Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVB has been sacked, Sherwood appointed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CSF wrote: »
    He has had plenty of chances, so his finishing hasn't been upto scratch, and with 3 attacking midfielders behind him, he hasn't been short of players for link-up play. He has had lots of chances up there, the hattrick game was about the only good performance I've seen him put in. He has been truly awful. He has been great in the past but has put in some pathetic performances for Spurs

We'll disagree then. Attacking midfielders who like to keep taking shots. I'm not saying he's been very good or anything, just that there's a lot more reason why than just his own performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Corholio wrote: »
    We'll disagree then. Attacking midfielders who like to keep taking shots. I'm not saying he's been very good or anything, just that there's a lot more reason why than just his own performances.
    He was up there with Eriksen for quite a while who is about as creative as they come. The chap just hasn't cut it. 1 goal from open play in the league isn't it? Shocking. I'd love to see some shots per goal stats on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

He has had plenty of chances, so his finishing hasn't been upto scratch, and with 3 attacking midfielders behind him, he hasn't been short of players for link-up play. He has had lots of chances up there, the hattrick game was about the only good performance I've seen him put in. He has been truly awful. He has been great in the past but has put in some pathetic performances for Spurs

Maybe Spurs would have the striker they needed if VB had some balls and asked for the striker he wanted for his system instead of asking for a DOF to go get him players.

Maybe Spurs would have the striker they needed if VB had some balls and asked for the striker he wanted for his system instead of asking for a DOF to go get him players.
    You keep repeating that but it isn't any more poignant than it was the first time you said it. This is a common way of running a football club, operated successfully at clubs far more successful than Spurs involving managers that nobody would consider mocking as lacking balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think you might be overrating Soldado there, has looked muck at all times since he joined Spurs and I don't see how you'd blame AVB specifically for that, (as much as he has to take responsibility for the results) the chap has just been really poor.

Soldado had a career before coming to Spurs you know

He has scored goals all through his career

He is not suited to being a lone striker, isolated as he has been. But he is a very good goalscorer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He had apparently come in to work today with Christmas presents for the staff. I hope he kept the receipts!

AdamD wrote: »
    Why do I keep reading this?! He played up front on his own for Valencia, he was never going to be playing in a 2 striker system.

Do you really not know the difference in Valencias system/set up and Spurs?

He was up there with Eriksen for quite a while who is about as creative as they come. The chap just hasn't cut it. 1 goal from open play in the league isn't it? Shocking. I'd love to see some shots per goal stats on him.

Are you doubting the class of Soldado

Or

Are you just saying he isn't working out at Spurs/English football/under AVB (or whatever)

kryogen wrote: »

Or

Are you just saying he isn't working out at Spurs/English football/under AVB (or whatever)

He was very good at Valencia. Might be too early to say still but my guess is that the increased tempo of English football has found him wanting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Depends on what class you put him in. A good goalscorer in Spain, where there's regularly 5 and 6 players breaking 20 goals and loads of others in the late teens. I'd have him at least a notch below the best strikers in the world. Top 20 maybe.

I wouldn't be building a team around him, put it that way.

• Advertisement

He was very good at Valencia. Might be too early to say still but my guess is that the increased tempo of English football has found him wanting.

He is new to the league, new country and he has been isolated and not utilised properly at all (imo) given time and support he would flourish I feel. Too early to judge a lot of the players brought in this season tbf

I take your point and its a valid question, the league simply might not suit him, time will tell maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Soldado's in the same bracket as Giroud, good player but not good enough to lead a top 4 side's attack by himself.

Depends on what class you put him in. A good goalscorer in Spain, where there's regularly 5 and 6 players breaking 20 goals and loads of others in the late teens. I'd have him at least a notch below the best strikers in the world. Top 20 maybe.

Doubt he is top 20. Messi, Suarez, Aguero, Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski, Giroud, Higuain, Lukaku, Van Persie, Rooney, Mandzukic, Cavani, Sturridge, Costa, Falcao, Benzema, Negredo, Gomez, Balotelli, Tevez. There are 20 better than him IMO (in no real order) and I think others could name more. Decent striker but not bordering world class at the same time.

You keep repeating that but it isn't any more poignant than it was the first time you said it. This is a common way of running a football club, operated successfully at clubs far more successful than Spurs involving managers that nobody would consider mocking as lacking balls.

It was his choice to ask for a DOF to buy his players.

I won't feel sorry for him being sacked because someone picked the wrong players for his system.

He should of picked them himself.

K4t wrote: »
    Soldado's in the same bracket as Giroud, good player but not good enough to lead a top 4 side's attack by himself.

Giroud is far superior IMO. His contribution to the team outside of just scoring goals is often overlooked.

It was his choice to ask for a DOF to buy his players.

I won't feel sorry for him being sacked because someone picked the wrong players for his system.

He should of picked them himself.

Ok.

Soldado is a very good goalscorer.

I wouldn't build a team around him either, but I would utilise him as best I could if he was my main striker.

Now, you should take out Messi and Ronaldo as they are freaks, surely?

Other then that in the 2012/13 season the players ahead of him on the scoring charts were Falcao (touted as the best in the world by some) on 28 goals which was phenomenal and Negredo on 25. Soldado finished with 24

He scored the first goal on 11 occasions, more then any other. Highlighted as the first goal of a game is obviously a big moment

No other striker broke 20 goals, only 3 made it past 15. Higuain (16) Piti (18) and Ruben Castro (18)

He was certainly in the top echelon in Spain. He could be a super player for Spurs if they use him correctly, Negredo is finding his feet at City and there is no reason on a technical level that Soldado can not succeed at Spurs. He has the pedigree.........................................................

I lost my train of thought totally

Doubt he is top 20. Messi, Suarez, Aguero, Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski, Giroud, Higuain, Lukaku, Van Persie, Rooney, Mandzukic, Cavani, Sturridge, Costa, Falcao, Benzema, Negredo, Gomez, Balotelli, Tevez. There are 20 better than him IMO (in no real order) and I think others could name more. Decent striker but not bordering world class at the same time.

VB should of asked for one of them so.

Soldado is a very good goalscorer.

I wouldn't build a team around him either, but I would utilise him as best I could if he was my main striker.

Now, you should take out Messi and Ronaldo as they are freaks, surely?

Other then that in the 2012/13 season the players ahead of him on the scoring charts were Falcao (touted as the best in the world by some) on 28 goals which was phenomenal and Negredo on 25. Soldado finished with 24

He scored the first goal on 11 occasions, more then any other. Highlighted as the first goal of a game is obviously a big moment

No other striker broke 20 goals, only 3 made it past 15. Higuain (16) Piti (18) and Ruben Castro (18)

He was certainly in the top echelon in Spain. He could be a super player for Spurs if they use him correctly, Negredo is finding his feet at City and there is no reason on a technical level that Soldado can not succeed at Spurs. He has the pedigree.........................................................

I lost my train of thought totally
    When you have Piti and Ruben Castro on 18 I think your stats might actually be proving the OP's point rather than disproving it.

• Advertisement

While I would disagree with some of your choices I would agree with the main point that he would be doing well to make my top 20 anyway

Playboy wrote: »
    Walker we could do better but there arent that many better right backs in the league.
    Rafael
    Zabaleta
    Sagna
    Coleman
    Ivanovic
    Clyne
    Debuchy
    Johnson

Jenkins

Walker

Giroud is far superior IMO. His contribution to the team outside of just scoring goals is often overlooked.
    He is a good target man alright and his flicks are brilliant, but in general they're on the same level, one below the likes of RVP, Aguero and Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

AdamD wrote: »
    Why do I keep reading this?! He played up front on his own for Valencia, he was never going to be playing in a 2 striker system.

He partnered Adruiz up front for a good chunk of their time together at Valencia a few seasons back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

600663_621782424549130_932547992_n.jpg

Tottenham have a new manager tonight .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I definitely think Soldado is a better striker than some are giving him credit for. With the proper support he'll be lethal for Spurs, I've no doubts about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I definitely think Soldado is a better striker than some are giving him credit for. With the proper support he'll be lethal for Spurs, I've no doubts about that.

Doesn't really seem like a striker who'll create chances for himself so really needs good service to be effective. Which he definitely isn't getting so far.

Just saw AVB win ratio, best ever for a Spurs manager! In the league only he has a 54% win ratio

Really could have given him a bit longer it leads you to believe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

What do you think are the players he brought in good players?

Did VB get the most out of them in his system?

How can you possibly tell in just 16 games?

dfx- wrote: »
    How can you possibly tell in just 16 games?

That Soldado doesn't suit the system he wants to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Just heard Lord Sugar on Radio 1 saying that he deserved to go for wasting £100m during the summer, you would think that he is aware of how things actually work with the DOF. If the manager goes, the DOF should go. Would like to see Hoddle get the job again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Just heard Lord Sugar on Radio 1 saying that he deserved to go for wasting £100m during the summer, you would think that he is aware of how things actually work with the DOF. If the manager goes, the DOF should go. Would like to see Hoddle get the job again.

Good point on Sugar albeit I don't believe the DoF should automatically go.

You would also think that after some of the **** he allowed to be signed that he would be a little bit more aware of how these things can work. Not a Sugar hater but he has been a classless c**t when it comes to AVB over the last while and I say this as someone who agrees with Levy's decision.

Sugar is also in cloud cuckoo land because his suggestion to replace AVB was Fergie. F**kwit.

I don't know which player you've been watching but the one I've seen looks like a total dudd to be honest. Obviously could be wrong that's just what I've observed so far anyway

Soldado is being severely underrated on here IMO. The man is a machine. A 1 in 2 record throughout his career and he has 9 in 17 for Spurs so far.

I would cut him a bit of slack considering a) Spurs have used him completely wrong and b) he's trying to settle in a new country while his wife has had a miscarriage last month. It can't be easy for him.

He'll prove to be a top signing over the years.

Paully D wrote: »
    Soldado is being severely underrated on here IMO. The man is a machine. A 1 in 2 record throughout his career and he has 9 in 17 for Spurs so far.

I would cut him a bit of slack considering a) Spurs have used him completely wrong and b) he's trying to settle in a new country while his wife has had a miscarriage last month. It can't be easy for him.

He'll prove to be a top signing over the years.
    1 goal from open play in the Premiership this season. Whether people are underrating him or not, the man is definitely not a machine.

He's a penalty machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He's good at shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I hope the same people saying Levy pulled the trigger too soon on AVB aren't having a pop at Soldado.

Give the fella a chance. New league, new culture, team aren't very fluid going forward and his wife had a miscarriage. He's scored a few too. Henry took 8 games before he scored for Arsenal and he turned into one of the best players of the last 20 years. IIRC, Berbatov didn't exactly hit the ground running for us either. I realise Soldado isn't at that level but give him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

1 goal from open play in the Premiership this season. Whether people are underrating him or not, the man is definitely not a machine.

+ 1

One goal from open play in the league is pitiful, Marouane Chamakh and Welbeck have a better return and you cant say they have been playing in less struggling teams. I remember when ye signed him there was uproar in the Liverpool thread, loads banging on about how much better than sturridge he is. Looks a limited player to me, if he doesn't score goals he cant do much else, and the goals have been few and far between so far.

Spurs have blown there shot of cracking the top 4. If Liverpool can get back in the season then Spurs have a huge battle at trying to get in for the next few seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

I get the impression that a large part of the reason he has been sacked is because he is not particularly charismatic or likable. Obviously the two bad beatings haven't helped but as others have pointed out Spurs are still doing ok sitting two points ahead of the champions and 5 points off a champions league spot.

Silly decision in my opinion. I can see them really struggle for the next couple of months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I hope the same people saying Levy pulled the trigger too soon on AVB aren't having a pop at Soldado.

Give the fella a chance. New league, new culture, team aren't very fluid going forward and his wife had a miscarriage. He's scored a few too. Henry took 8 games before he scored for Arsenal and he turned into one of the best players of the last 20 years. IIRC, Berbatov didn't exactly hit the ground running for us either. I realise Soldado isn't at that level but give him a chance.

Last season Soldado played nine games against PSG, Bayern, Barca and Real Madrid and scored exactly zero goals in those nine matches.

Sure he scored goals against La Liga cannon fodder but even Carlos Vela can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't get why he was sacked at all.

If they had a manager lined up like Southampton did, that would make sense but to sack AVB just to go into the unknown is crazy.

I mean what was the worst case scenario with AVB and what's the best they can hope for now?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He's a penalty machine

It didn't do Alan Shearer any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

600663_621782424549130_932547992_n.jpg

Tottenham have a new manager tonight .

AVBean:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

anyone think if Hoddle gets the job that he'll play all the foreigners and buy more of em if hes allowed instead of developin the young english players like he wants to do with the fa. wonder would he stick to it if he had the day to day runnin of a club where results are more important than whether or not theres english players on the field??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I don't get why Hoddle is being considered so highly for the job.

"I've an idea,Lets get the guy we sacked ten years who wasn't good enough at the time and has done sweet ****all since then."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Hoddle won't get the job.

Paully D wrote: »
    It didn't do Alan Shearer any harm.

Shearer was a fantastic CF regardless of how many pens he scored

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Shearer was a fantastic CF regardless of how many pens he scored

And so is Soldado regardless of how he has started out at Spurs, he has been one of the best strikers in Spain over the last 10 years. Anyone who thinks he is a dud clearly knows very little about the game.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    And so is Soldado regardless of how he has started out at Spurs, he has been one of the best strikers in Spain over the last 10 years. Anyone who thinks he is a dud clearly knows very little about the game.

I imagine most people are just looking at his record for Spurs. It's not a given he'll succeed in the premiership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I imagine most people are just looking at his record for Spurs. It's not a given he'll succeed in the premiership

Better players, with greater records have been duds in the EPL.

Advertisement