Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVB sacked

Options
  • 16-12-2013 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Goneski....

top 4 is definitely out of the question now

Fruend presumably the interim manager until we hire Harry back...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

Emoran wrote: »
    Goneski....

top 4 is definitely out of the question now

Fruend presumably the interim manager until we hire Harry back...

Ffs levy with the trigger finger, deep down we all knew this was coming. Dont fancy freund what now????

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

:( Just heard - shocked to say the least. No room for results like yesterday. Really really sad to see him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

arwh fookng hell.

Another season to be written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Very disappointed. I really wished he could turn it around. Sherwood to step in?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGoPduyf4E2f2ZqFyqe0qBb7TziSWY7g7Lj_WeVrJfOGwGt4BeAw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Terrible decision. Knee-jerk over-reaction. Who will we get now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

he had to go
    a sad day but the right decision

• Over-reaction? Did you even watch the Man City and Liverpool games? We were all at sea. We could have lost 10-0 at City if they had wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

he had to go
    a sad day but the right decision

Why though? This is coming from a club that use a director of football. AVB did not sign those players. The director of football decides who to buy and then the manager gets the sack for not being able to get those players to work together. Spurs have destroyed AVB career, he wont manage in the premier league again.

Wrong decision, Fabio Cappello will be hired to replace him and Spurs will play the most boring football in the league...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

logik wrote: »
    Why though? This is coming from a club that use a director of football. AVB did not sign those players. The director of football decides who to buy and then the manager gets the sack for not being able to get those players to work together. Spurs have destroyed AVB career, he wont manage in the premier league again.

Wrong decision, Fabio Cappello will be hired to replace him and Spurs will play the most boring football in the league...

just my opionin,
    we have looked awful this season, got away with for a little while but now the hammerings have started.
    Just had to go

• Advertisement

I would have liked to see him given 2-3 more games.

With Levy's record, god knows who we will end up with now. Some flavour of the month no doubt. Laudrup or Martinez.

How about someone with proven pedigree. Someone who has actually one league titles in the top leagues of europe.

And good God - anyone but Benitez

what about a certain mister Jol?

In other news, where the hell is Saab Ed!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

baldini to link up with capello again.......

i for one am disappointed the way the AVB reign has turned out. I was very pro his appointment but unfortunately it hasn't worked out due to a number of reasons such as:

1) his inability to change his approach on match day. We pretty much play the same way (high line, one striker etc) against every team (home & away) no matter what the standard of the team hence why we really struggle to beat (lost against some) the weaker teams and have been found out hugely by a few of the bigger teams.

2) His (or the clubs) inability to get a decent left full which has been required for a number of years now.. Id say liverpool couldnt wait to get at naughton and dawson yesterday and by god they did!!! Naughtons last days at spurs and dawsons?

3) Continued lack of goals from set plays (corners and frees) which is beyond a joke now. We pose no threat whatsoever from set plays!!! But continue to look vulnerable defending them.

4) Rant at the papers and fans over last few weeks... huge negative effect on club and team - levy would have been infuriated by this especially as he hated the whole harry media circus.

5) The possible negative influence of Baldini re players bought etc and also maybe touting to levy about Capello??

6) injured players in crucial positions (Rose at LB, Sandro at start of season, Kaboul, Verts)

I am not sure who will get the job now but for one thing it has to be a step forward (not "harry" back) we need a motivator of sorts plus someone tactically able - i like the idea of Hoddle (was great for england until his witch doctor gaffe!!) he is past all that now and possibly worth a short term go. After that who else is free Hiddink?

As for where next re the seasons goals? hard to gauge? how will players react? new manager? etc all huge decisions ahead of a busy few weeks..

Is it the right time for AVB to go? - well the fact is that it doesn't matter now - he is gone and wont be back so need to move on asap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

Had to go. Refused to alter tactics and we got bet black and blue by teams we should be competing with (and west spam - although that was a freak) Playing Daws in the high line was an accident waiting to happen, Soldado isolated - not his faul he is not scoring. I new manager with a fresh approach will do wonders for this team, we are well capable of finishing in the top 4 still. A manager with top level prem experience is what we need - def not capello isnt he contracted to Russia anyway? Mancini for me - although he is in the CL with Gala and probably wound be prised away. Hiddink would be a good pick also, but not sure if he wants a day to day role anymore.

eoinola wrote: »
    i like the idea of Hoddle (was great for england until his witch doctor gaffe!!) he is past all that now and possibly worth a short term go.

I loved Hoddle as a player. I really like him as a pundit, he knows football and tends to get predictions right, though he's not a manager.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Stupid decision, but no less than I've come to expect from football these days. I can only hope Levy at least has someone lined up to replace him quickly, and we're not without a manager for long.

And Hoddle? Jesus wept lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Honestly think Capello is being lined up for the job lads, why?

1. I couldn't see Levy wielding the axe if he hadn't already sounded out a replacement. We could go into freefall if the likes of Sherwood took over...
    2. @DavidJonesSky "told by a very good source last week that AVB actually wanted to leave Spurs himself because he was so unhappy"
    3. Baldini was probably told to sound out a replacement for him, first stop Capello..

Listening to this panel, look at Spurs from a top managers perspective, great squad, big club, the only top job left in English football for a good while..

Frank Rijkaard is out of a job.

He did well with Barcelona and Galatasaray. Also plays a nice brand of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Please not Capello you might as well bring in Trap if your going to hire Capello! Plus Italian defensive style football is not the Spurs way! Rijkaard would be a good choice!

Also don't like this Baldini chap, when his managerial appointment fails then he'll be sent down the road like Comolli and Ramos! Levy needs to shoulder a lot of the blame I would think that if Baldini wasn't there AVB would have spent the 100M a lot differently then the bunch of players Baldini spent the money on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Thought he might hang onto after Wednesday but after yesterday he was on borrowed time.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Honestly think Capello is being lined up for the job lads, why?

1. I couldn't see Levy wielding the axe if he hadn't already sounded out a replacement. We could go into freefall if the likes of Sherwood took over...
    2. @DavidJonesSky "told by a very good source last week that AVB actually wanted to leave Spurs himself because he was so unhappy"
    3. Baldini was probably told to sound out a replacement for him, first stop Capello..

Listening to this panel, look at Spurs from a top managers perspective, great squad, big club, the only top job left in English football for a good while..

I think point no 2 could have some truth in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Managers come and go at Tottenham, I've come to accept it. West Ham on Wednesday more importantly. Hopefully see a noticeable difference from the bland display I've watched this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

jokeshop of a decision by an idiot of a chairman. As burkenshaw said years ago 'there used to be a football club there..." AVB's stats show that he had over a 50% win ratio.. but then again lets no let that get in the way of current form. It'll be capello for sure, and this means a return to boring football with some decent low scoring wins and clean sheets... sound familiar? sound something like what was going on under AVB at the start of the season? The problem with having one of the best defensive records in european football, which we had, was that the supporters complained and didnt think it was entertaining enough, so AVB changed it up a little and as a result we start letting in a load of goals. I for one hope that he was unhappy and agreed to go because he was disappointed in not getting players he wanted in two transfer windows and the overall set up at the club. Sometimes it really makes you wonder if we are truly f*cked to have someone running things like levy who will make decisions on a whim.
    AVB... Best of luck to him in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Fcuking jokeshop club.. What does it take to give a manager time?? Absolutely disgusted by this..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Don't usually listen to what Duncan Castles has to say but it appears the writing was on the wall....
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/12/09/4465213/villas-boas-tottenham-future-still-in-doubt-as-levy-tensions?ICID=CP_105

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Equium

I'm in two minds - On the one hand AVB had a difficult job in trying to improve a side that has lost its 3 best players in recent seasons. The newest replacements haven't had enough time to gel and settle in. Spurs recorded their highest points tally in the PL era under his stewardship last season too, so I thought that he may have earned some time to turn things around.

On the other hand, though, performances have been rotten this season. They haven't beaten any of the decent opposition faced so far, and what was a solid defence early on is now haemorrhaging goals. Neither Liverpool nor City had to be particularly great to put a combined 11 goals past Spurs. In the attacking department, too, there doesn't seem to be any game plan. The fact that there has been little improvement in either regard has been the deciding factor for Levy.

We'll appoint someone next week, win 3 or 4 on the bounce. Lamela will score in all 4 games, Erickson will set them all up and Dawson will get MOTM in each game and we'll be saying 'Isn't Levy the clever fella' until another 17 months down the line when he gets itching feet again and slings the next one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

just my opionin,
    we have looked awful this season, got away with for a little while but now the hammerings have started.
    Just had to go

You're some clown if you think this was a good decision for the club. This is going to set us way back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Who spent the 100 million on players that don't work, was it levy. Think they sacked the wrong man. Having said that AVB did have some questions to answer his tactics of late have been a bit odd.

Advertisement