Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVB has been sacked, Sherwood appointed

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

YayaBanana wrote: »
    And so is Soldado regardless of how he has started out at Spurs, he has been one of the best strikers in Spain over the last 10 years. Anyone who thinks he is a dud clearly knows very little about the game.

He is far from a dud (yet) but as rarnes said there is no guarantees.

I have posted before how a Valencia (fanatic) friend of mine was not too upset when they sold him to Spurs.

Basically said he is very hot&cold type player with the good games becoming more scarce for Valencia, and the fee they got was more that enough taking all into account.

time will tell but the PL is a much tougher stage to perform on than La Liga. (bar the current top3)

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Better players, with greater records have been duds in the EPL.

Yeah exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Yeah exactly

Its a tough league to ply your trade, especially as a CF.

I wouldnt write him off just yet though, even guys like Henry and Drogba struggled early in their EPL careers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Daniel Levi sacked Redknapp and appointed AVB so maybe Spurs should question if Levi is the right man to appoint the next manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its a tough league to ply your trade, especially as a CF.

I wouldnt write him off just yet though, even guys like Henry and Drogba struggled early in their EPL careers.
    The problem is when you spend 26m on a 28 year old, the leeway for adaptation time isn't very big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the problem for Spurs , is ther is no ideal candidate to replace AVB - they want to go the next level , and ther is no one currently available - the only one I can see who could do that is Fergie - and thats an outside bet at best , nevermind the age factor

West Brom will have better choices , with all the rubbish going on at Cardiff, Malkay Mackay could be a possibility here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Trapp ftw :pac:

If Capello is available they should go for him. Whether Capello would go to Spurs is another question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Capello is available they should go for him. Whether Capello would go to Spurs is another question

Capello would get run out of town by their fanbase unless he won the league within two years. They simply will not accept tactical and defensive football, results be damned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

They'll have to wait until the summer I suspect to get anyone decent, which makes the mid season sacking all the more rash. It's a tough job as a caretaker, if you are not successful your reputation is in tatters and likely the next guy in gets rid of you to make a point and set up his own team, even if you are successful you might just make the club more appealing to a big name, it's unusual that the board will stick with you. Pre-xmas is a daft time to sack a coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Capello would get run out of town by their fanbase unless he won the league within two years. They simply will not accept tactical and defensive football, results be damned.
    Spot on. They are definitely not a good match. Could see Laudrup being a popular choice. Not sure why Hoddle is being mentioned so much. Seems an awfully risky choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lets get Ossie back in Diamond Formation FTW :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Pighead wrote: »
    Spot on. They are definitely not a good match. Could see Laudrup being a popular choice. Not sure why Hoddle is being mentioned so much. Seems an awfully risky choice.

Tim Sherwood is the clear favorite atm, that looks just as risky!

If I was a Spurs fan Laudrup would be my choice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Daniel Levi sacked Redknapp
    It's funny. There was no outcry when Redknapp was sacked despite the fact he had Spurs finishing in 4th, 5th and 4th in his three full seasons at Spurs. If Devy has ever went wrong, it was in sacking Redknapp in the first place. Why sack the manager of a team that is performing above expectations and showing decent improvement?

Lets get Ossie back in Diamond Formation FTW :)

The 4-0-6 formation made for some entertaining games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

It's funny. There was no outcry when Redknapp was sacked despite the fact he had Spurs finishing in 4th, 5th and 4th in his three full seasons at Spurs. If Devy has ever went wrong, it was in sacking Redknapp in the first place. Why sack the manager of a team that is performing above expectations and showing decent improvement?

because he was at SSN more than he was at White Harte Lane

Pighead wrote: »

Laudrup would be an ideal choice - not sure though if he would leave Swansea for Spurs - Pochatinno from Southampton is being mentioned - again , not sure he would leave stability at Sotuhampton for Spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Bielsa is out of work, probably won't be considered but he took Athletic to an extra level getting them to a Europa League final and Copa final. Forward thinking manager, bit mental but would be a good choice in my opinion. Odds of 40/1 probably suggests he isn't being considered.

When was the last time Spurs won the league. I don't get why they wouldn't accept a different style if it meant they were more successful ?

When was the last time Spurs won the league. I don't get why they wouldn't accept a different style if it meant they were more successful ?

'61, apparently they won it in style , playing the right way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spurs have long had a bee in their bonnet about the game being an entertainment, sure winning is nice but not while sending everyone to sleep - that was what killed AVB as much as the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Blatter wrote: »

Pochettino wouldn't be a bad option either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Bielsa is out of work, probably won't be considered but he took Athletic to an extra level getting them to a Europa League final and Copa final. Forward thinking manager, bit mental but would be a good choice in my opinion. Odds of 40/1 probably suggests he isn't being considered.

A couple of outsiders like him,Hiddink and Rijkaard would be interesting.

I'd question Capello being appointed now.He's been out of club management for six years.Great record but why would Spurs be the "right" club for him to come back?He's the only really proven guy in the list of main runners though,So they might have to put their money where their mouth is and stump up the cash.

Ideal scenario would be Sherwood until Summer and somehow manage to lure Simeone over.

They are currently happy to have ousted a manager with a 50%+ winrate...

Hold on, is Tim Sherwood favourite for the permanent position??

If so that's pretty mental considering he has no experience.

Fingers crossed it's true and he gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Blatter wrote: »

Wow, didn't realise Sherwood was even in the running for the job on a permanent basis. Suppose they'll probably see how he gets on over the next four or five games and consider all options after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

when its put like that, you have to wonder.

I mean, I'm all for ambition, but what do spurs' board expect? the title?
    they haven't won the league for 52 years, they haven't finished above their biggest rivals since 1995, and yet the board sack the manager who got them a record points haul last year, and has them 2 points above the reigning champs.
    Spending 100m guarantees you nothing.

Surely they could have given him till the end of the season to get the players to gel, and then pull the trigger if they wanted to, there'll be a few big managers available then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Why would Simeone leave Atletico Madrid to go to Spurs? His side are challenging for La Liga. If he finishes above Barca or Real Madrid he'll have a lot bigger offers than Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

bad2dabone wrote: »
    when its put like that, you have to wonder.

I mean, I'm all for ambition, but what do spurs' board expect? the title?
    they haven't won the league for 52 years, they haven't finished above their biggest rivals since 1995, and yet the board sack the manager who got them a record points haul last year, and has them 2 points above the reigning champs.
    Spending 100m guarantees you nothing.

Surely they could have given him till the end of the season to get the players to gel, and then pull the trigger if they wanted to, there'll be a few big managers available then.

It's more about who the chairman Levy wants to play in the team AVB didn't want to play the likes of Adebayor who I think is on 160K a week so AVB wouldn't accept Levy interfering with team selection, I'm sure we will see some of the outcasts brought into the team under Sherwood so it's really Levy who'll be calling the shots Sherwood won't disagree with his employer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He's back!

BbyfKQRIIAEQGth.jpg

Paully D wrote: »
    He's back!

BbyfKQRIIAEQGth.jpg

after that twitter insult to his club , wonder what kind of welcome back he'll get ?

Personally I think it is an insult to Spurs, and football in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

thebaz wrote: »
    after that twitter insult to his club , wonder what kind of welcome back he'll get ?

Personally I think it is an insult to Spurs, and football in general.

I was referring to Villas-Boas :pac: but yeah, that is ridiculous too. If he scores, all will be forgotten such is the fickle nature of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Paully D wrote: »
    I was referring to Villas-Boas :pac: but yeah, that is ridiculous too. If he scores, all will be forgotten such is the fickle nature of football.

One can have little sympathy for spurs re Adeboyer. At both Arsenal and City, he played brilliantly to earn a move /big contract only to sit back once he had signed the big deal. On loan at spurs he pulled the same stunt, playing well, getting a permanent deal and doing SEA since. They turned a blind eye to his behaviour at arsenal and city, dreaming he would be different with them. The pity is he has loads of talent, and if he wants to make a point to avb he could do well for a while again

think ther is a golden rule , in any team sport , if your dropped , outwardly you support your team-mates - and inside hurt like **** , and hope for not the best (certainly thats how i felt on the many times I was dropped in various sports .. horrible fealing, but you dont let others know) - sign of great sportsmen for me , is when they bounce back after been dropped in a dignified manner , not shoving 2 fingers to your team , so publicly after a thrashing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The vast majority of us are not happy to have ousted him.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    The vast majority of us are not happy to have ousted him.

Flavour from the Spurs forum:
    he had to go
    a sad day but the right decision
    Over-reaction? Did you even watch the Man City and Liverpool games? We were all at sea. We could have lost 10-0 at City if they had wanted it.
    just my opionin,
    we have looked awful this season, got away with for a little while but now the hammerings have started.
    Just had to go
    eoinola wrote: »
    baldini to link up with capello again.......

i for one am disappointed the way the AVB reign has turned out. I was very pro his appointment but unfortunately it hasn't worked out due to a number of reasons such as:

1) his inability to change his approach on match day. We pretty much play the same way (high line, one striker etc) against every team (home & away) no matter what the standard of the team hence why we really struggle to beat (lost against some) the weaker teams and have been found out hugely by a few of the bigger teams.

2) His (or the clubs) inability to get a decent left full which has been required for a number of years now.. Id say liverpool couldnt wait to get at naughton and dawson yesterday and by god they did!!! Naughtons last days at spurs and dawsons?

3) Continued lack of goals from set plays (corners and frees) which is beyond a joke now. We pose no threat whatsoever from set plays!!! But continue to look vulnerable defending them.

4) Rant at the papers and fans over last few weeks... huge negative effect on club and team - levy would have been infuriated by this especially as he hated the whole harry media circus.

5) The possible negative influence of Baldini re players bought etc and also maybe touting to levy about Capello??

6) injured players in crucial positions (Rose at LB, Sandro at start of season, Kaboul, Verts)

I am not sure who will get the job now but for one thing it has to be a step forward (not "harry" back) we need a motivator of sorts plus someone tactically able - i like the idea of Hoddle (was great for england until his witch doctor gaffe!!) he is past all that now and possibly worth a short term go. After that who else is free Hiddink?

As for where next re the seasons goals? hard to gauge? how will players react? new manager? etc all huge decisions ahead of a busy few weeks..

Is it the right time for AVB to go? - well the fact is that it doesn't matter now - he is gone and wont be back so need to move on asap...
    Had to go. Refused to alter tactics and we got bet black and blue by teams we should be competing with (and west spam - although that was a freak) Playing Daws in the high line was an accident waiting to happen, Soldado isolated - not his faul he is not scoring. I new manager with a fresh approach will do wonders for this team, we are well capable of finishing in the top 4 still. A manager with top level prem experience is what we need - def not capello isnt he contracted to Russia anyway? Mancini for me - although he is in the CL with Gala and probably wound be prised away. Hiddink would be a good pick also, but not sure if he wants a day to day role anymore.
    yiddo59 wrote: »
    Thought he might hang onto after Wednesday but after yesterday he was on borrowed time.
    Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Managers come and go at Tottenham, I've come to accept it. West Ham on Wednesday more importantly. Hopefully see a noticeable difference from the bland display I've watched this season.
    tippspur wrote: »
    I'm shocked that some people on here say that they are 'shocked' that AVB got the boot this morning,if you were at WHL yesterday like I was and witnessed that horror show you would know why Levy did what he did.
    What the chairman should do now is offer the present Southampton manager whatever he wants to take Spurs job.
    DeanAustin wrote: »
    It's doing my head in that the usual "Sacking the manager is madness. You need stability. In 1986, if United had sacked Alex Ferguson..." types are out in force.

Persisting with a man that doesn't know what he's doing is not going to bring success. The signs were there that AVB hadn't a clue what to do with the resources at his disposal. He looked lost. That's why he was sacked.
    golfball37 wrote: »
    I really believed in Santa Claus too until I grew up.

He was a disaster who wouldn't change his ways so he wouldn't have turned it around. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and I'm glad we acted now eventhough I was advocating a change even before the City defeat.

Its not the 5's and 6's that were the problem it was the nils and the prospect of that changing anytime soon was non existent under this coach imo.
    mushykeogh wrote: »
    I struggle to understand how people thought this! A disaster in english football and proved to be pretty clueless, improved his man management skills but maintained the high line defence that got him sacked in chelsea. We were going no where and fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why sack him in mid-season without a replacement lined up. Is Sherwood in the interim a good idea, a manager with zero top flight experience? Can they really expect a top 4 challenge under him.

Levy sacked Ramos and Redknapp immediately came in.

IMO the players they have signed lack star quality. Every top team in the division has a standout player(s). For years Spurs have had a piece of Silver worth selling for a handsome profit every season but now I just dont see anything worth selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sandro

There you go, an example of one player they have with star quality to disagree with you post :)

I do agree that sacking him mid way through the season with no replacement ready to go was stupid

I think sacking him was stupid in the first place though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I am pie wrote: »
    Why would Simeone leave Atletico Madrid to go to Spurs? His side are challenging for La Liga. If he finishes above Barca or Real Madrid he'll have a lot bigger offers than Spurs.

That's a big if though.They look amazing and could win anything they're in this year.But if Spurs threw a couple of million his way and made it worth his while he might oblige.Can Atletico really break the stranglehold the big 2 have in Spain for more than a year or two?After a while he could become a victim of his own success.Spurs would represent a fresh challenge with a good squad to mold into his own and probably cash to improve as well.Like I said it'd have to be worth his while financially.

What other jobs could be up for grabs?Monaco and AC look the only clear possibilities.Whether Monaco is bigger is arguable and AC might not be his cup of tea being a former Inter player.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Flavour from the Spurs forum:

The general consensus now is that Levy is the problem. We were singing his praises due to the summer transfer window, but this was a big mistake (especially if there's no one to take over). As for AVB, no doubt there were people looking for him to go, but there were also quite a few fans who never got behind him in the first place. When we did well, they kept quiet, but quickly resurfaced when we were poor. I can't say i enjoyed how we were playing, as it was pretty crap to watch, but it's not like we're in crisis. He needed more time.

I'd say he's happy enough to be gone to be honest. Sounds like Levi was trying to make him change his tactics, and he refused. And rightly so...regardless of if his tactics were working or not, he was the manager and it was his choice.

I've pretty much written this season off now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

bradlente wrote: »
    That's a big if though.They look amazing and could win anything they're in this year.But if Spurs threw a couple of million his way and made it worth his while he might oblige.Can Atletico really break the stranglehold the big 2 have in Spain for more than a year or two?After a while he could become a victim of his own success.Spurs would represent a fresh challenge with a good squad to mold into his own and probably cash to improve as well.Like I said it'd have to be worth his while financially.

What other jobs could be up for grabs?Monaco and AC look the only clear possibilities.Whether Monaco is bigger is arguable and AC might not be his cup of tea being a former Inter player.

Whatever chance there is of Simeone leaving Atletico there's absolutely no way it would be to take the Tottenham job. It would be a big backwards step for him no matter how much he was offered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Whatever chance there is of Simeone leaving Atletico there's absolutely no way it would be to take the Tottenham job. It would be a big backwards step for him no matter how much he was offered
    Massive backwards step. He is currently legitimately competing with 2 of the 3 best teams in the world. He'd have to be nuts to drop all that to go play in the Europa this season and probably next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ferdinand out quickly this week saying AVB signed off on all the transfers that came into the club. Alot of UK journalists pulling in the wagons championing Hoddle and of course blaming AVB. However on the international front alot of outlets seem to indicate Boas did not sanction all the signings.

Levy get's way too much praise imo. His crast way of dealing with clubs to pinch every penny burns bridges and I think he got his just deserts overspending in the summer on some average players. with 100m Totenham were better served buying in two world class players, rather then a rake of "potential" targets.

At the same time, I'd love to hear what went on behind the scenes. I'd say AVB put forward his usually logicial and intelligent assumption that this team would take time to gel, and that he was building a squad to mount for the title. Of course Levy now expects the side to be qualifying for the champions league and he will be on the manager merry go round until he gets it.

Needs to be some realisation that the club has no right or tradition to the top 4 or champions league, and they have been on an impressive upward spiral. Firing a manager who for all intensive purposes has the ability to mount that challenge, is outragous.

AVB has come into two clubs where he has most likely been promised time to implement his ideas that he clearly laid out, burnt twice. I'd imagine he will give two fingers to the premier league and go back abroad, and I genuinely hope he does. I like him as a manager and coach and I'm sure he will have plenty of success elsewhere.

Don't think Sherwood is the answer.

Seems to have a high opinion of himself too from interviews I've seen.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Ferdinand out quickly this week saying AVB signed off on all the transfers that came into the club. Alot of UK journalists pulling in the wagons championing Hoddle and of course blaming AVB. However on the international front alot of outlets seem to indicate Boas did not sanction all the signings.

Levy get's way too much praise imo. His crast way of dealing with clubs to pinch every penny burns bridges and I think he got his just deserts overspending in the summer on some average players. with 100m Totenham were better served buying in two world class players, rather then a rake of "potential" targets.

At the same time, I'd love to hear what went on behind the scenes. I'd say AVB put forward his usually logicial and intelligent assumption that this team would take time to gel, and that he was building a squad to mount for the title. Of course Levy now expects the side to be qualifying for the champions league and he will be on the manager merry go round until he gets it.

Needs to be some realisation that the club has no right or tradition to the top 4 or champions league, and they have been on an impressive upward spiral. Firing a manager who for all intensive purposes has the ability to mount that challenge, is outragous.

AVB has come into two clubs where he has most likely been promised time to implement his ideas that he clearly laid out, burnt twice. I'd imagine he will give two fingers to the premier league and go back abroad, and I genuinely hope he does. I like him as a manager and coach and I'm sure he will have plenty of success elsewhere.

AVB has been naive with all this building for the future craic.

The reality is it's all about now.

djPSB wrote: »

As far as the now is concerned they're 5 points off goal with 16 games played, while alive in all cup competitions. The 'now' wasn't at all bad, it's just something that seemed to escape Levy and a large swathe of the Spurs fanbase (disagree with kilth on there being a large consensus against the sacking).

At Spurs the issue has been style of football and shipping a couple of heavy marquee defeats against superior opposition. At Chelsea the issue was alienating the older money players in the squad. These things created the vulnerability, the detals of the argument over tactics and selection are just padding really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

djPSB wrote: »

The indication is that he on two occasions , with Chelsea and Sours, provided two excellent presentations during the interview process that outlined his vision for the club and where he wanted to go.

If anyone assumes throwing 100m at a Spurs side is going to turn them into god given title contenders, they are utterly mental. Any gob****e knows it takes time for such a newly formed side to settle. Look at City, they took 2-3 seasons after the initial spending splurge, and an FA cup before they were ready to mount a title challenge and win it.

By all accounts, Spurs could have contended for the Europa League, which no disrespect, is a good competition for them, to be getting some European experience. They have absolutely no history or right to be claiming for the champions league. One good result against a shambolic Inter Milan with a degrading Maicon does not equal Champions League right year on year.

If Levy thinks throwing a few bob at the squad and getting instant results is the norm, Spurs can forget about their nice progression and enjoy going back to languishing in the bottom half of the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

TheDoc wrote: »
    The indication is that he on two occasions , with Chelsea and Sours, provided two excellent presentations during the interview process that outlined his vision for the club and where he wanted to go.

If anyone assumes throwing 100m at a Spurs side is going to turn them into god given title contenders, they are utterly mental. Any gob****e knows it takes time for such a newly formed side to settle. Look at City, they took 2-3 seasons after the initial spending splurge, and an FA cup before they were ready to mount a title challenge and win it.

By all accounts, Spurs could have contended for the Europa League, which no disrespect, is a good competition for them, to be getting some European experience. They have absolutely no history or right to be claiming for the champions league. One good result against a shambolic Inter Milan with a degrading Maicon does not equal Champions League right year on year.

If Levy thinks throwing a few bob at the squad and getting instant results is the norm, Spurs can forget about their nice progression and enjoy going back to languishing in the bottom half of the table.

How far back does you football memory go lol? Is it just until oligarchs arrived in the premiership splurging cash on two bob clubs like Chelsea? No history... fck off and learn your facts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why did they hire a young coach so if they aren't thinking long term?
    Surely someone older and more accomplished would suit there aims?
    Why buy a team of young foreigners in the summer who have never played in this league if you want an immediate impact?

Liverpool took a similar approach with a young manager in Brendan Rodgers, gave him one patchy season that showed a lot of promise and are reaping the benefits now. They could very well have CL football by the end of the season after years of midtable mediocrity mainly due to trying to plug short terms needs. Long term is the way to go imo as long as there is signs of promise. AVB should have been given longer.

That Bale money was badly spent, 2/3 top class additions would have been much easier to integrate into an already strong squad.

Levy has got a lot to answer for imo.

As far as the now is concerned they're 5 points off goal with 16 games played, while alive in all cup competitions. The 'now' wasn't at all bad, it's just something that seemed to escape Levy and a large swathe of the Spurs fanbase (disagree with kilth on there being a large consensus against the sacking).

At Spurs the issue has been style of football and shipping a couple of heavy marquee defeats against superior opposition. At Chelsea the issue was alienating the older money players in the squad. These things created the vulnerability, the detals of the argument over tactics and selection are just padding really.

Results aside, they've been terrible all season with no signs of improving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement