Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVB has been sacked, Sherwood appointed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

When you think about it, does anybody actually believe that AVB sanctioned the spend of £30m on Lamela and then proceed to not give him many opportunities nor play him in his natural position (right wing forward) ?

It doesn't make any sense unless he just wasn't AVB's signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Dempsey wrote: »
    Why are you getting so wound up? Its really funny tbh

Ferdinand wasnt going to say anything else given his position at the club and the fact that he's also looking to get a promotion. What someone in his position has to say is taken with a pinch of salt imo.

You seem very excited about the idea of confidentiality clauses. You do realise that they are used in many industries including football?

As I keep saying, you go ahead and believe what you like.

As for football manager, stopped playing that a long time ago. Too time consuming & very poor AI. I fail to see how football manager has anything to do with this though. Thats a game, this is reality. Are you trying to make the accusation of playing too much football manager the Godwin's Law of football forums?

We'll find out in the coming weeks what the true story is lets just agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

Blatter wrote: »
    When you think about it, does anybody actually believe that AVB sanctioned the spend of £30m on Lamela and then proceed to not give him many opportunities nor play him in his natural position (right wing forward) ?

I agree on that,the more I think of it he knew he had to bring him on at Arsenal. He hadn't even seen him play previously. After that he decided probably in training he wasn't good enough, or not for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Blatter wrote: »

Baldini doing his ex employers one last favour i guess :D

Its a strange one if true about him only wanting so many of the signings, why utilise soldado so badly if he is a signing he wanted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Carlos Queiroz was asked about the job and gave a gushing answer.

Spurs could a lot better than him. I think he's a total spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Carlos Queiroz was asked about the job and gave a gushing answer.

Spurs could a lot better than him. I think he's a total spoofer.

He's a top top class No 2. Very highly regarded at Utd as far as I know.

That doesnt always transfer into being a great Numero Uno though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Tim Sherwood would get the job if he was foreign according to the UK's number one importer of average foreign players, Harry Redknapp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Tim Sherwood would get the job if he was foreign according to the UK's number one importer of average foreign players, Harry Redknapp

Arry seemed angry in his ranting, and tbh bordering on racist old man, Tim won't get the job because his got zero experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Tim Sherwood has been handed a 18 month contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

nuxxx wrote: »

very odd decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No chance he lasts 18 months. Gone in the summer when their main target is available to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Only keeping the seat warm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Paully D wrote: »
    No chance he lasts 18 months. Gone in the summer when their main target is available to take over.
    This will be entertaining at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Sherwood needs to bring in Glenn Hoddle as his number two. Ossie Ardiles as defensive coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Something very, very strange there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Sham contract.

If levy believed in him, it would be 2 1/2 years deal minimum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

As a Blackburn fan I wish Sherwood all the best.

As others have said though, he is keeping the seat warm.

Silly season indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Levy out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Contract until the end of next season or not, Sherwood will be gone unless he gets Spurs into the top 4. No way Levy won't be putting feelers out to interested managers between now and the Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

how Levy thinks Sherwood is better equipped than AVB should be beyond anyone.

farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if this appointment actually worked out. He's already shown that he's willing to build bridges with players who AVB alienated. Adebayor has got 3 goals from 2 already, let's see what more he can do. I would also say that even though Soldado missed a few howlers, for the first time he was getting several chances and actually looking like he was enjoying himself on the field. Right now, with a new manager in, it's all about Sherwood trying to rebuild the team's shattered confidence. The coming games against, they have two winnable games against Stoke and West Brom. If the team can be turned around, then they might just take points from United/Arsenal after that.

Something had to change and there's no way that Sherwood could get the team playing any worse that what AVB had done to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I don't understand sacking Avb if you've not got someone better lined up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Like I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if this appointment actually worked out. He's already shown that he's willing to build bridges with players who AVB alienated. Adebayor has got 3 goals from 2 already, let's see what more he can do. I would also say that even though Soldado missed a few howlers, for the first time he was getting several chances and actually looking like he was enjoying himself on the field. Right now, with a new manager in, it's all about Sherwood trying to rebuild the team's shattered confidence. The coming games against, they have two winnable games against Stoke and West Brom. If the team can be turned around, then they might just take points from United/Arsenal after that.

Something had to change and there's no way that Sherwood could get the team playing any worse that what AVB had done to it.
    But what about when the honeymoon is over and Spurs need a manager of class at the highest level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

CSF wrote: »
    But what about when the honeymoon is over and Spurs need a manager of class at the highest level?

Sure, no bother. The tabloids will tell them what to do :D

CSF wrote: »
    It's a win-win situation for Levy.

1. If Spurs secure top 4, Levy can claim it was his genius decision to appoint Sherwood.
    2. If Spurs failed to finish top 4, Levy can just claim Sherwood was an interim manager and bring in a big name.

Most likely scenario right now is that Spurs finish outside of the top 4, Sherwood gets sacked and Van Gaal/Capello/whoever is brought in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

At some stage Levy has to be accountable for the hiring/firing.Sacking AVB and bringing Sherwood is a very strange move imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thread title updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

At the risk of being quoted later in the season and having a lot of egg on my face, I can only say this is a laughable and farcical appointment.

I said to a Spurs mate that is they appointed Hoddle they would be a laughing stock. I didn't think they'd go one better.

A manager with zero experience in the game. I would be pulling my hair out if I was a Spurs fan.

I can only call it as I see this and say that it is a shocking appointment, in every meaning of the word.

It might be good short term for them bringing in Sherwood, he'll get players back onside that AVB cast away and coudl turn around some results.

In fact its nearly a carbon copy fo AVB's time with Chelsea, bar him getting an extra year at Spurs, his man management has to improve, hes got a good skill set for a coach but the personal touch seems to be lacking to a degree.

I'd be surprised if Sherwood is stil in a job come the satrt of next season though as much better candidates may become available.

Huge gamble

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Has Sherwood even got the badges?

Agueroooo wrote: »

Apparently not but sometimes exceptions are made, especially if the manager is in the process of earning them or working towards them.

Not sure what the story is though if he wants to be on the sideline for the Europa League games, you'd assume UEFA would make similar exceptaions and follow the EPL decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They just got lumbered. Levy sacked AVB without even considering if a decent manager would want to work under him at Spurs. Turns out they don't and that they're now stuck with someone who's never managed a team before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Apparently not but sometimes exceptions are made, especially if the manager is in the process of earning them or working towards them.

Not sure what the story is though if he wants to be on the sideline for the Europa League games, you'd assume UEFA would make similar exceptaions and follow the EPL decision.

He's got all his badges except the Uefa Pro licence I believe.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/23/tim-sherwood-tottenham-hotspur-manager
    Sherwood has his level one, two and three coaching badges, plus the Uefa A and B licences but he must now obtain the Uefa Pro Licence, which is a prerequisite for Premier League managers. He must demonstrate a commitment to sign up for a Pro Licence course by Monday 10 March; the League's deadline is 12 weeks after a manager is promoted to the role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

According to reports I've read, he hasn't the pro badge.

Tottenham are pulling a Wolverhampton imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is Sherwood highly thought of within the game and what was his main role there the last couple of season's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Levy is like Santa Claus in the eyes of 19 other PL fans. Times like this I wish Berba was unbanned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Levy is some accountant.

a shambles at everything else though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

yabadabado wrote: »
    Is Sherwood highly thought of within the game and what was his main role there the last couple of season's?
    Sherwood has built himself a very good reputation over the last couple of years at spurs. He started out with the underage players but got involved at every level to learn the ropes. He has been mentioned over the last 12 months as a potential candidate to move into management away from Tottenham but he has gotten the big job sooner than expected.
    Having been Captain of Blackburn when they won the Premier League he clearly has great leadership qualities about him, he always comes across as a bright guy too. I think he will do well there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think he will do well there.

Of course you do. He captained your team to a PL title. In the real world, he will not be a real success at Spurs. He may do ok for a few weeks, but anything more than that is incredibly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Of course you do. He captained your team to a PL title. In the real world, he will not be a real success at Spurs. He may do ok for a few weeks, but anything more than that is incredibly unlikely.
    I think I've clearly explained my reasons for thinking he will do well. Fact that he was Captain of my club when they won the EPL really doesn't factor into it.

Shearer was a legend at Rovers and I've always said I don't fancy him in management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If ever I saw an appointment destined to fail it's this. Newbie manager takes over one of the biggest jobs in England with them having spent 100m on players during the summer.

Managers get no time in this league, let alone when your CV can be written on a beermat.a run of 5 bad league results and he'll be gone too.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think I've clearly explained my reasons for thinking he will do well.

You haven't given any genuine reason to think he'll be a success at all. All you've said is he's done some work with different age levels & people thought he might start out in management at some stage.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    You haven't given any genuine reason to think he'll be a success at all. All you've said is he's done some work with different age levels & people thought he might start out in management at some stage.
    No one can say whether he will or won't be a success. The question you have to ask is whether he is a better option than AVB. Even at this stagem I would have to say he is. By just bring Adebayor back into the fold and trying to play to Soldado's strengths, all of a sudden, Spurs showed they had the attacking ability to carve open one of the stingiest defences in the league.

Some similarities between AVB and Roy Keane the more you think about it.

No one can say whether he will or won't be a success. The question you have to ask is whether he is a better option than AVB. Even at this stagem I would have to say he is. By just bring Adebayor back into the fold and trying to play to Soldado's strengths, all of a sudden, Spurs showed they had the attacking ability to carve open one of the stingiest defences in the league.

So it doesn't matter who the manager is then as long as its not AVB?

kryogen wrote: »

Seems to be the logic alright. Very strange.

kryogen wrote: »
    I never said that.

The manager needs to rebuild confidence and get the best out of the players that are available to him. After AVB, Spurs couldn't have looked a more dejected team, so any change in management was going to be an improvement. As for getting the best out of players, Sherwood has already surpassed AVB in this regard by not being a slave to a system and by changing the system and recalling Adebayor. Soldado may have missed sitters, but at least he was finally getting chances last Sunday. I will put money on it that Sherwood will be able to get more than 1 goal from open play than AVB did in his half of the season.

Overall, Sherwood probably won't be the answer, but he should do until Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

In any other line of work no top job would go to a guy with so little experience. He worked with the youth teams? So what? Won the EPL as captain, again so what? Man U have just taken on a manager with little experience of success, of working with top line players and despite him having years of experience of management he is finding out how difficult the step up is and we are expected that the big plan of Spurs is to get rid of a Europa Cup winning manager and replace him with effectivley the job bridge intern?

He may work out, but it is one hell of a gamble? Spend the biggest winfall the club is likely to get for many years and hand the keys to the lad with no experience. I'm sure the guy knows about football but so did Keane, Ince, Di Canio etc. There is a big differnce in dealing with youth players who basically rely on you for their future and in dealing with a squad of top players who don't 'need' the club and can move fairly easily.

Advertisement