot in an AVB system that relies very heavily on a high defensive line.

The fella is world class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I think the major problem seemed to be that a lot of the signings over the Summer seemed incompatible with AVB's playing style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Blatter wrote: »
    I think the major problem seemed to be that a lot of the signings over the Summer seemed incompatible with AVB's playing style.

Which is down entirely to Baldini who signed them all. Even yesterday AVB all but admitted that they weren't the players he wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    So what's the first thing the new manager does ? Get rid of that silly high line the defence plays ?

Nothing wrong with playing a high line, many of the best teams in the world play like that. Villas Boas just wasn't allowed to sign the right players and was left with ones that clearly didn't suit, and evidently AVB isn't a dynamic enough manager to succeed with players that don't suit him. I think he would have been a success if he had been allowed spend the Bale money himself though.

Are Soldado, Eriksen, Paulinho (granted he hasn't been bad), Lamela all about to turn into World Class players now? I have my doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Even yesterday AVB all but admitted that they weren't the players he wanted.
    AVB is getting like Woy in his bad old days at Liverpool. Blame the fans, blame the players, blame the medical staff, etc. It's always somebody else's fault.

• Advertisement

Which is down entirely to Baldini who signed them all. Even yesterday AVB all but admitted that they weren't the players he wanted.

I saw that but I'd be wary about believing him so quickly. He knew he was getting the sack so of course he's going to lead people to believe that he didn't agree with all of the signings.

AVB is getting like Woy in his bad old days at Liverpool. Blame the fans, blame the players, blame the medical staff, etc. It's always somebody else's fault.
    Seems like a legitimate enough complaint to me.

I saw that but I'd be wary about believing him so quickly. He knew he was getting the sack so of course he's going to lead people to believe that he didn't agree with all of the signings.
    They don't scream out as being his signings IMO. Many of them don't really suit his style of football.

AVB is getting like Woy in his bad old days at Liverpool. Blame the fans, blame the players, blame the medical staff, etc.

In fairness, if someone above you signs players that you don't want how's that good for the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

DeanAustin wrote: »
    He stops a lot of goals by playing as he does. Take the Newcastle goal earlier in the season. If he's in goal instead of Friedel, he clears that ball (not that it was Friedel's fault either). That's what he gives you as well as being a great shot stopper. He also has to play like that a lot in an AVB system that relies very heavily on a high defensive line.

The fella is world class.

He's an extremely good keeper and yes, his willingness to do the sweeper role is brilliant. However, I think he gets caught with a bit of indecision as to whether he should rush out in a 1v1 or stay back.

Take Liverpool's 4th yesterday. He comes out even though his defender is goal side. Coming out but not getting near Suarez gave Suarez a simple decision to chip the ball over him.

He didn't cover himself in glory for City's first. He didn't commit himself for city's second.

I don't think he's quite world class just yet but he's only in his late 20's yet isn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

In the interview after the game he claimed responsibility for the loss.

CSF wrote: »
    They don't scream out as being his signings IMO. Many of them don't really suit his style of football.

Maybe not. I'm shocked they didn't get a mobile CB in. Playing Dawson in a high line is just asking for a whole lot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Nothing wrong with playing a high line, many of the best teams in the world play like that. Villas Boas just wasn't allowed to sign the right players and was left with ones that clearly didn't suit, and evidently AVB isn't a dynamic enough manager to succeed with players that don't suit him. I think he would have been a success if he had been allowed spend the Bale money himself though.

Are Soldado, Eriksen, Paulinho (granted he hasn't been bad), Lamela all about to turn into World Class players now? I have my doubts.

AVB tried the same high line at Chelsea without the players to do it. He seems just to be a one trick pony infairness, if you dont have the players you have to change the system.

AVB tried the same high line at Chelsea without the players to do it. He seems just to be a one trick pony infairness, if you dont have the players you have to change the system.

I agree, whether they're his players or not, he's shown himself to be tactically inflexible.

As I said, I don't disagree with that. But he had the money to get the players and should have been allowed to do so, and had they done so I don't think we'd be having this discussion. I also think that if Guardiola had a batch of really direct players signed for him at Barca, I don't think the criticism would have been levelled in his direction as opposed to the club, whereas it has been at AVB.

Maybe not. I'm shocked they didn't get a mobile CB in. Playing Dawson in a high line is just asking for a whole lot of trouble.
    Well they did, Chiriches. If you've got Vertonghen and Chiriches as your CB partnership you're doing fine, he just wasn't able to sign defensive cover to suit his needs and had to persevere with Dawson.

And I don't understand why he didn't give Lamela a run in the team on the right wing.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Valencia just today both sacked their manager and have brand spanking new Billionaire owners.

Could he end up there?

Well they did, Chiriches. If you've got Vertonghen and Chiriches as your CB partnership you're doing fine, he just wasn't able to sign defensive cover to suit his needs and had to persevere with Dawson.

Has Chiriches been injured or something? I think Kaboul is a very good player as well but has a lot of injury problems.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Valencia just today both sacked their manager and have brand spanking new Billionaire owners.

Could he end up there?
    Yes he could. Hopefully he does.

• Advertisement

Has Chiriches been injured or something? I think Kaboul is a very good player as well but has a lot of injury problems.
    Yeah Chiriches has had a few minor injuries that has led to him missing a few games. Tottenham's first choice back 4 is fine, but they've had a bad run of injuries and don't have the appopriate cover to fix this, considering they've about 50 attacking midfielders and had ample funds to spend, you'd think the club would have sorted that for him if he wasn't going to be allowed do it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

As I said, I don't disagree with that. But he had the money to get the players and should have been allowed to do so, and had they done so I don't think we'd be having this discussion. I also think that if Guardiola had a batch of really direct players signed for him at Barca, I don't think the criticism would have been levelled in his direction as opposed to the club, whereas it has been at AVB.

To be fair I never really understood why you would buy players for a manager and then tell him to use them seems a little daft. But that being said at Chelsea he tried to play a high line with JT, now regardless what anyone thinks of JT as a person he is a good defender. To JT's credit he has never lost his pace, mainly because he never had any to begin with - how do you play a high line with a defender such as JT.

As an example one totally miserable October day during the reign of AVB we welcomed Arsenal to the Bridge, in their ranks they had Walcott and RVP. We played a high line with Ivan and JT as centre backs - against Walcott & RVP, we shipped 5.

That being said I did feel sympathy for AVB at Chelsea Roman doshed out ST£5m to buy him out of his contract at Porto which I am sure turned his head just a tad. I have no idea what his terms of reference were but you do get the feeling the goalposts changed.

I don't think criticising the Spurs supporters in the manner that he did helped him either, never a wise thing to do.

I don't think criticising the Spurs supporters in the manner that he did helped him either, never a wise thing to do.

never wise but refreshing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

He is a one trick pony as you said .
    He got very lucky at Porto who had a good squad tailor made for his sole style of play.
    He seems to be quite confrontational and unable to deal with established/egotistical players.

To be honest his sacking was only a matter of time once Spurs lost their mind and tried to buy a whole new team in one summer.
    That has never worked and will never work.

Not only did they buy a lorry load of new players,none of them had any Premier league experience and only a couple spoke English.
    They should have bought 3-4 players at most ,the squad only barely missed out on the top 4 so it needed slight improvement not a complete overhaul.

AVB has made a nice few pound from his sojourn to the UK ,I dodnt think we will see him back in the Uk again,his style of play is better suited to the continent.

To be fair I never really understood why you would buy players for a manager and then tell him to use them seems a little daft. But that being said at Chelsea he tried to play a high line with JT, now regardless what anyone thinks of JT as a person he is a good defender. To JT's credit he has never lost his pace, mainly because he never had any to begin with - how do you play a high line with a defender such as JT.

As an example one totally miserable October day during the reign of AVB we welcomed Arsenal to the Bridge, in their ranks they had Walcott and RVP. We played a high line with Ivan and JT as centre backs - against Walcott & RVP, we shipped 5.

That being said I did feel sympathy for AVB at Chelsea Roman doshed out ST£5m to buy him out of his contract at Porto which I am sure turned his head just a tad. I have no idea what his terms of reference were but you do get the feeling the goalposts changed.
    I don't think AVB is an experienced enough manager to play a completely alien style of football to his own, at least not at the very top level. It was Abramovich that wanted to play that style of football. Terry was surely an inevitable casualty of that. An alternative to signing AVB for Chelsea would have been to sign a manager who suited the players in the squad. AVB and Chelsea just wasn't a fit. AVB and Tottenham should have been only for bad running of the club by a man who gets lauded as being this great thing that he blatantly isn't.

He is a one trick pony as you said .
    He got very lucky at Porto who had a good squad tailor made for his sole style of play.
    He seems to be quite confrontational and unable to deal with established/egotistical players.

To be honest his sacking was only a matter of time once Spurs lost their mind and tried to buy a whole new team in one summer.
    That has never worked and will never work.

Not only did they buy a lorry load of new players,none of them had any Premier league experience and only a couple spoke English.
    They should have bought 3-4 players at most ,the squad only barely missed out on the top 4 so it needed slight improvement not a complete overhaul.

AVB has made a nice few pound from his sojourn to the UK ,I dodnt think we will see him back in the Uk again,his style of play is better suited to the continent.
    I don't see the issue with AVB having this style of play. There are certain clubs it won't work for, but there are plenty out there that if given control over all aspects of the footballing side, AVB would be a great success for using his style of football.

I mean if you look at most Premiership managers barring a select few (mostly the younger managers actually), they're just as much one trick ponies on the opposite end of the spectrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

You cannot win when you criticise fans even lightly. It must be tempting for all managers, and even if they are right, it's a loss every time and it looks bad.

I don't actually remember him doing it, just the media. What did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Refreshing?! God forbid they weren't happy with a team that has scored 7 goals in 8 home games!

Finding it amusing that people have gone from whacking off over Levy to calling for his head in the space of 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Spurs is a classic example of a lack of professionalism by so called professionals from the boardroom right down to the pitch.

Don't care what happens to them but I wouldn't like to see someone like Laudrup ending up there, he has too much class as both a manager and person for that joke of a club. Thankfully he'd never take the job.

AdamD wrote: »
    Refreshing?! God forbid they weren't happy with a team that has scored 7 goals in 8 home games!

Finding it amusing that people have gone from whacking off over Levy to calling for his head in the space of 3 months.

Disgusted_meme_face.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Zola gone from watford too!

AdamD wrote: »

classic case of style over substance.

Spurs in for a shout in every target they set themselves at the start of the season.

might not be pretty but they are well in the mix.

All that happened yesterday in that Levys ego took a bashing, and he took it out on the first team manager.

needs to look in the mirror and his DOF more closely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Redknapp despite not being as sophisticated as Villas Boas is the better manager by far and they should of kept him.

Redknapp despite not being as sophisticated as Villas Boas is the better manager by far and they should of kept him.

I think Redknapp had taken Spurs as far as he could tbh.

• Advertisement

I remain unconvinced of this.

klose wrote: »
    Zola gone from watford too!

Hoddle's assistant nailed on.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think Redknapp had taken Spurs as far as he could tbh.

He finished 4th, 5th and 4th. I think he'd taken Tottenham as far as anyone realistically could.

Where do Spurs expect to finish? Chelsea and City have much more money while United and Arsenal had 14 years worth of experience and more resources than Old Saggy Chops. Finishing ahead of any of them (and Liverpool and Everton) was a massive achievement.

Spurs don't have the resources to consistently finish ahead of any of City, United, Chelsea and Arsenal consistently.

Harry, as much as I think he's a Del Trotter type, should never have been sacked. He was a brilliant manager for Spurs and that's from someone who doesn't like him and didn't want him to begin with.

Ooooof i dunno now

Didn't realise that White Hart Lane only has a capacity of 36,000. Wonder how their finances are.

• Advertisement

Hoddle's assistant nailed on.

:D

That duncan castles lad has said tim sherwood will be the interim manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Unfortunately, an attitude like this will make the Spurs job extremely difficult. You need to be in the top four working towards a title challenge AND playing the beautiful football.

Dawson
    Walker
    Goalkeeper (Lloris + Friedel)
    Naughton
    Defoe
    Lennon
    Rose
    Kaboul
    Townsend

have 144 appearances between them thus far this season. That's a lot of gametime for players not good enough to partake in a title challenge imo.

Lloris is a top class keeper?? Lennon and Kaboul are fantastic players, Townsend is a kid with a lot of potential as has Rose. Walker we could do better but there arent that many better right backs in the league. Dawson is a good squad player but I would have him behind Verts, Kaboul, Vlad. Defoe and Naughton as I said should be off.

Lloris
    Vertonghen
    Kaboul
    Chiriches
    Walker
    Rose
    Sandro
    Dembele
    Capoue
    Paulinhio
    Holtby
    Eriksen
    Sigurdson
    Lamela
    Lennon
    Chadli
    Townsend
    Soldado
    Adebayor

That is a fantastic squad of players and with the right manager and a couple of shrewd additions should be in and around the top of the table.

Playboy wrote: »
    Lloris is a top class keeper?? Lennon and Kaboul are fantastic players, Townsend is a kid with a lot of potential as has Rose. Walker we could do better but there arent that many better right backs in the league. Dawson is a good squad player but I would have him behind Verts, Kaboul, Vlad. Defoe and Naughton as I said should be off.

Lloris
    Vertonghen
    Kaboul
    Chiriches
    Walker
    Rose
    Sandro
    Dembele
    Capoue
    Paulinhio
    Holtby
    Eriksen
    Sigurdson
    Lamela
    Lennon
    Chadli
    Townsend
    Soldado
    Adebayor

That is a fantastic squad of players and with the right manager and a couple of shrewd additions should be in and around the top of the table.
    Can't agree with that. How many of those players would make the City team? Vertonghen. Maybe Lloris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Didn't realise that White Hart Lane only has a capacity of 36,000. Wonder how their finances are.

Seems bigger on the telly. If that makes any sense.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

At Chelsea Id take Sandro and Vertonghen, i dont think Walker is good enough and the rest arent much of an inprovement over what we got currently, you could probably say the same for City Utd Arsenal Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I'd like to see Spurs install a club legend as manager with Steve Clarke as his number 2. Maybe even bring back Gerry Francis, if he still has a mullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

GavRedKing wrote: »
    At Chelsea Id take Sandro and Vertonghen, i dont think Walker is good enough and the rest arent much of an inprovement over what we got currently, you could probably say the same for City Utd Arsenal Liverpool

Sandro would be the one Spurs player I'd really want at Chelsea. Brilliant player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I see Hoddle has been mentioned. I actually think he's a pretty decent manager, but he's out of the game for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Spurs have consistently sold there best players for years and replaced them with squad players, and I rate very little of there new signings.
    Sandro and Vertonghen I would take to Liverpool in a heartbeat but other than that I don't see much star quality there.
    If there ambition is to win the league or be a top 4 team then why sell Bale, Modric, Berbatov, VDV over the last few years?

A small time club who will be forever in the shadow of Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Levy should go too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement